How long do your walk arounds/daily checks take?

I go by 15 mins (unit and trailer) or if am running out with just the unit 8 minutes… never been pulled up on it

Did my first agency job today and they were well late in getting me in and in a rush to get me out but I put my card in and did my checks with it on ‘other work’… it’s my licence. Also, a thing I remember from cpc training is (Correct me if I’m wrong on this chaps) if you get into a wagon and the tacho is showing ‘no card!’, it means someone’s been shunting the wagon about the yard with no tach card in… press OK BEFORE you put your card in or it registers an infringment on your card.

Theweescot:

123smith:

Theweescot:
Do you have to move the truck to get the tacho to register and start counting or can you just put the card in and crack on?

Tacho turns on when the ignition is switched on, shouldn’t really move the truck without the card in. You can do the checks first then do a manual entry for the time spent doing them, or put your card in first set it to other work then do your checks - either way is okay.

Thanks for that. Just about to start class 2 agency after passing my test in May. With not being a permanent employee I’ve no one to ask these things like I would if i had an induction day or anything with permanent. I’ve been told to put the taco over to OW if for example i’m sitting waiting to get into a depot or something because it’s not driving and it’s not a break. I don’t know if that’s true or not though.

No that would be poa mate if your just sitting there waiting to get unloaded etc just make sure u put it on ow if you get out to open your curtains/unload etc… but then again if the company your working for doesn’t insist on using poa then probably best to just leave it on ow

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
It is actually 17 minutes. MMTM

It takes 5 minutes to chuck your gear in the cab, a couple of minutes to start the engine, 5 minutes to walk to the canteen and grab a coffee, have a crap and 5 minutes asking your mate where he is parking up tonight.

Love this! Although I should probably immediately erase it from my memory, being new and all. But still. :smiley:

I take a min 45 before getting anywhere near the gate . Get keys and any paperwork, get to and stow any kit, tacho in manual ents, fill out check sheet and time sheet, walk round unit check and check for damage, pick up trl do tell checks including any damage and marks, back to office get check sheet copied then out the gate . That’s what the company wants us to do so it take how long it takes

Is there a “minimum” time VOSA want to see as OtherWork before you move the truck?

Cheers, Nez

Nezza:
Is there a “minimum” time VOSA want to see as OtherWork before you move the truck?

Cheers, Nez

No. They like to see some time but as it would vary with different vehicles and different circumstances there is no minimum.
Take over a unit and trailer you haven’t used before or haven’t used for a few days and it will probably take more of a check than a unit and trailer you parked up 9 hours earlier and had a night out in after driving it all the previous day.

I’m sure you will get a lot of posts along the lines of - “We’ve been told you must show 15 minutes or VOSA will nick you,” but that isn’t the case. It might be company policy in some cases however to show a certain amount of time.