How realistic is it to get a job being a new driver

ROG:

Philg74:
I’m 47 so a career change after 13 years in the NHS driving ambulances

Blue light advanced driver :question:
If yes then you are going to find the training much easier than most

That’s good to know as I’m also ex-Ambulance Service and a qualified blue light advanced driver.

Idris:

Omega:
I’m a new pass, no experience, 55 year old and have just landed a great job!
Class 2 RDC to RDC with an up to date fleet and good rates of pay

I was noticed by a recruitment company (not an agency) and I’ve got a permanent job as an employee with a big Logistics firm.

Thing is, if I hadn’t been more visible by applying for more jobs then the recruitment company would never have seen me.

How were you applying? Direct to companies or through something like Indeed? I’m just wondering how the recruiters saw you.

What sort of hours are you doing, and do you mind saying what the rates are?

I was doing both by email and in a few cases by letter with a CV.
It was a Recruitment Company that came back to me with the job I eventually took, however I also got a number of Agency’s replying with the offer of a start at different companies who on the face of it seemed decent.

One thing to be ready for if it’s an Agency or maybe it applies to all of them, is you need to clear ‘Compliance’. That means have your CURRENT Passport or Birth Certificate ready, proof of your NI Number and Address, CPC, Digi Card and of course your Driving Licence etc…

As for hours rates,
I was told it would be days Mon to Fri only and that’s correct although it’s a 4.30am start so more like the middle of the night lol (take some getting used to)
Anything from 8 to 12 hours a day but as the shortage continues its expected to be nearer to 12 hours a day
The rate is a flat £17 an hour

Yes I was…nice to know I shouldn’t struggle to much at least…

Philg74:

Yes I was…nice to know I shouldn’t struggle to much at least…

To drive a LGV you need good observation and planning
LGV driving and non police advanced driving are very close in that respect