I quit

Rjan:
I think for many, this perspective was forged in the days when you could find the rates and conditions that you wanted, regulations were fewer, plans less chaotic, you generally knew what you were doing ahead of time, most guys had an assigned wagon, there was a settled set of faces at work, and you had a stack of A-Zs and you were left to get on with the job during the day. And like frogs sitting in water slowly brought to the boil, they haven’t noticed the temperature change.

Like the analogy Rjan, pretty much spot on in my book, although I would change the comparison from frogs over to lobsters.

I get the feeling that some of these too "macho " “no family life” “no backbone/ no balls” “older drivers” comments are directed at myself and others here .
Firstly let me say it dosen’t bother me in the slightest but before you throw the comment understand where I’m at and where I’ve come from .
Been at this game 20 years and been married for 20 years as well . The missis and I have a great relationship and she is one of a very few that puts up with me . If not for her I couldn’t do what I do .
As you will know I’m from Northern Ireland and back then if you wanted to make money , real money , the kind of money that would set you up for a comfortable lifestlye driving trucks was one way to go. Problem was like many jobs if you wanted to be home every night the rates were not that good , to make real money you had to do whats called “cross chanel work” and thats where I ended up - working to a subby pulling Interland (now DFDS) trailers .
You were out on the boat Sunday and back in the yard on a Suturday morning . As Bigtruck said further up this thread if you did get on a boat mid week you were coming home for fuel , and to tip and reload and straight back out on the boat - no running home to your own bed . Mostly though you got a call coming up the road " ship that trailer out of Liverpool Heysham or Cairnryan and theres one waiting for you to go back down the road .You were "out " for the week and you worked (yes a lot of the stories are true but not all . Ive never seen the fabled hanging beef load with the plate steel in below ). When you got home you washed and fuelled the truck took it home and fell into a coma until Sunday morning and you went and did it all again . Rinse and repeat until you had an acident or “the ministry” (DOT , VOSA, DVSA) caught up with you ,or you caught yourself on and looked for something better .
I lasted 3 years before looking elsewhere and got a nice “handy” job round home pulling secondry haulage milk tankers . You started at 5 and finished when the work was all done - no such thing as 10hrs drive 15 hour spread , you did it and got on with it . when you had a chance you got your head down and got a few hours .It was easier to take a few hours in the truck rather than run home wasting an hour each way .
Again it didn’t last and for a few years I was out of driving as a main job but still did a load at the weekend to top up the miserable wages of a manual labouring job round home .
Through a part time job I ended up with the job I have now - and it is a good job -
good pay (but it could always be better )
good conditions
good work
and a decent truck .
I’m happy the wife is happy and so is the boss .
The boss knows my histroy and knows I dont mind pulling either tanks , fridges , curtains or flats. He knows I like a variety of work so he dosen’t keep me on the one job all the time cos I get bored easily - that said I do have a regular run every other weekend thats an absolute doddle and I like doing it .I also know that because I have a flexible attitude I will get the kind of work that will mean I will on occasion run up against my 10/9 hour drive 15 hour spread. I have "my own " truck in as much as I drive it through the week and a very few select drivers get it at the weekend when I’m not there - and they keep it as clean and tidy as I do ( which is more important to the boss ). Thats means I have the inverter , the microwave ,the fridge, the gas stove , kettle saucepans etc etc in the truck and a supply of teabags , coffee tins of soup etc etc . Its not luxury , I’d never say it was , its there for my benifit, it helps me when I have a short day and know whats happening the next day . If I’m up for a "monster "as someone else called it I can choose to use a few hours today to help me tomorrow and the night out helps balance that out .
I can and do say no as well . I try to keep my social life for when I’m off work but if something has to be done when I’m working I tell the office as soon as I know its happening so they can plan to get me home. 99%of the time it works out, sometimes it dosen’t - I don’t take the mickey , I don’t beleive the office does either . If I get that feeling I’ll tell them once after that if I think it happens again - I’m gone , truck will be brought back to the yard washed and cleaned out .
I feel sorry for the newcomers today . They think its all about them , they don’t seem to realise whats expected , we can’t get men that will do a couple of nights out in a row in Scotland , We can’t get drivers to pull tanks or to pull a flat trailer - they have no idea how to secure a load on a flat never mind rope and sheet and they don’t want to learn . And for me thats a problem - I never refused training (or as it was called back then - how to do your job ) even when you knew it was going to land you into something you may not have wanted to be at . I learned to rope and sheet by myself - the first few times it was nothing great but I watched others , I asked questions and asked to be shown how to do things . Thats the kind of thing that used to be talked about in "drivers waiting rooms " (the yard ) back then .
Do I like living in a truck ? not particularly but I try to make it as plesant as possible when I have to .
Do I enjoy what I do ? most definately or its really simple - I wouldn’t be there .
Compared to 20 years ago - I have it easy now but I put the hours in then and now , if your not prepared to be flexible , learn and adapt then your future in trucking / driving is limited.
Now if you have read and understood all that - call me whatever you like (I’ll let you into a secret before you do - I DON’T CARE lol )

^^^^^^ Absolutely excellent Beefy 100 % this ^^^^^^

^^^^^^
As above.
Makes me wonder how some drivers cope when away on holiday, a constant craving to be back at home maybe…

Janos:
Doesn’t this issue and the debate and comments that follow on this thread hit at the heart of what is fundamentally wrong with the industry?

The long and short of it is that the driver has a fundamental right to be treated with respect, and not be the victim of cunning game playing, that benefits the business in the short term, but not the driver who has to eke out a night in a tin box with possibly no food and bedding. If the job is short notice, and is so lucrative, then there has to be enough in the rate to get the driver into the nearest Travelodge.

What other line of business or industry treats their workers like this? Why act like this, when it is so corrosive to morale? What is wrong with a happy and motivated workforce? Seems to me that some are hell-bent on making a drivers role as miserable a post as it can possibly be.

Another aspect of this is the ‘too macho’ trucking brigade. The fact that some view this job as a ‘lifestyle’ is beyond me. I have never met anybody, in any other trade who would consider giving up a social life, sport and family for a job. They then have the audacity to sneer at anybody who is not ‘living the dream’ in the cab like them. Like most of the older drivers on here, I have done my years doing the hard miles, and would not do it again, or make anybody do it, if they did not want to. So fair-play to the OP for standing his ground.

This, absolutely and utterly this.

Like you, I have done the years on the road in a truck. Now I do something else, and when I need to stay away I book a room and pay for it with my corporate credit card. I also pay for my dinner and breakfast with it. Touch wood, never once have I had any expense queried despite some of them having been for quite substantial amounts, but that’s because I don’t work for a ■■■■ firm that regards its employees as a commodity that are be used, abused and then discarded as and when it suits. In fact, I work for an employer that hopefully I will still be working for when it’s time to retire.

■■■■■■■■ to the idea of kipping on a mattress in a cab while still wearing my clothes and wondering whether I might have a chance for the three Ss the next morning.

As for your last paragraph, my teeth itch when I read the age-old cliche that truck driving is not a job but a way of life. No, it is not a way of life. Like all jobs, it is a means to earn as much as is possible while inputting the least effort. Those who do give up much of what in a normal person’s psyche constitutes living life in the name of banging in 70+ hours per week behind the wheel of a lorry want their heads looking at. They are crazy. Absolutely stone-cold crazy.

Olog Hai:

Janos:
Doesn’t this issue and the debate and comments that follow on this thread hit at the heart of what is fundamentally wrong with the industry?

The long and short of it is that the driver has a fundamental right to be treated with respect, and not be the victim of cunning game playing, that benefits the business in the short term, but not the driver who has to eke out a night in a tin box with possibly no food and bedding. If the job is short notice, and is so lucrative, then there has to be enough in the rate to get the driver into the nearest Travelodge.

What other line of business or industry treats their workers like this? Why act like this, when it is so corrosive to morale? What is wrong with a happy and motivated workforce? Seems to me that some are hell-bent on making a drivers role as miserable a post as it can possibly be.

Another aspect of this is the ‘too macho’ trucking brigade. The fact that some view this job as a ‘lifestyle’ is beyond me. I have never met anybody, in any other trade who would consider giving up a social life, sport and family for a job. They then have the audacity to sneer at anybody who is not ‘living the dream’ in the cab like them. Like most of the older drivers on here, I have done my years doing the hard miles, and would not do it again, or make anybody do it, if they did not want to. So fair-play to the OP for standing his ground.

Like you, I have done the years on the road in a truck. Now I do something else, and when I need to stay away I book a room and pay for it with my corporate credit card. I also pay for my dinner and breakfast with it. Touch wood, never once have I had any expense queried despite some of them having been for quite substantial amounts, but that’s because I don’t work for a [zb] firm that regards its employees as a commodity that are be used, abused and then discarded as and when it suits. In fact, I work for an employer that hopefully I will still be working for when it’s time to retire.

■■■■■■■■ to the idea of kipping on a mattress in a cab while still wearing my clothes and wondering whether I might have a chance for the three Ss the next morning.

As for your last paragraph, my teeth itch when I read the age-old cliche that truck driving is not a job but a way of life. No, it is not a way of life. Like all jobs, it is a means to earn as much as is possible while inputting the least effort. Those who do give up much of what in a normal person’s psyche constitutes living life in the name of banging in 70+ hours per week behind the wheel of a lorry want their heads looking at. They are crazy. Absolutely stone-cold crazy.

Sort of tells us all we need to know really.

Regards. John.

old 67:

Olog Hai:

Janos:

Like you, I have done the years on the road in a truck. Now I do something else, and when I need to stay away I book a room and pay for it with my corporate credit card. I also pay for my dinner and breakfast with it. Touch wood, never once have I had any expense queried despite some of them having been for quite substantial amounts, but that’s because I don’t work for a [zb] firm that regards its employees as a commodity that are be used, abused and then discarded as and when it suits. In fact, I work for an employer that hopefully I will still be working for when it’s time to retire.

Sort of tells us all we need to know really.

Regards. John.

Honestly when was the last time you saw a rich lorry driver ?
I’ve heard this nonsence lots of times - chasing the money , making as much as possible etc etc etc .
I’ll let you into a secret - you’ll never make enough - the more you get the more you will spend , bigger cars , bigger holidays , bigger credit card bills .
If you want advice heres mine and its free - find a job you like ,one you really like and stay at it . As for the money live on what you earn , don’t run up big bills . You will be much happier and a lot less stressed, you might even enjoy it .

beefy4605:
I get the feeling that some of these too "macho " “no family life” “no backbone/ no balls” “older drivers” comments are directed at myself and others here .
Firstly let me say it dosen’t bother me in the slightest but before you throw the comment understand where I’m at and where I’ve come from .
Been at this game 20 years and been married for 20 years as well . The missis and I have a great relationship and she is one of a very few that puts up with me . If not for her I couldn’t do what I do .
As you will know I’m from Northern Ireland and back then if you wanted to make money , real money , the kind of money that would set you up for a comfortable lifestlye driving trucks was one way to go. Problem was like many jobs if you wanted to be home every night the rates were not that good , to make real money you had to do whats called “cross chanel work” and thats where I ended up - working to a subby pulling Interland (now DFDS) trailers .
You were out on the boat Sunday and back in the yard on a Suturday morning . As Bigtruck said further up this thread if you did get on a boat mid week you were coming home for fuel , and to tip and reload and straight back out on the boat - no running home to your own bed . Mostly though you got a call coming up the road " ship that trailer out of Liverpool Heysham or Cairnryan and theres one waiting for you to go back down the road .You were "out " for the week and you worked (yes a lot of the stories are true but not all . Ive never seen the fabled hanging beef load with the plate steel in below ). When you got home you washed and fuelled the truck took it home and fell into a coma until Sunday morning and you went and did it all again . Rinse and repeat until you had an acident or “the ministry” (DOT , VOSA, DVSA) caught up with you ,or you caught yourself on and looked for something better .
I lasted 3 years before looking elsewhere and got a nice “handy” job round home pulling secondry haulage milk tankers . You started at 5 and finished when the work was all done - no such thing as 10hrs drive 15 hour spread , you did it and got on with it . when you had a chance you got your head down and got a few hours .It was easier to take a few hours in the truck rather than run home wasting an hour each way .
Again it didn’t last and for a few years I was out of driving as a main job but still did a load at the weekend to top up the miserable wages of a manual labouring job round home .
Through a part time job I ended up with the job I have now - and it is a good job -
good pay (but it could always be better )
good conditions
good work
and a decent truck .
I’m happy the wife is happy and so is the boss .
The boss knows my histroy and knows I dont mind pulling either tanks , fridges , curtains or flats. He knows I like a variety of work so he dosen’t keep me on the one job all the time cos I get bored easily - that said I do have a regular run every other weekend thats an absolute doddle and I like doing it .I also know that because I have a flexible attitude I will get the kind of work that will mean I will on occasion run up against my 10/9 hour drive 15 hour spread. I have "my own " truck in as much as I drive it through the week and a very few select drivers get it at the weekend when I’m not there - and they keep it as clean and tidy as I do ( which is more important to the boss ). Thats means I have the inverter , the microwave ,the fridge, the gas stove , kettle saucepans etc etc in the truck and a supply of teabags , coffee tins of soup etc etc . Its not luxury , I’d never say it was , its there for my benifit, it helps me when I have a short day and know whats happening the next day . If I’m up for a "monster "as someone else called it I can choose to use a few hours today to help me tomorrow and the night out helps balance that out .
I can and do say no as well . I try to keep my social life for when I’m off work but if something has to be done when I’m working I tell the office as soon as I know its happening so they can plan to get me home. 99%of the time it works out, sometimes it dosen’t - I don’t take the mickey , I don’t beleive the office does either . If I get that feeling I’ll tell them once after that if I think it happens again - I’m gone , truck will be brought back to the yard washed and cleaned out .
I feel sorry for the newcomers today . They think its all about them , they don’t seem to realise whats expected , we can’t get men that will do a couple of nights out in a row in Scotland , We can’t get drivers to pull tanks or to pull a flat trailer - they have no idea how to secure a load on a flat never mind rope and sheet and they don’t want to learn . And for me thats a problem - I never refused training (or as it was called back then - how to do your job ) even when you knew it was going to land you into something you may not have wanted to be at . I learned to rope and sheet by myself - the first few times it was nothing great but I watched others , I asked questions and asked to be shown how to do things . Thats the kind of thing that used to be talked about in "drivers waiting rooms " (the yard ) back then .
Do I like living in a truck ? not particularly but I try to make it as plesant as possible when I have to .
Do I enjoy what I do ? most definately or its really simple - I wouldn’t be there .
Compared to 20 years ago - I have it easy now but I put the hours in then and now , if your not prepared to be flexible , learn and adapt then your future in trucking / driving is limited.
Now if you have read and understood all that - call me whatever you like (I’ll let you into a secret before you do - I DON’T CARE lol )

I have first hand experience of Irish roping and sheeting, having spent many years working for Coastal, and the majority of you couldn’t tie your own shoelaces. Every single rope had to be cut off…even the sheet ties.

You don’t even know it, but you are part of the problem, not the solution. You are also a dying breed…literally in some cases, when you see how fat some are.

The industry needs to change. It needs a network of secure properly run truck-stops that match MSN standards, but are attractive cost wise, to lessen the need for parking in the street. These truck-stops should be fully equipped with private wash rooms and facilities, and some sort of gym area too. Pipe dream? Perhaps, but if you want the next generation to live in a truck, then there has to be more to life than an ind est with a Tesco, or a lay-by. There has to be less emphasis on the check-shirt wearing, arse-crack showing trucker and more on the professional driver.

Drivers also need some sort of representation. Is there a more down-trodden profession, for personnel who are so indispensable?

We also need a culture of professional respect for each other on the road, and from management. I think perhaps one may follow the other, so less of the crowing and hot-air, and more empathy and respect for the differing work situations other drivers have to deal with.

I have never understood that ‘keep it lit’ macho nonsense. Why risk your licence, or your life…or other peoples for a timed delivery of bulk goods? Blood for an emergency transfusion maybe, or perhaps essential water supplies, but 26t of cream? Only later in your life will you realise the toll the long 15hr days have taken on your body, and you will then realise you gave it away very cheaply.

Janos:
I have first hand experience of Irish roping and sheeting, having spent many years working for Coastal, and the majority of you couldn’t tie your own shoelaces. Every single rope had to be cut off…even the sheet ties.

You don’t even know it, but you are part of the problem, not the solution. You are also a dying breed…literally in some cases, when you see how fat some are.

The industry needs to change. It needs a network of secure properly run truck-stops that match MSN standards, but are attractive cost wise, to lessen the need for parking in the street. These truck-stops should be fully equipped with private wash rooms and facilities, and some sort of gym area too. Pipe dream? Perhaps, but if you want the next generation to live in a truck, then there has to be more to life than an ind est with a Tesco, or a lay-by. There has to be less emphasis on the check-shirt wearing, arse-crack showing trucker and more on the professional driver.

Drivers also need some sort of representation. Is there a more down-trodden profession, for personnel who are so indispensable?

We also need a culture of professional respect for each other on the road, and from management. I think perhaps one may follow the other, so less of the crowing and hot-air, and more empathy and respect for the differing work situations other drivers have to deal with.

I have never understood that ‘keep it lit’ macho nonsense.Why risk your licence, or your life…or other peoples for a timed delivery of bulk goods? Blood for an emergency transfusion maybe, or perhaps essential water supplies, but 26t of cream? Only later in your life will you realise the toll the long 15hr days have taken on your body, and you will then realise you gave it away very cheaply.

“the majority of you couldn’t tie your own shoelaces” at the start that would have been a fair enough comment - I did have a couple of howlers - but I learnt . I’d take exception to that today.

A “secure properly run truck-stops that match MSN standards” - I really hope you not taslking about the ■■■■ smelling filthy holes that you call services on the UK motorway network. I wouldn’t overnight in one of those filthy dirty holes if you paid me nevermind pay to be there . I have a variety of places where I can park up all of which I have access to showers and toilets .

“but you are part of the problem” - how come ? I turn up I do my work , I plan and organise my time . I don’t cry , demand to be rescued , refuse to do a night out . I’ve been at it 20 years - some here are changing the world and the ink still wet on their licences - all because they beleived the rubbish they were told by an agency or a driving school anxious to rip every last penny out of them .

“Drivers also need some sort of representation”- they already have it . Look in the nearest mirror - there you go your looking at them . Stand up for yourself - nobody else cares and nobody else will fight your battles for you . If you don’t like the job leave , when enough do that a "bad " operator won’t be able to do the work and somone else will get a go at it . Rinse and repeat till the cowboys are gone .

“professional respect for each other on the road, and from management. I think perhaps one may follow the other, so less of the crowing and hot-air, and more empathy and respect for the differing work situations other drivers have to deal with” I’m all for that and I’ll say it loud and clear - Do what you like but just because you don’t like what I do don’t tell me not to do it .

I have never understood that ‘keep it lit’ macho nonsense. Why risk your licence, or your life…or other peoples - I don’t either and I don’t

Olog Hai:

Kipping in your clothes on a matress in a cab? :laughing:
That’s in the same category as the other daymen’s old chestnuts like… ‘‘sleeping in a tin box/unpaid security guard/washing with wet wipes/never washing/kipping in lay bys/eating crap’’… and all the rest of the cliches to describe their bizzare distorted views of tramping. :unamused:

Ok there are the superstars anong us who do live just like that, and who aint happy unless they work a week and a half’s hours in a week, who are somewhere between masochists and endurance test experts :unamused: Thankfully I aint one of them,.and I tend to look upon them with a mixture of contempt and ridicule,.and I could not do the job that way for more than a week.

However mate as sure as eggs are eggs,.and whether it makes your Hampsteads itch or not, tramping IS a way of life, I should know as I’ve spent more than half of mine doing it.
However I DO value my home life,.and I can (and do) switch off at the drop of a hat…and quite happily do so.

I still think day people miss out on the adventure aspect of the job, tomorrow morning im off to N.Ireland on a 3 day run so im living in my tin box for 2 nights running but it means I get to travel more and it’s not even max hour days.

mrginge:
I still think day people miss out on the adventure aspect of the job, tomorrow morning im off to N.Ireland on a 3 day run so im living in my tin box for 2 nights running but it means I get to travel more and it’s not even max hour days.

^^^^ Agreed, but if I order a steak I don’t want the chef to serve me fish fingers

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

P Stoff:

mrginge:

^^^^ Agreed, but if I order a steak I don’t want the chef to serve me fish fingers

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Read that analogy 3x Mr Stoff…still gone right over my swede each time. :neutral_face:

I think he is referring to day people starting a job on ‘days’ to then find out it involves nights out which is not what they asked for.

mrginge:
I think he is referring to day people starting a job on ‘days’ to then find out it involves nights out which is not what they asked for.

Ah right cheers mate, it was his direct answer and quote to you, rather than to the o/p that threw me.
Btw…it doesn’t take much to throw me. :blush: :laughing:

To be honest I wouldn’t pay attention to what other people here are saying. So many different people with different priorities, mentality etc.

I would make my decision and stick to it. Which in this case, do what you did. No one else could tell me the opposite.

My limits are my limits. To hell with “business need” “driver are expected to do abc”

It is one of them, only you can tell where to drawn to the line.
I don’t have any problem in dealing with the consequences of my decisions.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Just spent a while reading through the whole thread and thought I put my 2 penn’orth.

Daywork:The planned day will start and finish at the home depot with sufficient time for the full legal daily rest requirements ie 13 shift time. Variations should be agreed before hand that is not only good manners but good man management.

Being prepared: If you use a different truck every day my regular day bag & lunch box are enough without a 2nd night out bag on the off chance it might be needed. I did however take a sleeping bag during the last cold snap. I ain’t going to starve in one night as I have built up some “onboard reserves” & if I’m going to be stopped in excess of 14 hours a toilet WILL be a priority at my stopping point.

The unexpected: well that I just roll with. It doesn’t happen often enough to stress about unduly, if at all.

Being recovered: if I’m out of drive time but have working time left then yes I will expect to be recovered. In the 1 instance that happened I had stock on that was due for delivery the following day and the office knew 2-3 hours before the location I would be aiming for and the likely time I’d be there. Not hard to do and puts the planning firmly back on the planners/managers desk.

Management by fear and bullying: never done by a real manager though, sometimes, by bullies in a management position.

I suppose it runs on the old adage that you treat people the way you want to be treated. I wonder in the OPs position how his (former) boss would react if his drivers started telling him that they will be taking leave at a days notice having known about it for a week? Not well I suspect.

Janos:

Why not just do the obvious thing, consolidate the haulage game, and have guys relay trailers between yards on day-shifts and go home to bed at the end, rather than having to provide national infrastructure to cope with so much of the haulage workforce spending the night on the road?

I like to think of it this way, when you start work in the morning, the more desk, wall, and locked doors there are between you and the office staff, the more adversarial relations are likely to be.

It is of course management at a fairly senior level who control those features of the built environment - they are there to encourage an adversarial relationship (and to some extent to protect those who have access to the office interior, from the possible consequences of the attitudes they are encouraged to adopt).

mrginge:

Adventure, this made me smile, there are times in your life that the mundane is good, others when new places and people suit better. Did a bit of googling to see if any of my first drives were online and found a couple of photos of my father, stirring up some long forgotten memories, smiling again, thanks.

I’ve had a varied driving career, from the mundane (learning the game), to the adventurous (learning my way around the UK) and back to the mundane again (as I see retirement in the not too distant horizon), as with others on here, I’ve been there, seen it, done it, got the T-shirt, worn it out, used it as a rag to clean the mirrors, had to get a new T-shirt. Not a great life, but not a bad life either, worked hard at times, done diddly-squat at others. There’s stuff I did 20-30 years ago that I wouldn’t dream of doing now, but there’s also stuff I did then that I can do better now, I just don’t choose to do it.

Life changes, circumstances change, what works for a 20 something isn’t necessarily going to work for a 50 something and vice-versa. It needs all sorts and some very different attitudes to get the work that needs doing done. I don’t look up or down to anyone that chooses to do the things I don’t want to do at this time in my life, you need me to do what I’m doing just as I need you to do whatever you’re doing. I’m not the highest paid and not the lowest paid, I can live within my means, unfortunately my wife cannot, the fan is going to get covered with brown sticky stuff in 5 years or so (maybe less), that might result in me doing work that I really don’t want to do, but if it does I’ll make it work for me, not kill me.