Hippies

Inevitably we will keep exploiting the planet and raising population until it all goes pop. It’s in our DNA.
The planet won’t mind, it’ll just continue and the animals and plants left will start to evolve to fit the new ecosystem.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Harry Monk:
"Actress Emma Thompson joined the protests in London after taking a 5,400-mile flight from Los Angeles in the US

She said: "I absolutely wanted to be arrested on my 60th birthday but I didn’t quite manage that.

“I’m so proud and thrilled to be part of Extinction Rebellion.”

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I wonder if she understood the irony of flying (most likely first class) from Los Angeles to London to attend a climate change demo? :open_mouth:
According to carbon calculators, each first class passenger on the flight would equal about 3 tonnes of Carbon, that’s about the same as driving an average petrol car for 10,000 miles.
I also wonder how many of the protestors really would be willing to really stand by their convictions, stop going on cheap flights for holidays, no gap year World tours. Stop using consumer goods that are made half way round the World, using materials dug out of the ground many thousands of miles from the point of production and using production techniques that require a lot of energy.
It’s ridiculous that I can get a flight from Marseille to Stanstead for £45, but using the railways, which was a realistic option on timescales I had, was around the £200 mark.

As Franglais has said, if the problem is as serious as suggested, then tinkering with our present way of life is pointless, we need radical change and it’s us in the richest parts of the World who produce the carbon or buy products from the countries producing it, and the real changes would probably adversely affect the way of life of those who like to virtue signal about how much they care for the environment far more than many of us.

suffolkgazette.com/news/emm … WBfIGMBC6s

muckles:
I also wonder how many of the protestors really would be willing to really stand by their convictions, stop going on cheap flights for holidays, no gap year World tours. Stop using consumer goods that are made half way round the World, using materials dug out of the ground many thousands of miles from the point of production and using production techniques that require a lot of energy.
It’s ridiculous that I can get a flight from Marseille to Stanstead for £45, but using the railways, which was a realistic option on timescales I had, was around the £200 mark.

We are all familiar with the principle “the polluter pays”, and having taxes on fuel for that reason. But aircraft fuels are mostly tax exempt! Add to that, emissions higher up in the air can be more damaging than those lower down, and it shows the crazy situation we are in. Political suicide for anyone to put realistic taxes on fuels, and take away the cheap flights so many take for granted, so don`t expect change any time soon.

Harry Monk:
https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/emma-thompson-climate/?fbclid=IwAR1GEb-dAzSOI8qJGxy1R-EYUDL0t1leiHO3e0zTMkY7SWAyoWBfIGMBC6s

The good old Suffolk Gazette. When you want cheered up, it should be your first port of call.

They’ve nailed it with this quote . . .

"Crusty-haired, middle-class, jobless climate change protester Lorraine Fisher, 34, said: “We are dead against people flying – it damages the environment and we are all going to die.

It was lovely of Emma Thompson to fly in from LA to join us."

One officer insisted: “We have arrested around 400 of them, but the journeys in gas-guzzling police vans to and from the nick are probably defeating the object.”

The extinction of the Human race is coming unless we change our ways.

Munchkin:
Inevitably we will keep exploiting the planet and raising population until it all goes pop. It’s in our DNA.
The planet won’t mind, it’ll just continue and the animals and plants left will start to evolve to fit the new ecosystem.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Yep. Pretty much this.
The Planet’s been through worse, and it has recovered.

I remember being told fifty years ago that the oil would run out in fifty years. Hasn’t happened. We should do something about the waste though, I see double deck buses running around with no or few passengers. Had a meal in Nando"s the bottled water came from Portugal. Why import water to Scotland, we usually have more than enough of our own.

alamcculloch:
I remember being told fifty years ago that the oil would run out in fifty years. Hasn’t happened. We should do something about the waste though, I see double deck buses running around with no or few passengers. Had a meal in Nando"s the bottled water came from Portugal. Why import water to Scotland, we usually have more than enough of our own.

We don’t just have enough, we have MORE than enough. We actually export it. But, market forces being what they are, we import bottled water from Portugal. (didn’t know about that by the way and I find it shocking).

Did anyone see that recent clip of the orangutan trying to fight off the digger destroying its home?

The digger is clearing the rainforests of Borneo to make way for palm oil production. Palm oil is a key ingredient in biofuels, something the EU has said must account for 20% of all fuel sold by 2020.

What’s the message here?

Nite Owl:
Did anyone see that recent clip of the orangutan trying to fight off the digger destroying its home?

The digger is clearing the rainforests of Borneo to make way for palm oil production. Palm oil is a key ingredient in biofuels, something the EU has said must account for 20% of all fuel sold by 2020.

What’s the message here?

We cut down our forests for sheep farming centuries ago, so we’re no better

And Highland sheep farms are unprofitable they can only survive by subsidies

Nite Owl:

What’s the message here?

forbes.com/sites/davekeatin … 78a8b9c9da
“After years of controversy and delay, the European Commission yesterday made a definitive verdict on biofuel from palm oil – and it was not the verdict producers of the fuel wanted to hear.
The Commission concluded that the cultivation of palm oil, mostly undertaken in Indonesia and Malaysia, results in excessive deforestation. It should therefor not be eligible to count toward EU renewable transport targets for national governments.”

Franglais:

Nite Owl:

What’s the message here?

“After years of controversy and delay, the European Commission yesterday made a definitive verdict on biofuel from palm oil – and it was not the verdict producers of the fuel wanted to hear.
The Commission concluded that the cultivation of palm oil, mostly undertaken in Indonesia and Malaysia, results in excessive deforestation. It should therefor not be eligible to count toward EU renewable transport targets for national governments.”

A decision only made last week, despite knowing about it for years.

No doubt spurred on by footage of an orangutan being evicted and the associated bad press.

Nite Owl:
What’s the message here?

If you knock an orangutans pint over you buy it another quick sharp?

Nite Owl:

What’s the message here?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i was looking for the dale farm video clip there…my mistake… :confused:

Ban the bomb and do ■■■■ all for a living.
Be nice wouldn’t it?

Those idiots have painted a sailing boat pink most likely with oil based paint, then pulled it through a city with a diesel powered lorry. Why? When I am driving I try to be fuel efficient and switch the engine off when its not needed. Does any one on here remember how the police treated the striking coal miners?

alamcculloch:
Those idiots have painted a sailing boat pink most likely with oil based paint, then pulled it through a city with a diesel powered lorry. Why? When I am driving I try to be fuel efficient and switch the engine off when its not needed. Does any one on here remember how the police treated the striking coal miners?

The pink boat has helped with the headlines and publicity hasn’t it? We’re discussing it here. So that’s a success.
The use of fuel to get it there seems insignificant given the aims of cutting much more.

Police and the miners?
What are you saying?
The police were (IMHO) too heavy handed and politically motivated in the eighties. They are now arresting and removing peaceful protesters by non-violent means. That seems proportionate to me. No need for a Peterloo charge.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Nite Owl:

What’s the message here?

Must admit i’m becoming increasingly palm-oil aware of late,even sacrificed mi m&s mandarin cheesecake :angry: ,an act of considerable gallantry on my part.I am noticing an increased French language-ingredients descriptions of late i have to say.Coincidence? :open_mouth:

Franglais:
About 8 billon people alive today. About 110 billion people…ever.

Homo Sapien have been around 50,000 years and our population is expanding exponentially.

It is politically difficult to talk of population controls. It infringes on personal liberties, religion, and has echoes of the “white west” telling people of a different colour how to behave.
Our system has demanded a ready supply of young workers to support the older ones. Our society is a huge Ponzi scheme. Capitalism, as it exists today is a pyramid with an ever widening base. It is unsustainable.

Any solutions will need to be truly radical. An extra windmill or two, may postpone the problem, ever so slightly, but it ain’t a cure.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Just amply illustrates the inherent contradictions between corporate plunderers who run the nest-fouling agenda and the chronic need for these fine folks protesting in Babylondon to establish a powerful new (uncompromised) counter measure.Greenpeace are useless nowadays anyway by their conspicuous absence from more hot-button issues,for instance the nine million acres of Brazilian rain-forest that have had protections removed by the new pos pesident of that nation.The silence from so-called environmental groups in the traditional mold is deafening.Shame that weapons-grade phoney Emma Thompson had to dip her beak into the proceedings though.