Home brew sleeper cabs

D91207DB-5B6F-437C-82BD-FD1B3054F22C.jpeg

Nmp

gazsa401:

Nmp

Why on earth? FL 7s, like their predecessor F86 Bubble, couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, configured as a body truck. As a semi-trailer they’d be considered a mobile traffic calming device.

Another one off FB.

290567803_5254805391262931_6774521767568876801_n.jpg

Star down under.:

gazsa401:

Nmp

Why on earth? FL 7s, like their predecessor F86 Bubble, couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, configured as a body truck. As a semi-trailer they’d be considered a mobile traffic calming device.

They were a lot better than some of the crap around at the time they were popular, they had comfort, heating and a radio that you could hear whilst on the move & for the operator they were light.

jshepguis:
Another one off FB.

I drove that for a couple of days back in '86. It was operated by BJ Walton of Aylesham in Kent. It had a ■■■■■■■ 320 in it with a 9-sp Fuller and double-drive. Here’s a picture I took of it when I had parked up for breakfast somewhere down the M4.

What was it like climbing up and sleeping in that pod ■■

whisperingsmith:
What was it like climbing up and sleeping in that pod ■■

Mercifully, I never had to go up there. Home at the end of the shifts. I hated those pods with a vengeance, as I had them on MAN drawbar outfits - deathtraps. One caught fire and the bloody pod evaporated in moments. I wouldn’t touch one with a bargepole now!

The C-series ERF on the other hand was nice to drive. It would have been nearly new then. I remember thinking how much better the 9-sp Fuller was after the B-series. Now I know that it would’ve been because the C-series had the RTX version which gave a better change.

dave docwra:

Star down under.:

gazsa401:

Nmp

They were a lot better than some of the crap around at the time they were popular, they had comfort, heating and a radio that you could hear whilst on the move & for the operator they were light.

Can’t argue with the comfort comments, but Europe and Japan had smaller horses than the Yanks.

ERF-NGC-European:

Good grief

Suedehead:

ERF-NGC-European:

Good grief

That’s what I thought! The only use I can think of for half an Aerodyne roof, is as an observation turret to see what’s causing the traffic jam :laughing: .

Meanwhile, here’s another oddity:

^^

If estate agents sold lorries this would be described as a penthouse with panoramic views of the industrial estate :laughing:

ezydriver:
^^

If estate agents sold lorries this would be described as a penthouse with panoramic views of the industrial estate :laughing:

:laughing: …or ‘sea glimpses’ if you’re parked up at Dover.

This might illuminate. Was the gas stored upstairs like a wartime van? :laughing:

I’d say it’s just based on a MB Econic chassis, with an extra streamlining of its cab. Doesn’t make much sense because the Econic is designed for urban deliveries, thus at moderate speed!

You could probably rent the spare bunk(s?) out on couchsurfing.com or air-bnb and make some extra cash each night :laughing:

Hellava crew cab on this SA!

FB_IMG_1656946239245.jpg
FB_IMG_1656946234368.jpg
FB_IMG_1656946224579.jpg

From a M/E Facebook group, the erf looks a knife and fork job, although there’s a photo of it on the M/E run.

Steve

vwvanman0:
From a M/E Facebook group, the erf looks a knife and fork job, although there’s a photo of it on the M/E run.

Steve

That ERF with the LV cab was on the Pakistan run :open_mouth: !

LV to Pakistan 2.jpg