Humboldt

flat to the mat:
We used to be able to drive 13hrs , have 4 in the sleeper then drive another 13hrs legally and it wasn’t an issue . Driving time wasn’t a factor in this accident , cowboy company , poorly trained driver if legal at all , running bent (fully loaded B train on a banned road) etc etc all contributed to the cause .

I know the driving is different across pond but surely 13hrs driving 4off another 13hrs driving is tight going!!!

Recently after good sleep 8hrs in bunk brought frigo load from Portsmouth to Cairnryan,
Left 2300 so min traffic/good roads/weather.
I can tell you I was tired by time I pulled up on grid@ port plus had two 45s on way North!!!

Big Truck:

flat to the mat:
We used to be able to drive 13hrs , have 4 in the sleeper then drive another 13hrs legally and it wasn’t an issue . Driving time wasn’t a factor in this accident , cowboy company , poorly trained driver if legal at all , running bent (fully loaded B train on a banned road) etc etc all contributed to the cause .

I know the driving is different across pond but surely 13hrs driving 4off another 13hrs driving is tight going!!!

Recently after good sleep 8hrs in bunk brought frigo load from Portsmouth to Cairnryan,
I can tell you I was tired by time I pulled up on grid@ port plus had two 45s on way North!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
it wouldnt be the drive that was the prob,it would more likely be starting at 2300 after going to your kip at 1500.,or dontcha think?

dieseldog999:

Big Truck:

flat to the mat:

“8hrs in bunk”
Preseeded by 2hrs in The Range dandering around then having a nice pizza in the cafe!!! :grimacing:

Jaskirat Sidhu, the driver of a transport truck involved in a deadly crash with the Humboldt Broncos’ team bus last April, has pleaded guilty to all 29 counts of dangerous driving.

Sidhu appeared in a court in Melfort, Sask., on Tuesday morning.

On April 6, 2018, the Humboldt Broncos’ team bus and a transport truck collided on a Saskatchewan highway killing 16 people and injuring 13 others.

Sidhu was not injured in the crash and was released on bail with conditions last July.

He pleaded guilty to all of the charges against him and his lawyer, Mark Brayford, told reporters that his client wanted to plead guilty to avoid further delay.

“His position to me was, I just want to plead guilty, I don’t want you to plea bargain, I don’t want a trial. Mr Sidhu advised me, I don’t want to make things any worse. I can’t make things any better but I certainly don’t want to make them any worse by having a trial,” said Brayford from outside of court.

Brayford said Sidhu wanted the families of the victims to know that he is ‘devastated’ by the grief he has caused them and is humbled by the support he has received from the community.

“He’s overwhelmed by the expressions of sympathy and kindness that some of the families and players have expressed to him in spite of the fact that their grief is entirely his fault and he’s very sorry about that,” said Brayford.

The Humboldt Broncos released a statement following the guilty pleas thanking Sidhu for ‘taking responsibility’ and for eliminating the need for a trial.

Driver in front of the court this morning , the Crown is asking for Min 10yrs .Also its just said on the news because he is a landed Citizen after his term in Jail he will be deported

Boatchaser:
Driver in front of the court this morning , the Crown is asking for Min 10yrs .Also its just said on the news because he is a landed Citizen after his term in Jail he will be deported[/quote
Yeap and that’s what happens without citizenship , rightly so . Almost feeling a pang of sympathy for the guy , first week out on his own working for a cowboy and indian outfit gets screwed over by the company driving a B-train with bugger all experience . However , I dodge similar drivers on a daily basis so time maybe for the ■■■■ to hit the fan before it happens again .

A Calgary truck driver who was involved in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others has been handed an eight year jail sentence.

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was charged with 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death and 13 counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

He pleaded guilty to all 29 counts of dangerous driving in January.

According to an agreed statement of facts, Sidhu was going between 86 and 96 km/h when he drove through a stop sign and into the intersection north of Tisdale.

It was determined that Sidhu’s actions caused the collision and that alcohol, drugs and distracted driving were not factors in the crash.

Sidhu, 30, faces a maximum sentence of 14 years for each charge of dangerous driving causing death and 10 years for dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

Families of the victims were in court for the proceedings and many of them were wearing Broncos team jerseys.

Justice Inez Cardinal read the agreed statement of facts in court and told the families that their voices have been heard.

The judge said that Sidhu accepted guilt and that removes the maximum penalty.

She said that finding a just sentence is a highly individualized process and that ‘the impact of this tragedy will be felt by Canadians for years to come.’

Justice Cardinal said the crash was avoidable and that Sidhu’s ‘prolonged inattention led to 16 deaths and 13 injuries.’

“Mr. Sidhu had ample time to react as he approached the intersection, had he been paying attention,” she said.

The judge said she needed to send a strong message of deterrence and that a significant sentence was warranted.

Sidhu was sentenced to eight years in prison and he is prohibited from operating a motor vehicle for ten years.

The Humboldt Broncos hockey team issued a statement soon after the sentence saying…

“Having this legal matter settled and the sentencing complete is a big step in the healing process for the survivors, grieving families, our organization and the community of Humboldt and surrounding area,” said president Jamie Brockman.

“The sentence is subject to varying opinions but what is important is that Mr. Sidhu pleaded guilty, has shown remorse and has remained accountable for his careless actions.”

Driver got 8yrs, probably out in 4yrs, I think it’s disgusting.
I know he didn’t plan to do it but 8yrs FFS, 6mth for each life.

5 8 12 14 , it’s numbers , doesn’t matter to the families really , they’ll suffer everyday . Maybe the new laws will prevent this happening again , maybe not , but seeing the antics of some “new canadian” drivers on a daily basis it’s worrying beyond belief sometimes . Some driving schools , especially in Alberta , should have their graduates re examined IMHO , I’m sure the sub standard training and abilities of the “drivers” would send shock waves through the industry , it does for me .

8yrs and he’s on a plane back to India the day he gets out. A sentence longer than 6months as a permanent resident means deportation.

Will the new regs make a difference? Doubtful, driving schools teach you to pass the test, the lorry driver part you learn when you hit the road.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

newmercman:
8yrs and he’s on a plane back to India the day he gets out. A sentence longer than 6months as a permanent resident means deportation.

Will the new regs make a difference? Doubtful, driving schools teach you to pass the test, the lorry driver part you learn when you hit the road.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

And then back on another plane the next day to,Canada with a slightly different spelt name, since residents of of some parts of India e.g Mumbai etc don’t possess any verifiable I’d documents…that was according to a conversation I had with a 4tracks driver, when I asked what it was like driving trucks in India and he admitted he had no idea…and then laughed when I said of the hoops I had to jump through e.g all my past employers driving references etc…he had never driven a truck officially, and then hopped into a turnpike double and merrily headed out to create some potentially new carnage for the day…

I agree in part to the training but the biggest thing was not allowing training schools to issue class 1 licences directly without the need of government driving test… I know driving tests are not perfect but jeez the former is beyond a joke.

I’m picking up some kind of farming device tomorrow in Minnesota bound for Humbolt, haven’t been through there since before the tragic events, I imagine there are many tributes up there, I’ll snap a few shots for this thread if it feels right when I’m there at the end of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There’s nothing to see mate ,hockey sticks outside front doors is about all . It’ll be a year next Saturday .

Edit , just seen on the local news ,the totally bent owner of the trucking company gets a $5k fine and Saskatchewan have delayed implementing the new laws to allow more trainees to take their tests . Lost for words :unamused:

flat to the mat:
There’s nothing to see mate ,hockey sticks outside front doors is about all . It’ll be a year next Saturday .

Edit , just seen on the local news ,the totally bent owner of the trucking company gets a $5k fine and Saskatchewan have delayed implementing the new laws to allow more trainees to take their tests . Lost for words :unamused:

Hello mate, long time no speak, hope you`re well.

What are your thoughts on the new regs ? I see 18 Wheels have set a price of $10k to sit your Class 1. Personally, my opinion is that the driver shortage myth is shortly going to become a harsh reality. Im unfortunately still working for the Co-Op and the lease ops here are all looking for drivers already but mainly due to the ridiculous hoops Co-Op make you jump through to get the job. There are maybe 25 jobs advertised currently here but you only have to look at the job boards to see how many vacancies are around right now, most of them are not good but theres already a good amount of drivers needed now and Ii don`t see the incentive to blow 10k to sleep in a tin box and drive on an ice rink :laughing: :laughing:

Hey Russ , I’m all for the new regs because something had to change , the driving standards are dreadful especially from the increasing number of Taliban , obtaining a class 1 was a farce here previously as we both know .
We’re struggling to find drivers already , offer a great package , but don’t get any decent applicants . Been advertising on Indeed for months now , 3 people were interviewed and all unsuitable .We took on one bloke last summer but he crashed a company pickup so was let go . Would appear nobody wants the trucking jobs anymore , tbh with all the electronic monitoring systems and recording devices I can see why not .
Decent driver shortage = kerching for the likes of us :wink:

flat to the mat:
Hey Russ , I’m all for the new regs because something had to change , the driving standards are dreadful especially from the increasing number of Taliban , obtaining a class 1 was a farce here previously as we both know .
We’re struggling to find drivers already , offer a great package , but don’t get any decent applicants . Been advertising on Indeed for months now , 3 people were interviewed and all unsuitable .We took on one bloke last summer but he crashed a company pickup so was let go . Would appear nobody wants the trucking jobs anymore , tbh with all the electronic monitoring systems and recording devices I can see why not .

Totally agree, I’ve got an application in at your place online not heard a thing back so they need to pull their fingers out ha ha

■■■■ I’m tired ha ha

PM sent Russ , best of luck .

flat to the mat:
PM sent Russ , best of luck .

Thanks man, responded

■■■■ I’m tired ha ha

flat to the mat:

Hopefully “kerching” will happen too. . . Just had our pay overhauled at our place to finally be paid hourly instead of by the KM. Will be interesting to see what the industry will hold in a few years time when the old boys start to call it a day and young guns struggle to find $10k to fund their class 1 as well as the air brakes course and the 113 hours needed to complete it all. I consider myself lucky as I managed to do my class 1 before all of this came in and only cost me about $1500 instead of up to $11k with everything else involved. hopefully the state of some of the driving by our east Indian cousins will improve too but time will ultimately tell how and if this new regulation will work in the long run

A lawyer representing the truck driver responsible for the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash says his client wants to stay in Canada once released from prison.

trib.al/EnnNtUW