How long is this trailer?

Yes very true Dennis, my old Dad when he did local work in Newcastle spent a lot of time loading out of Associated Lead and he always used a 30ft Boden tandem, in fact he used to hide it out of the way of the other drivers in case they nicked it as it was the only one. Reason was he could fit on the weighbridge without dropping the trailer as even the 33footers meant the whole outfit wouldn’t fit never mind a 40ft and it caused many a driver to curse. Of course it was loaded with 20Ton of ingots every time but being a short run down to the warehouse on the quayside for storage and little chance of being pulled the job was a good’un. Only ever had one problem when I went with him on a Sunday, his motor was in for service so he had to take another but no one had mentioned it had a faulty 5th wheel. We found out on the way out of the Lead works, up the quite steep bank then onto the famous Scotswood Road just about to change into a higher gear and the unit shot forward leaving the trailer behind, bit of a clatter and a rattle as the airlines hit the back of the cab but very few ingots got onto the road although the stacks had slid forward somewhat. In due time Plod turned up, just one bored Copper but Dad had phoned down to the yard where the Forklift lads were waiting to tip and up they came we sorted a few of the stacks and both trucks lifted the trailer front so a different unit could couple up and move the load away. When all was sorted Dad asked the Copper if he would be pinched, Well he said none of the load was on the road, you were in the middle lane so didn’t stop any traffic and nobody was hurt unless you want me to do you for trying to kill yourselves, so no get yourself away. Phew! don’t think that would happen today eh. Franky.

The next question is…what kind of rear doors would it have had??

Hi wolfie quite possibly a drop -down tail gate with a roller shutter iirc cheers Ray

Lonewolf Yorks:
The next question is…what kind of rear doors would it have had??

Hi Wolfie, I seem to remember them having a drop down tailboard with barn doors above. If you watch the first couple of mins. of this film, there are two examples of this arrangement

If you haven’t seen it, the rest of the film is worth watching.

Regards John.

P.S. On your photo, you can see the catches for holding the barn doors open.

old 67:
Hi Wolfie, I seem to remember them having a drop down tailboard with barn doors above. If you watch the first couple of mins. of this film, there are two examples of this arrangement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFOjy_j6UM

If you haven’t seen it, the rest of the film is worth watching.

Thats a very handy film, cheers. Also a Scammell coupling actually working.