Hoveringham gravels

TARMAC:
May be you’ll know some of the faces on here ? A presentation at the quarry, from 1950…

Thanks for that TARMAC; I have a copy of that photo somewhere and have been trying to dig it out for Nigel.

The little boy is Christopher Needler, son of chairman Harold Needler standing on his left. I think the gentleman in the foreground on left is Noel North, the quarry manager; and the good-looking bloke receiving the toaster (for ten years service I think) is my late father, Bob Scrivener.I think his colleague is Tommy Midgely; of the drivers standing in the background, I think the one standing between Needler senior and Junior is Bill Coton, hopefully Nigel will correct me if I’m wrong. The lady on the far right is my aunt, Dorothy Winn, who worked in the canteen IIRC; Nigel’s mother-in-law and still going strong.

I actually remember my mum using that toaster; it’d have been at least fifteen years old by then, better made than the modern rubbish!

borrowed from anther thread, Mammoth International Tramsport…

photo from my collection.

duckydave:
Hiya Everyone

As I did not realise this site existed till yesterday it came as a very pleasant surprise that it does My Name is Dave Weston and I used to work as Mechanic the Workshop Foreman at Reading (Pingewood) and latterly Bray quarries all at Hovvys used to know me as Ducky Dave, and I wonder is there anyone on this site that remembers me, I actually worked there from 1969 till 1976 some great times.

The Pictures of the Scania at Reading is one of the ones I remember fondly because it was a sister one I did my HGV training in alongside Vic Skelton the then Foreman Driver at Reading.

So Much I remember so If anyone would like to get in touch contact me via this site

Oh and by the way I am still in touch with Johnny Hard who was the southern region transport man

Found this in an old hoveringham mag.

Hoveringham Albion Reiver taking part in the lorry driver of the year at Melton Mowbray 1967.
HuN0676.jpg
transportphotos.com/road/photo/HUN0676

Two Hoveringham Foden here taking part in the Lorry Driver of the Year comp.Leicester & Southend1966
Hoveringham Foden BRR459C.jpg

Hoveringham Foden..jpg
DAF 2300 at Tipcon 1979
Hoveringham DAF 2300.CRC98T.jpg

:smiley: First of all I would like to say how chuffed I was to come across the hoveringham website I drove out of Dean quarry for quite a few years during the 60’s when the M1 was under constuction.
The Driver’s and staff were a great set of people. I started of with a TK Bedford with Eaton two speed few week’s a Leyland four wheeler soon after 6 wheeled Albion Reiver Brand spanking new KNN 920E with the new flat cab like driving a R.R. I will post a couple photo’s once I get the hang of it.Cheer.s

[attachment=0]clip_image002-1.jpg[/attachment]

clip_image002-1.jpg

[attachment=0]File0009.jpg[/attachment]Before any one complain’s about dangerous parking just delivered a load of 2inch down to dust at a local farmer for is farm track end of track.[attachment=0]File0009.jpg[/attachment]

Have a look at A to Z select C 23 there’s a beauty out of Dean

nigelhunt:
Many thanks for the info john,im afraid i cant comment on this one as it was before my time.I do remember hoveringham running
a large fleet of albions in the 70s.The magjority of them were six wheelers with lad cabs,we knew them as albion 29ts.
I remember a company called WHATS OF NOTTS running some ex hoveringham lorries,but as regards to berresford i havent a clue.
I have been trying to find photos of albions but they seem to have vanished.

:smiley:

caledonian 38:
:smiley:

Here are some of the lads from Dean Quarry Cliff Bradley his Dad was in charge of the garage Vinny Power’s John Francis David Windle Big Sam Steeples Harold Slater Philip Kay Terry Wilson
Tanker Driver’s the Creme de leme Bob Brown John Smith David Turner Brian Pardener All great blokes I remembered a lot of the first names But the Credit goes to my old mate in filling the full details Bob King and I nearly forgot one bloke do not no his full name but they all way’s called him Wobbler so I did not want to leave him out.
Ps I am the good looking one in the middle Ray
Taken out side “Rutland” Pub opposite Masson Mill :unamused:

O Nearly Forgot Land Lady Nancy

Hi there Donk the Bloke who drove the Lorry and drag was out Of Dean and his name was Percy Waiton AEC Mandator 10 Ton in Lorry and drag

BonkeyDollocks:
One more for now.
I believe this operated from Dene but I’m unsure of the location of the shot. I seem to think it may be the road between Wirksworth and Ashbourne. :confused:

This one Harold Webster Digger Driver one of the best in fact the best he could load you with in a hundred weight of your maximum load in Dean Quarry some time in the 60’s

Just one more of the lads a reshuffel of posses with Nancy[attachment=0]File0012.jpg[/attachment]

Great to see some more photos of hoveringham lorries.Heres one of my van in the 1970s.

Welcome to the forum caledonion,been all morning trying to find photos of hoveringham stone not already on this thread.
Hope this is of interest to you.

nigelhunt:
Great to see some more photos of hoveringham lorries.Heres one of my van in the 1970s.0

What the hell happened to that. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :question: :question:

Tried turning into a field,problem was missed the tipper driver overtaking me.Thankfully not wearing a seat belt saved my life.Thrown
through the windscreen on impact.Photos taken outside hoveringham body shop.