How OLD is TOO OLD for your first truck?

bigr250:
A quick word of caution regarding Daf XF’s (I used to run one) AIR VALVES!! listen for air leaks, some of the valves are horendously expensive and there are lots of them!!

I spoke to the previous owner (O/D) who told me most of these valves have been replaced, although not all…

I would have thought at 750,000 km that they’ve had the best out of this truck already. something else to check is wether its been run with a PTO, this will add many hundreds of hours running time to the engine.
we tend to replace our fleet at around this mileage, the vehicles are almost worthless on the second hand market and normally end up being sent for export to africa. however there’s a lot to be said for buying an ex-supermarket trolley, it will have always been serviced on the button with major components replaced etc although the interior is going to be tired

Just one thing to remember, the euro rating of the engine. This truck would have a euro 2 engine. No good for going into London. Just something to consider.

what you need is one of these
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38192

I would walk away from this now. keep walking and visit an auction and keep your hands in your pocket. You will be able to watch what the true value of older trucks really are at the moment.

If you really want to buy a truck, there are some good deals although modern clean 2 or 3 year old trucks are still making premium prices.

Buyers market anyone?