Hmrc

Sploom:
I have to use that gateway website to claim tax back from extra pension contributions.you can send a secure message but it takes 2 months fir them to read it and respond but that doesnt matter.Its better than waiting on the phone for hours.
I think its a good idea to check how much you earn
And how much tax you paid and if it matches the tax allowances for that year

And also to check if a previous employer has been honest, and paid your tax and NI contributions, it happens, twice whilst employed by a company for 10 years 2 of those years have no record of me paying any NI contributions and would imagine no tax was paid either, this was between 1990 and 2000, and happened to all the drivers there, with one being refused a mortgage as he did not have a full employment history because of it, I didn’t find out for a very long time that this had happened, only found out in 2018 when I became self employed and registered for online HMRC and being asked volunterely pay the short fall of £800 odd for those lost 2 years to get full state pension.

But isnt it the case that you only need 30 years ni contribution?
In my case,Ive already paid 30 years,so if my employer doesnt pay my ni,this wouldnt affect my pension would it…

By the way,you can have a gateway log in for national insurance too,and you can see all your contributions since you started work

Sploom:
But isnt it the case that you only need 30 years ni contribution?
In my case,Ive already paid 30 years,so if my employer doesnt pay my ni,this wouldnt affect my pension would it…

By the way,you can have a gateway log in for national insurance too,and you can see all your contributions since you started work

You need 35 years contributions for the full pension now. The .gov website has a lot of information regarding this
Tyneside

edd1974:
I know not truck driving related. As such.

But has anyone had dealing with HMRC and how on earth do you contact them. Get to speak to a human being
Story short had 4 letters in post from HMRC all saying different things . And common thing is I owe them money ranging from £1000 to £3000 and I don’t know why or how
As am employed granted started new job a few months ago and ever since been on emergency tax code.

There is a number on letter ring it get a robot. Asking questions. Then eventually get thank you your call is being diverted please hold. Then after a few mins it goes thank you for calling goodbye.
I’ve tried there online site thing.
Anyway anyone have ideas how to contact HMRC maybe a different phone one.number or any advice thanks

So many letters would suggest it’s addressing more than one tax year which would also explain the differing amounts?

Also if this sounds patronising tell me to beep off but are you sure none of these are actually rebates/notification of overpayment? I made a prime ■■■ of myself years back about a 3k bill that was actually a rebate.

Beau Nydel:
If you’ve had 4 letters all with different info on them I would be very wary as to whether they are genuine.This is a very busy time for con artists to contact you! As above, get in touch with your local tax office, don’t use any numbers on the letters. Your HR dept. should have local office number. Good luck.

Good advice

Be very careful, it’s extremely unlikely they would send 4 letters with different amounts, not impossible of course but I’d definitely be logging onto HMRC website or .gov site or contacting local tax office before doing anything else as it sounds a bit odd.

. It could be a kind of phishing con

Go on the government gateway. You will see how much you have paid in tax. There are scammers out there who may be trying it on.

weeto:

Sploom:
I have to use that gateway website to claim tax back from extra pension contributions.you can send a secure message but it takes 2 months fir them to read it and respond but that doesnt matter.Its better than waiting on the phone for hours.

And also to check if a previous employer has been honest, and paid your tax and NI contributions, it happens, twice whilst employed by a company for 10 years 2 of those years have no record of me paying any NI contributions and would imagine no tax was paid either, this was between 1990 and 2000, and happened to all the drivers there, with one being refused a mortgage as he did not have a full employment history because of it, I didn’t find out for a very long time that this had happened, only found out in 2018 when I became self employed and registered for online HMRC and being asked volunterely pay the short fall of £800 odd for those lost 2 years to get full state pension.

You only need 35 years of contributions to get the full state pension

shullbit:

weeto:

Sploom:

You only need 35 years of contributions to get th

e full state pension

Watch the government extend that in the coming years.

weeto:

Sploom:
Icheck if a previous employer has been honest, and paid your tax and NI contributions, it happens, twice whilst employed by a company for 10 years 2 of those years have no record of me paying any NI contributions and would imagine no tax was paid either, this was between 1990 and 2000, and happened to all the drivers there, with one being refused a mortgage as he did not have a full employment history because of it, I didn’t find out for a very long time that this had happened, only found out in 2018 when I became self employed and registered for online HMRC and being asked volunterely pay the short fall of £800 odd for those lost 2 years to get full state pension.

This is what I’m thinking was employed by a small company for 8 Years for last 2 years was run by a differwnt owner.
As previous owner sold up retired
And he basically ran company into the ground and out the blue Easter last year we all got a txt saying company’s shutting down empty your trucks over Easter weekend . He never paid into this government pension for a while .
Depsite stopping it out of our wages

Was getting a payslip every weeke showing tax. Ni deductions as normal.
Does make me wonder if was this.
But would HMRC take pity on me if I can show payslips saying so?
Then joined agency was working someware statiaght away did 6 months then company took me on direct.

Sorry to jump onto this but just had my letter through and hmrc want to decrease my personal allowance yo 4.5k next year which means paying approx 16k in tax next year. I know its an estimation based on me battering the overtime recently but do you just ring them up and they will adjust it to a more accurate forecast because i make it they predict a salary of somewhere between 70/80k ?

Thanks

astanka:
Sorry to jump onto this but just had my letter through and hmrc want to decrease my personal allowance yo 4.5k next year which means paying approx 16k in tax next year. I know its an estimation based on me battering the overtime recently but do you just ring them up and they will adjust it to a more accurate forecast because i make it they predict a salary of somewhere between 70/80k ?

Thanks

HMRC cannot reduce your personal allowance.
What they can do is reduce your tax code. And yes you just ring them and justify why they are wrong in their assumption.
But your story doesn’t make sense you have to have 2 or multiple sources of income for them to reduce your tax code not just overtime at your only source of income.

stu675:

astanka:

Thanks

HMRC cannot reduce your personal allowance.
What they can do is reduce your tax code. And yes you just ring them and justify why they are wrong in their assumption.
But your story doesn’t make sense you have to have 2 or multiple sources of income for them to reduce your tax code not just overtime at your only source of income.

I have had the same happen to me.
End of the tax year I was owed the tax man 600 on paye
They done the same thing reduced my free personal allowance for the next year to pay back the money instead of paying hmrc a lump sum

astanka:

Thanks

As others have said re your overtime being the issue but this is where higher rate tax comes in (earnings after £50271), that’s how they will get their cash, if you’ve had a decreased tax code it’s down to something else.

Spoke to them last week and only had to wait half hour and they sorted it and were very helpful.

Thanks for replies

Give up on the phone calls and write to them - snail mail not email.

After a spell as self-employed and transferring my unemployed wife’s allowance to me, it took three years of letters back and forth to resolve the issues and for them to agree that I did not owe them anything. They would write to me and I would reply in a few days. A couple of months later, they would reply - and so on.

I recently saw on Government Gateway, that they are now trying out email correspondence. I did not click on “I agree” to that. Maybe in a few years’ time, but I do not want to take part in an experiment.