I’m curious......

I’ve been vociferous (gobby) about my opinions of bad autos. I haven’t yet driven a good one, but accept they could be out there. The arse-tronic on earlier DAFs was poor. As fitted to later DAFs (65 on) truly awful. Stalls, misses gears and rolls back, slips clutch excessively when manoeuvring, clunky changes.
If and when I get to drive a good 'un, I’ll try to keep an open mind, but so far manuals are best.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

TheUncaringCowboy:
580 Scania manual, wouldn’t be bothered if it was auto as any Scania auto I’ve driven, v8 or not, has been excellent.

I enjoy the manual but it gets tedious in traffic.

No point having a V8 unless you can give it unnecessary blips of the throttle between gear changes [emoji23]
I had a 164 500 a few years ago for a while which was manual.

Franglais:
I’ve been vociferous (gobby) about my opinions of bad autos. I haven’t yet driven a good one, but accept they could be out there. The arse-tronic on earlier DAFs was poor. As fitted to later DAFs (65 on) truly awful. Stalls, misses gears and rolls back, slips clutch excessively when manoeuvring, clunky changes.
If and when I get to drive a good 'un, I’ll try to keep an open mind, but so far manuals are best.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

+1
Although I did have a 12 plate Volvo for a short while and that was very good, not as good as a manual but almost. All the rest are carp.

Not one person has come on here saying they’ve had a new truck with a ‘proper’ gearbox yet. I surely can’t be the only one in the whole of trucknet land can I!?!?!?

Punchy Dan:

Muckaway:
I’d always choose an auto for tipper or curtainside work, but now I drive a hookloader I’m more inclined to choose a manual 'box. For some reason I think backing onto and hooking up the bin would be easier with a manual.

Auto must be easier because pto is in all the time ?

Dan,
I’m with Nathan on this one for the reason we get bins dropped inches away from scaffolding etc and you really need to inch up to the bin plus coupling trailer I found the auto’s a bit “all or nothing” had some demo’s with auto’s and the only one that came close was the I shift, Volvo rep never returned my calls so they didn’t get any further enquiries!
Due to order a couple of new chassis next year will have a look at what Daf are offering in the way of auto’s!

nomiS36:
Not one person has come on here saying they’ve had a new truck with a ‘proper’ gearbox yet. I surely can’t be the only one in the whole of trucknet land can I!?!?!?

Got 16 and 17 plates with manuals! Not saying auto’s are crap and don’t want to get into any dispute over it but I order what is best for the job, the lad on the 17 plate did ask for a manual as he had a 2 pedal oticruise Scania demo and said he wanted a manual as he did not like it!

pete smith:

Punchy Dan:

Muckaway:
I’d always choose an auto for tipper or curtainside work, but now I drive a hookloader I’m more inclined to choose a manual 'box. For some reason I think backing onto and hooking up the bin would be easier with a manual.

Auto must be easier because pto is in all the time ?

Dan,
I’m with Nathan on this one for the reason we get bins dropped inches away from scaffolding etc and you really need to inch up to the bin plus coupling trailer I found the auto’s a bit “all or nothing” had some demo’s with auto’s and the only one that came close was the I shift, Volvo rep never returned my calls so they didn’t get any further enquiries!
Due to order a couple of new chassis next year will have a look at what Daf are offering in the way of auto’s!

Surely that’s just about knowing your vehicle regardless of the gearbox? New/ different will always take time to get used to, but once you do, if you’re any good, then you should be able to be reasonably precise with your positioning?

Im looking at a Daf for my next truck and if i do go for one it will be a 16spd manual

pete smith:

nomiS36:

Got 16 and 17 plates with manuals! Not saying auto’s are crap and don’t want to get into any dispute over it but I order what is best for the job, the lad on the 17 plate did ask for a manual as he had a 2 pedal oticruise Scania demo and said he wanted a manual as he did not like it!

That’s good to hear! Are they scanias then? We asked for a price from them but they said they’d dropped manuals. We tried to get Volvo to give us a price too but they never even bothered getting back to us! Seems they’re only interested in big fleets!

nomiS36:

Mines a 67 plate scania with a manual gearbox. Drove autos for about 4 years before I came to this firm and I’d choose a manual gearbox every time

nomiS36:

pete smith:

nomiS36:

That’s good to hear! Are they scanias then? We asked for a price from them but they said they’d dropped manuals. We tried to get Volvo to give us a price too but they never even bothered getting back to us! Seems they’re only interested in big fleets!

No Daf’s mate.

I prefer manual although the last ten weeks I have been mainly working in and around London and on days like yesterday with the North circular closed and chaos ensuing I was very tired of my manual box. If a lot of city work I would have to vote auto.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

nomiS36:

TheUncaringCowboy:
580 Scania manual, wouldn’t be bothered if it was auto as any Scania auto I’ve driven, v8 or not, has been excellent.

No point having a V8 unless you can give it unnecessary blips of the throttle between gear changes [emoji23]

Due to the fact that loud pipes save lives, blips are not unnecessary.

Its no 164, even with the pipe open, hippie euro 6 pish.

TheUncaringCowboy:

nomiS36:

TheUncaringCowboy:

Due to the fact that loud pipes save lives, blips are not unnecessary.

Its no 164, even with the pipe open, hippie euro 6 pish.

Eminox stack with the turbo spooled up is where its at, jet whine, lift off the throttle for the whhooooshhh. Blows euro 6 into the weeds… :stuck_out_tongue:

nomiS36:

There have been as many Scania 164 500 manufactured, as there have been Euro 6 Volvo FH16-700 :wink:

milodon:

nomiS36:

There have been as many Scania 164 500 manufactured, as there have been Euro 6 Volvo FH16-700 :wink:

Oh! Was it a 144 then? It was a lease truck from scania without badges so I assumed it was a 16 litre. Was definitely a 4 series and V8 with the 3 over 3 splitter box or could it have been a 164 but 520?

It was either :
144 - 460
144 - 530
164 - 480
or a 164 - 580

Gearboxes always split the room

My favourite auto is an iShift which I was never let down by.

Eaton T/S 4x3 the best manual constant mesh gearbox.

ZF Syncro 16 with MAN C/shift

milodon:
It was either :
144 - 460
144 - 530
164 - 480
or a 164 - 580

Can’t remember lol. No pictures for some reason so maybe I dreamt it…[emoji57]

nomiS36:
Oh! Was it a 144 then? It was a lease truck from scania without badges so I assumed it was a 16 litre. Was definitely a 4 series and V8 with the 3 over 3 splitter box or could it have been a 164 but 520?

It could well have been, Scania will build off spec to order if buying new just like Volvo do.
My euro 6 FH16 is exactly the same as the 750 version but has a down rate of 50hp through the ecu as the higher powered version has its torque restricted in the lower six gears as the i shift as it is now is at its maximum torque rating. This was offered as a saving of 9K euro and couldnt justify that for very little extra torque and some chrome grill trim. It pulls 44t in top gear on the gradients on the limiter anyway.
Ive never owned a Scania let alone bought one new but knowing the fierce competion between these two makes will very likely build off spec to order just like the competition.
Some believe though that the manufacturers spec sheet is black and white which it isnt so its very possible you did indeed have a 164 but with a lower rating… :wink: