How long did you wait before going for class 1

I personally see trucks driven by an army of terminators putting bad drivers out of their misery. Or like the simpsons where homer was sunbathing on the bonnet of his semi.

jbaz73:

kcrussell25:

jbaz73:
Driverless trucks are a very real threat in the near future. I think that trunking jobs will be the first casualty with other types of work following soon. If you are going to do class 1, then now would be the time to do it

Do you actually believe that or have I missed the sarcasm?

They won’t work in towns and cities as they will be bullied by cars/vans.

The space needed to let them “platoon” on motorways isn’t practical in this country either.

Maybe in USA/Australia trunking across country they are viable but it will be a lot of years before that happens

Lol, sarcasm didn’t come off the way I meant it to. In all seriousness I would say do it sooner rather than later

Lol sorry I wasn’t sure :blush: I agree about doing it soon. If for no other reason than it starts the “held for 2 years” that some places want.

Yes mate, I have been up against the “license held for 2 years “ problem myself. After I had held it for 2 years, I could get work no problem, even though I hadn’t drove an artic since passing my test and was seriously rusty.

Funny old world ain’t it?

jbaz73:
Yes mate, I have been up against the “license held for 2 years “ problem myself. After I had held it for 2 years, I could get work no problem, even though I hadn’t drove an artic since passing my test and was seriously rusty.

Funny old world ain’t it?

Its about ticking a box on insurance paperwork. I was lucky and got an immediate start on my class 1 though think that’s area dependant. I am actually starting a class 2 multi drop job next week. Will be harder work but only 4 days and 5am starts compared to the midnight-2am I do now. Not much of a pay cut either given I am dropping a day a week. If I can do this until next May that will be 2 years for me and will look around again.

I start a new job next week too, doing w&d roro skips. So it’s a new start for us both. I was on nights shunting before. New job is more money and days. I’m lucky, I passed in 2015, so I have the requisite 2 years. Much respect to you doing c2 multi drop, it’s hard work

jbaz73:
I start a new job next week too, doing w&d roro skips. So it’s a new start for us both. I was on nights shunting before. New job is more money and days. I’m lucky, I passed in 2015, so I have the requisite 2 years. Much respect to you doing c2 multi drop, it’s hard work

Good luck with the new job :smiley:

This is about lifestyle as I brought a campervan to do up last year and have hardly touched it. If its going to get used I need to make the time.

Also a few brownie points for being able to see the girlfriend a but more often :laughing:

LOL nice one. You too, good luck with the new job.

I’ve just been reading about the “driverless” trucks (that still need a driver)? And I think the “motorway autopilot” system could work to our advantage, especially with night closures, but it’s only going to work on night shift. It won’t be in my lifetime that we see trucks driven by an army of cyborgs. Mores the pity! Lol. Guess I’ll have to keep on driving

jbaz73:
LOL nice one. You too, good luck with the new job.

I’ve just been reading about the “driverless” trucks (that still need a driver)? And I think the “motorway autopilot” system could work to our advantage, especially with night closures, but it’s only going to work on night shift. It won’t be in my lifetime that we see trucks driven by an army of cyborgs. Mores the pity! Lol. Guess I’ll have to keep on driving

Would you trust a computer to sit you 1-2 feet off the back of the truck in front? I sure don’t.

I’m 35 and am happy that there’s going to be a driving job for as long as I want one. I won’t say they will be good ones (think I have fallen on my feet with this new one being an own account job) but that’s more prospects than a lot of other industries have got these days

ROG:
I find it curious that after the HGV classes changed to LGV in 1991 that we are still using the out of date terminology 27 years later :exclamation:

It’s an age thing Rog. I still call a radio a wireless :smiley:

Radio is old hat now, Wireless is the word of the future, [emoji14]

I did it roughly a year after my class deux licence and that worked for me. Handy to at any stage however even if you only drive class zwei.

(Hopefully Rog isnt multilingual :smiley: )

trevHCS:
I did it roughly a year after my class deux licence and that worked for me. Handy to at any stage however even if you only drive class zwei.

(Hopefully Rog isnt multilingual :smiley: )

I saw that :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Am I odd in not wanting to get to class one?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have class 2 been driving 4 years now maybe. I’m thinking taking class 1 but would it be easy get a job. Or would it be a case of no thanks no experience on class 1 or would driving class 2 count. As don’t want go down the agency route again to gain experience

Personally I would look to get class 1 so you always have the option if the right job comes up. You can still drive class 2. It will also starts the held for 2 years timer :sunglasses:

I found it easy enough to get a start though that could be area specific. If you have a Stobarts, Turners, Downtons etc they will give you a start. They take a lot of stick but they will give you a regular income while you gain the experience and look to build on

This ^^^^^^

When I passed class two, bill said to me that if I wanted to do class one it would cost me 300, I didn’t bother at the time and it ended up costing me twice that.

I was a week after my class 2 and you pick it up better as you dont have the bad habits.

jbaz73:
When I passed class two, bill said to me that if I wanted to do class one it would cost me 300, I didn’t bother at the time and it ended up costing me twice that.

Glad I did mine all in one go for a 65 quid test fee, and that hurt at the time :frowning:

I passed class 2 in December and class 1 in January. Only because I want to drive class 1 not 2. Partly cause of the money and partly cause ive always been interested in driving an artics. Slightly more difficult to get a job as a newbie class one but ive got a couple of potentials pending assessment drives. I just love the driving and cant wait to get my first driving job. Its down to personal preference I think and how confident you are.