I need a job

robroy:

driveress:
all you have to do to impress is turn up on time, say hello and smile. I often get offered jobs, on that basis. I even got offered one by a client I was delivering to the other day. He has a large farm and runs a small fleet of artics delivering his veg to supermarkets. I would never have known it existed if I hadn’t delivered there.

Ok, not being funny or sexist or anything, but we both know you would have an advantage over me. :smiley:
We also both know a woman can achieve anything with a man by giving a smile and a certain look…if I gave the guy the same look I’d maybe get a smack in the teeth rather than the offer of a job… :smiley:

Not demeaning you either, I am sure you are a very good and efficient driver, as most women are I have noticed, in fact many are better,.and certainly safer than a lot of blokes, despite a lot of b/s opinion.
Not knocking it either, btw, use any asset available if it achieves a goal.
Just saying. :smiley:

I think it would be just as difficult for a female driver to find a job driving.

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
What about being a cage monkey?

Is that containers? I think the closest to me would be Southampton? Which is too far away.

JeffA:

robroy:

driveress:
all you have to do to impress is turn up on time, say hello and smile. I often get offered jobs, on that basis. I even got offered one by a client I was delivering to the other day. He has a large farm and runs a small fleet of artics delivering his veg to supermarkets. I would never have known it existed if I hadn’t delivered there.

Ok, not being funny or sexist or anything, but we both know you would have an advantage over me. :smiley:
We also both know a woman can achieve anything with a man by giving a smile and a certain look…if I gave the guy the same look I’d maybe get a smack in the teeth rather than the offer of a job… :smiley:

Not demeaning you either, I am sure you are a very good and efficient driver, as most women are I have noticed, in fact many are better,.and certainly safer than a lot of blokes, despite a lot of b/s opinion.
Not knocking it either, btw, use any asset available if it achieves a goal.
Just saying. :smiley:

I think it would be just as difficult for a female driver to find a job driving.

I don’t know mate.
Firstly I don’t think it’s '‘difficult’ to find a job driving at all, but deffo difficult to find one that is tailor made for the individual.
Where I live there are plenty jobs, but not plenty good jobs, and definitely a shortage of what I would call ‘good’ firms. The one I work for is more the best of a bad bunch rather than a good firm, 2 of which I have worked for in the past…neither in my home area btw.
I like the job I do, but not so much the firm, but that dies notvstol me giving them 101% in what I do…unless they ■■■■ me right off from time to time. :smiley:

As for women truck drivers, any I have seen personally yave been good drivers,.I think they will have more to prove than a bloke,.mostly down to outdated attitudes, but a good driver of any gender will always find work…there are definitely more bad, inept and ■■■■ useless drivers around than good professional ones imo.

Lots of blokes would be thinking “a woman trying to pull a 250 kilo cage into a shop?”. Women would lose out on a lot of driving jobs.

JeffA:
Lots of blokes would be thinking “a woman trying to pull a 250 kilo cage into a shop?”. Women would lose out on a lot of driving jobs.

Men and women have the…

Option of saying ‘I need help moving this or it goes back to the yard’.

stu675:

toonsy:
I’ve pretty much always found my way into places via personal recommendation, even the “blue chip” ones with their fancy recruitment portals and that.

Bonus is I’ve already got a mate in the inside so I sort if know what I’m heading into before I even apply, bonus for them is that they’re getting someone recommended to them and I’m not the type to let someone down and be an arse if they’ve put a good word in because I don’t want them to be viewed negatively.

Wow…if only I knew someone in such a position, you know, knew them, say, though an internet forum.

Wouldn’t recommend anyone I didn’t know personally, nor would I ask anyone I didn’t know personally to have a word for me.

toonsy:

stu675:
[Wow…if only I knew someone in such a position, you know, knew them, say, though an internet forum.

Wouldn’t recommend anyone I didn’t know personally, nor would I ask anyone I didn’t know personally to have a word for me.

But I’m surprised that I have never seen people here saying “there’s a job going at the place I work, you can apply for it by doing such and such”

yourhavingalarf:

JeffA:

Men and women have the…

Option of saying ‘I need help moving this or it goes back to the yard’.

But the point was about hiring - would you hire a 140lb woman to pull 600lb cages around to a deadline. Probably not.

stu675:

toonsy:

stu675:
[Wow…if only I knew someone in such a position, you know, knew them, say, though an internet forum.

But I’m surprised that I have never seen people here saying “there’s a job going at the place I work, you can apply for it by doing such and such”

If there is an public advert I would point to that. I would probably tell of a vacancy through a PM, but not on an open forum.
I certainly would not recommend many people, and definitely not a just www mate.

Not all women are delicate little things who can’t do their share of graft - look at the women’s rugby teams that get their fair share of publicity these days.

There’s no reason to focus on the more handball-style jobs either, one of my class 1 tipper drivers is a woman, she earns her keep every bit as much as the male drivers, and she’s far better than some of them when it comes to cracking on and getting the job done without complaining. She definitely would not be my first one out of the door if work was scarce.

stu675:

And that’s for very good reasons. If someone rocked up to a job saying “Stu told me there was a job going”, and they turned out to be “less than ideal”, that’s you being tarnished by association. Who wants that?

Zac_A:

stu675:
You can take the [zb] if you like. I would just like a job that I want, like working in the daytime like the majority of the population.

Hiab training is very useful here, builders merchants tend to be a 7 to 4 or 8 to 5 gig.
Of course you need the ticket and some experience

If it’s based in Surrey local building materials deliveries together with local multi drop are the main default job options here.The ‘experience’ issue generally doesn’t apply to such crap boring work.The desperate employers will provide all the Hiab training needed.
Night trunking looks and is the more attractive option.

Carryfast:

Zac_A:

stu675:
You can take the [zb] if you like. I would just like a job that I want, like working in the daytime like the majority of the population.

Hiab training is very useful here, builders merchants tend to be a 7 to 4 or 8 to 5 gig.

If it’s based in Surrey local building materials deliveries together with local multi drop are the main default job options here.The ‘experience’ issue generally doesn’t apply to such crap boring work.The desperate employers will provide all the Hiab training needed.

Each to their own, but driving in residential areas, and using a crane in limited space requires a lot more than cruising down a m-way between trailer swaps.
Distance and local work each have ups and downs.

JeffA:
Probably not.

I’m not…

In the business of hiring people but, I’m sure that you can’t (albeit right or wrong) discriminate against anyone. Apparently, if you’re only 5 foot 2 inches tall, you have every right to be considered for a basketball team as much as the guy next to you who happens to be 6 feet 6 inches tall.

It’s why the whole country is going to the dogs Jeff.

yourhavingalarf:

JeffA:
Probably not.

I’m not…

In the business of hiring people but, I’m sure that you can’t (albeit right or wrong) discriminate against anyone. Apparently, if you’re only 5 foot 2 inches tall, you have every right to be considered for a basketball team as much as the guy next to you who happens to be 6 feet 6 inches tall.

It’s why the whole country is going to the dogs Jeff.

If someone is required to do something, and they are physically incapable of it, then the employer should make “reasonable adjustments”.

If the 5 2" player can jump ten feet from a standstill, then discriminating against them on size is wrong! If they can only reach to 6 6" arms stretched then they are not suitable to get the rebounds.

If it was a librarian rather a basketball player vacancy then a ladder would be a reasonable adjustment. I doubt that is allowed in basketball.

If a driving job needs someone to shift a plt or cage then isn`t an electric plt truck rather than a manual one “reasonable”? It may mean fewer injuries to bigger drivers too.

Franglais:
If someone is required to do something, and they are physically incapable of it, then the employer should make “reasonable adjustments”.

What’s happened Frangles…

Is people who are completely unsuitable for certain jobs are given them on the basis of equality. The company then has to fork out and allow due consideration for someone who can’t actually do the job.

In a world that runs on little else but profit margins, there are no short basketball players.

I’m not saying that short people shouldn’t play basketball, I’m saying they’re not very good at it.

Who’s the one armed drummer? He rocks lol.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Zac_A:

stu675:

Each to their own, but driving in residential areas, and using a crane in limited space requires a lot more than cruising down a m-way between trailer swaps.
Distance and local work each have ups and downs.

Also if you are in Surrey avoid trunking to hubs…they expect you to handball apparently. :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:

What’s happened Frangles…

Is people who are completely unsuitable for certain jobs are given them on the basis of equality. The company then has to fork out and allow due consideration for someone who can’t actually do the job.

In a world that runs on little else but profit margins, there are no short basketball players.

I’m not saying that short people shouldn’t play basketball, I’m saying they’re not very good at it.

Who’s the one armed drummer? He rocks lol.

The law says “reasonable adjustments” should be made.
If someone is a little bit too weak to shove a big pallet then an electric truck might be reasonable.
If someone is “completely unsuitable” then a “reasonable adjustment” wont crack it. They wont get the job.

Franglais:
If someone is a little bit too weak to shove a big pallet then an electric truck might be reasonable.

I’m not…

Aware of any machines that move cages around the lorry.

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:

I’m not…

Aware of any machines that move cages around the lorry.

If moving cages inside the lorry is too much for someone, and if there is nothing “reasonable” to assist them, then they don`t get that job.

Making “reasonable adjustments” to a job is required, not changing the job totally.
A shorter person can, with a ladder, reach the top shelf in a library.

They won`t get the rebound. :smiley: