Hoveringham gravels

nigelhunt:
Just found a couple of photos of the old merc tractor unit.I believe to be the only one purchased by hoveringham.It was driven by a chap called
tony clark and he was delighted when he got rid.1

I bet he was :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

An old Ford & Slater advert for Leyland, Albion and Scammell

Shire Oak Quarry was purchased by Hoveringham in 1963, previously owned by W.Northey of Erdington, who had owned it since 1932. Processing Sand & Gravel into the Birmingham and West Midlands Area since the 1920’s, of course later owned by Tarmac, processing ceased in the late 1990’s as reserves were exhausted.

Above picture of the Gravel Stocking Bin, part of the Linatex Concrete Sand Plant installed in 1974. The old entrance was closed off, when the site became a Landfill Site. This is how the old entrance looks today…Anyone with any more pictures ?

An official Hoveringham Publicity picture, no guessing where photo is taken ! Launch of the new corporate livery…

These photos are all courtesy of T. Toyne, he lent me the originals.
I have now reached my attachment limit, so more to follow!

Rest as promised! :slight_smile:

Heres a picture of ex-Hoveringham Foden HTV 76N as shown above in Hoveringham colours

Dont know if we have had this one posted before.Found on ebay.
Hoveringham Foden.jpg

Stanfield:
Dont know if we have had this one posted before.Found on ebay.0

Hiya …just a word…you see the little sun roof above the drivers window!!! that was a mirror to see in the body
how full and where the load was placed when loading under bins.maybe info for some people who have,nt drove
tippers.
John

Its a shame they only had an offside window wiper,hardly any heating and very small mirrors.And they called them
good old days.In the winter my dad used to put a sack bag in the front of radiator grill to try to retain some heat
in the cab.If only he could see the lorries that i drive.Heated mirrors,night heaters,etc etc.We take it for granted,and
if the radio plays up call the vehicle a shed.And we call ourselves drivers.

One of dads old lorries.
FN 91 P18 P19.jpg

how do you know when a tipper driver has visited your house? all the mirrors are broken and the back doors wide open.

cabhappy:
how do you know when a tipper driver has visited your house? all the mirrors are broken and the back doors wide open.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,yeh and the bedsheets are rolled upto the headboard,he’s tipped his load and gone forth :laughing: :laughing:

curnock:

cabhappy:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,yeh and the bedsheets are rolled upto the headboard,he’s tipped his load and gone forth :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks,for turning a sensible and interesting thread into a joke.As with so many threads on this site we always
manage to turn it into a joke,or finish up on the continent.You don’t have to travel abroad to be a driver.So if you
ha vent got anything of interest on this subject please keep your comments to yourself.

nigelhunt:
Thanks,for turning a sensible and interesting thread into a joke.As with so many threads on this site we always
manage to turn it into a joke,or finish up on the continent.You don’t have to travel abroad to be a driver.So if you
ha vent got anything of interest on this subject please keep your comments to yourself.

ok !!! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Back to the serious stuff; I visited my late Dad’s old boss, Bernard Driscoll, a few months ago. Whilst reminiscing about Hoveringham, he mentioned that he had a few mementos, one of which he very kindly gave to me.

I’m sure that Nigel will be familiar with these, and will hopefully have one; they were given as corporate gifts in the 1960’s. Lesney “Matchbox” model of course, but interestingly the ashtray itself is marked underneath, “Made in England, Lesney” so I would guess that they did these for various other companies.

I vaguely remember the old man having one, but presumably it ended up in my toybox! :blush:

Nice to see an original ash tray with foden model still in tact.I have over the years obtained many hoveringham model
fodens,but never managed to find one still mounted on the ash tray.I am still trying to find a good colour photo
of the A series E R F s belonging to hoveringham.This is the only photo i have .