Home brew sleeper cabs

mushroomman:
This thread has just reminded me that I bought a Sputnik washing machine in South West Africa back in 1975 for a lot less than 100 Rand, it was ideal for working in the bush. And after doing a bit of Googling I am surprised to see that they are still selling them.

sputnikwashingmachine.co.za/

I.I.R.C. this photo from page 3 of the blue D.A.F. was driven by Keith Headley from Bury, Lancashire who did some Middle East work in the late eighties and early nineties.

Any idea who he bought that DAF off, or who the previous owner was?
It looks like ex David Sisson,.an owner driver who I used to know who replaced it with the first DAF 95 Superspace Lhd ■■■■■■■ powered, in the country.

robert1952:
A Guy Big-J and a LHD ‘ergo’ Leyland. robert

I think I remember a couple of Big J sleepers of Longs of Leeds . Sold by Archbolds the local distributer.

jeffrey ellener:

robert1952:
A Guy Big-J and a LHD ‘ergo’ Leyland. robert

I think I remember a couple of Big J sleepers of Longs of Leeds . Sold by Archbolds the local distributer.

Yes indeed! And here’s a pic of one of them. Knightrider was one firm who built Guy sleeper conversions, though I don’t know who did them for Longs. Robert

2338921168_b2f9e7c84e_z.jpg

FB_IMG_1567494550259.jpg
Dear oh dear !!

coomsey:
Dear oh dear !!

:laughing: :laughing:

coomsey:
Dear oh dear !!

That could be a cut down rigid

ramone:

coomsey:
Dear oh dear !!

Does that make it better or worse ■■ Does anyone care ■■ I never ever drove a motor on looks, but I may have drawn a line there !!

At an RDC recently, I was sat next to the old driver of that. He used to do the middle east in it, once going to Pakistan.

ramone:

coomsey:
Dear oh dear !!

Does belong to removals company , may be the main body was damaged beyond repair but the chassis was got and he got a cheap box trailer and chopped the truck chassis instead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

> ezydriver:
> At an RDC recently, I was sat next to the old driver of that. He used to do the middle east in it, once going to Pakistan.

Bet he flew home (via the Middle East - Not that far from Pakistan) :stuck_out_tongue:

blue estate:

ramone:

coomsey:
Dear oh dear !!

Does belong to removals company , may be the main body was damaged beyond repair but the chassis was got and he got a cheap box trailer and chopped the truck chassis instead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bet it bounced around a bit with that short wheelbase even worse unit only

my dads drivers had the benefit of a couple of these on the trailer to kip in on the way down to st tropez, had to slum it on the way back though.

coomsey:
Dear oh dear !!

I had one of them hatchet pods on a Bedford TL…was very cosy …better than the parcel shelf

coomsey:
Dear oh dear !!

This one could certainly have competed for “the most ugly truck of its year”. Nevertheless better than having to sleep on the passenger seat!

Very true i “cabbed” it in a Guy big J for about three years and the doctors can’t understand why my lower vertebrae are misaligned . Progressed to an ERF A series after that at least the seats and bonnet lined up. Happy days nevertheless.

Nice in LV in June

FB_IMG_1570548592335.jpg
Nmp

I had never noticed the door on Keith Headleys DAF. I remember the lorry though.

coomsey:
Nmp

Blimey Coomsey, I hope that container’s empty, or he’ll be working those 6 gears all day! :open_mouth: Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

coomsey:
Nmp

Blimey Coomsey, I hope that container’s empty, or he’ll be working those 6 gears all day! :open_mouth: Robert

For sure Robert, assuming it’s a Ford chassis !!■■