Home brew sleeper cabs

vgt8.jpg

I like that a lot.

robert1952:
And this, I think, is precisely the kind of thing the OP is looking for: a LHD Bedford KM (probably with a D/D engine and 9-speed Fuller), with a rabbit hutch jammed on the back! Robert

LHD KM poss DD+F9.jpg
A pity I hadn’t spotted this most interesting thread earlier! Some sleepers are rough “do it yourself” job, but other are very fine work. Isn’t this sleeper made from part of a Commer van?

And now a Foden S20 found on a Russian website.

Froggy55:

robert1952:
And this, I think, is precisely the kind of thing the OP is looking for: a LHD Bedford KM (probably with a D/D engine and 9-speed Fuller), with a rabbit hutch jammed on the back! Robert

A pity I hadn’t spotted this most interesting thread earlier! Some sleepers are rough “do it yourself” job, but other are very fine work. Isn’t this sleeper made from part of a Commer van?

And now a Foden S20 found on a Russian website.

That Bedford is just about right, with the added bonus of having a little extra headroom…the times I banged my head on the ■■■■ roof!

The Foden…a clever bit of cutting and shutting there, very upmarket.

Thanks for all the replies chaps…any more?

Just found this… a strange beast.

23454798205_f747aa2ecd.jpg

Richard J:

Australian Atkinson with a pigeon-loft sleeper, I’d say. Robert

One from PJD

robert1952:

Richard J:

Australian Atkinson with a pigeon-loft sleeper, I’d say. Robert

Did Jennings have an Australian branch? :unamused: :unamused:

Nothing difficult involved or any coach work skills needed but here’s one I did as at the time high roof cabs were a lot more money

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=95778&hilit=Transplant

Found this one in Chile a few weeks ago and in my opinion it Looks awesome:

Speaking of high roof conversions, this is what we done to my Sed Atk 401.
We cut the roof off and replaced it with a high roof off a municipal crew cab. My mate who was a genius at this sort of stuff made the narrower cab roof fit the wider 401 by ‘‘blending’’ it in to a fibreglass roof spoiler attachment.
He then put a top bunk in out of my old B Series ERF, and lined the interior with brown carpet.
Last job was putting Twin Eminox Stacks up the back from my old Renault 410 that we scrapped, and a set of chrome wheel trims, and a second bumper as an underrun spoiler.
This thing really looked the part, and stood out, and with the space cab and the combo of the 290E, Fuller, Rockwell combo, it was a dream motor of it’s time. :sunglasses:
This photo does not do it justice tbh.(click on it for a better view) … I loved this truck.

When I packed in I sold it around 1996, to a guy who’s name has often cropped up on this forum, a steel haulier from S. Wales called Ernie Sayce, who I knew from a few years earlier when he ran out of BSC Gartcosh back loading home in his US White .
He ran this truck out of S.Wales BSC (the name escapes me) and I never ever saw it again, but always looked out for it when down there.

Froggy55:
LHD Bedford KM (probably with a D/D engine and 9-speed Fuller), with a rabbit hutch jammed on the back! Robert

Could the back of that cab be off a Maggie Deutz?

My old Super Hippo with a sleeper cab which was off an S model Kenworth and had had a hard life and had been removed as the main frame was cracked in a couple of places so I parted with $50 took it home and managed to repair it then fitted it to the Hippo bit of paint and then spent many nights pushing out Zs in comparative luxury compared to the trusty swag.

Cheers DIG

Another one I came across…I quite like this one.

robroy:
Speaking of high roof conversions, this is what we done to my Sed Atk 401.
We cut the roof off and replaced it with a high roof off a municipal crew cab. My mate who was a genius at this sort of stuff made the narrower cab roof fit the wider 401 by ‘‘blending’’ it in to a fibreglass roof spoiler attachment.
He then put a top bunk in out of my old B Series ERF, and lined the interior with brown carpet.
Last job was putting Twin Eminox Stacks up the back from my old Renault 410 that we scrapped, and a set of chrome wheel trims, and a second bumper as an underrun spoiler.
This thing really looked the part, and stood out, and with the space cab and the combo of the 290E, Fuller, Rockwell combo, it was a dream motor of it’s time. :sunglasses:
This photo does not do it justice tbh.(click on it for a better view) … I loved this truck.

When I packed in I sold it around 1996, to a guy who’s name has often cropped up on this forum, a steel haulier from S. Wales called Ernie Sayce, who I knew from a few years earlier when he ran out of BSC Gartcosh back loading home in his US White .
He ran this truck out of S.Wales BSC (the name escapes me) and I never ever saw it again, but always looked out for it when down there.

He did a good job on that - looks the part. I’d more than happy to spend a week in that now! Robert

Couple of crusaders

@Robroy the bitchmeister, your 401 certainly looks the business and would rate 10/10 in my book apart from one thing that really knocks it down to 5/10 ? You’ve got your cab flags facing the wrong way! What where you thinking? we all know that cab flags have to be facing outwards :wink: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

davepenn54:
@Robroy the bitchmeister, your 401 certainly looks the business and would rate 10/10 in my book apart from one thing that really knocks it down to 5/10 ? You’ve got your cab flags facing the wrong way! What where you thinking? we all know that cab flags have to be facing outwards :wink: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Are they not?
Maybe just faded and looks as if wrong way.

We all know flags and pennants were compulsory by law in the 80s, :smiley: …but this was early 90s and I was trying to wean myself off them. Just look at one of my previous motors, an ERF and you will see what I mean. :blush: :smiley:

robroy:

davepenn54:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Are they not?
Maybe just faded and looks as if wrong way.

We all know flags and pennants were compulsory by law in the 80s, :smiley: …but this was early 90s and I was trying to wean myself off them. Just look at one of my previous motors, an ERF and you will see what I mean. :blush: :smiley:

‘Danger’ stripes on the visor is an interesting innovation! Robert