Hung up my gloves

Best of luck for the future Nick. Been there myself when my biggest customer went bang. carried on for 5 more years but I was always finding it hard to clear the bills. In the end I called it a day, I have been far better off since then.

Even now I still fancy giving it another go, Luckily I have managed to stop myself.I do think haulage gets in your sole, it must be like giving up drugs, its always in the back of your mind and before you know what’s happening you set up another company for more heartache and a lot of stress :laughing:

I do hope things sort their self out and you can bounce back.

nsmith1180 …sorry to hear about your situation.Now I am no business man ,and you have mentioned errors ,but name a company that doesn’t make mistakes …But is the scum that stopped paying still in business ■■? I watch that Can’t pay we’ll take it away ,and it winds me up what people can get away with and how much it can cost for someone to recover their costs to then find out they wont get a penny …I have known owner drivers who have lost thousands when places closed ,they then became a phoenix company ,the owner drivers went back to them ,only for them to get screwed gain …Again I am sorry to hear of your company demise ,and people think bosses /owners have a easy life ,at least you paid your employees many wouldn’t

norb:
nsmith1180 …sorry to hear about your situation.Now I am no business man ,and you have mentioned errors ,but name a company that doesn’t make mistakes …But is the scum that stopped paying still in business ■■?

No, the one bit of good news is I took the ■■■■■■■ with me.

Really sorry to hear of your experience Nick – I always enjoyed reading your write-ups.

Have you left driving all together?

You mention Post Kogeko – From your experience, would subbing for one of these outfits (single unit O/D) be considered a sensible move?

Well that was brief,
It’s only a few months since a new v8 Scania was the choice on the strength of your calculations / guess work regarding how long it could stay in top gear!

Wonder how much was wasted corporate branding and livery on someone else’s vehicles?
Absolutely pointless!

Moose:
Well that was brief,
It’s only a few months since a new v8 Scania was the choice on the strength of your calculations / guess work regarding how long it could stay in top gear!

Wonder how much was wasted corporate branding and livery on someone else’s vehicles?
Absolutely pointless!

Yes a couple of companies gone bust then a £20,000 one but in March ording a new Scania ? Obviously op not paying for the Scania ,just another company surviving on finance ,sorry to sound offensive but it’s fur coat and no knickers .

HYG:
Really sorry to hear of your experience Nick – I always enjoyed reading your write-ups.

Have you left driving all together?

You mention Post Kogeko – From your experience, would subbing for one of these outfits (single unit O/D) be considered a sensible move?

Yes, especially a foreign operator as there are VAT benefits. They kept 1.3 units busy and paid well and on time.

Punchy Dan:

Moose:
Well that was brief,

Absolutely pointless!

Yes a couple of companies gone bust then a £20,000 one but in March ording a new Scania ? Obviously op not paying for the Scania ,just another company surviving on finance ,sorry to sound offensive but it’s fur coat and no knickers .

Yes, its important in business, even when you are struggling you plan for the future. We needed to order a replacement truck for the Renault as it was going back at 3 years, the lead times are almost a year from the factory, so we placed an order. Two things to note here:

1: Because of Brexit, while we had confirmed the order with Scania GB, the factory hadn’t assigned a build slot. That means that its easily cancelled.

2: The unit was speced to appeal, so had the truck begun build, SGB would have been easily able to place the truck with another operator.

Well, that lasted long.

I’m picking my gloves back up!

Haulage should be illegal, its highly addictive, takes over your life and leaves your family barley knowing who you are!

nsmith1180:
Well, that lasted long.

Haulage should be illegal, its highly addictive, takes over your life and leaves your family barley knowing who you are!

Smithy,

You need to go see the Doc for stronger tablets lad!!! :neutral_face: :grimacing:

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:
Well, that lasted long.

Smithy,

You need to go see the Doc for stronger tablets lad!!! :neutral_face: :grimacing:

Aye, I doos.

nsmith1180:
Well, that lasted long.

Good luck with the “new” venture - looking forward to reading your posts once more!

HYG:

nsmith1180:
Well, that lasted long.

Good luck with the “new” venture - looking forward to reading your posts once more!

Ohh, not going on my own. Working for someone. Need a few years at least before I’m in a financial position to risk it all again!

Nick, thanks for the honesty and superb detail in all of your posts…has been a great read mate. I doubt you’re done yet.

For what it’s worth I think 4 on 4 off shifts with new leased vehicles is a great business model. Although it’s not for every driver, operator or sector, it definitely can work…not a debate.

Scannyfanny