High mileage trucks

PA22:

md1987:
Like a recon motor or gearbox that’s cheaper than a repair so when does it stop being original lol

Like Triggers Broom with its 17 new heads and handles lol :unamused: :laughing:

:laughing:

There is a Ford Falcon in the HoF with a million kilometers on the speedo. The engine is original and the head has never been removed. It was a hire car, based in the Alice, never did stop-start driving.

roadtransporthall.com/

Way back in dark history when I was in traffic at the long defunct Northwest Freighters in a fleet with very high mileages one stood out, an ERF CP series with a ■■■■■■■ L10-290 and 9 speed fuller registered C120OFY went for it’s second MOT with 840,000km on it.

Was in a taxi last night (a Volvo S80 diesel) and it had over 615,000km on the clock. Would never have guessed just by sitting in it.

blue estate:

the nodding donkey:

Sploom:
We have new MAN trucks at our place.They have to have special oil and costs £35 a litre.It holds 35 litres,so thats a grands worth of oil for an oil change,thats mental

I think MAN are pulling a fast one.

I wonder where they got that idea…

The Swedish truck company they own now

VW’s days of being the “people’s car” are long gone, £400+ for an oil change on a Polo, so MAN and Scania now under VW group should be no surprise.

RM Atherstone are a dumping ground for other depot’s units and they got some scabby old 08 plates with over a million miles on them.

They’re falling to bits and the gearboxes are awful but they tick over like brand new tbf.

Terry T:
RM Atherstone are a dumping ground for other depot’s units and they got some scabby old 08 plates with over a million miles on them.

They’re falling to bits and the gearboxes are awful but they tick over like brand new tbf.

And it’s pretty much the same with cars.

I remember my best mate buying a brand spanking new Mark 5 Cortina Crusader back in 1983, and a few years later remarking that it had just gone round the clock without needing to have the cylinder head off. Nowadays that sort of thing doesn’t even get a raised eyebrow; in fact if a car’s had any sort of surgery beyond a cambelt change before it’s got 100K on the clock, folk will take it as a harbinger of unreliability.

Read up the posts on the old timers section on this website, it’s full of rose tinted bulldust about the ERF’s, Atki’s and Fodens of the day going on forever. What they overlook is the sheer amount of engineering work required to keep them doing that; yes they will clock up high mileages but as somebody else mentioned, they often end up like Trigger’s broom in the process. I run a Foden S21 for fun so I see it from both sides.

And as for the oil on MAN’s; it’s all a cleverly concocted fiddle by the manufacturers. They know ■■■■ well that modern fleets by and large do not have either the facilities or the manpower to rebuild engines, and they also make it impossible for all but the biggest ones to do full rebuilds because of all the “special tools” necessary; most of which can be easily fabricated by a competent machinist. If in doubt, just add a sensor to the ECU which can only be re-set by a dealer’s computer. So they specify a certain oil, put a hefty mark-up on it and add the warranty bogeyman to keep the business.

I’ve owned Harley-Davidsons for over 30 years and they’re notorious for that sort of con trick.

Any decent quality full synthetic recommended for MAN 3677 low saps specification will be perfectly acceptable for latest MAN engines.

Here’s just one approved oil among many
transportoperator.co.uk/2014/02 … 6-engines/

As for long life engines/vehicles.
Someone was saying the other day that they thought oil spinners were a thing of the past, if so isn’t the engine oil and in particular the filter going to be in a right old state after 100,000kms (typical oil changine interval now, it wouldn’t be on any vehicle i owned) plus umpteen hours a week of fast idle for vehicles with PTO’s ie tankers/transporters
What makes me wonder about these extended intervals is the number of turbo failures one hears about these days, something that was unheard of back in the days of ■■■■■■■ engines in British motors, yes o know hardly anyone treats vehicles with mechanical sympathy re warming and cooling periods but, as with some cars with silly oil service intervals proving prone to blocking the turbo oilways, is this becoming an issue, would be most interested in the forum mechanics personal views on this.

Juddian:
What makes me wonder about these extended intervals is the number of turbo failures one hears about these days, something that was unheard of back in the days of ■■■■■■■ engines in British motors, yes o know hardly anyone treats vehicles with mechanical sympathy re warming and cooling periods but, as with some cars with silly oil service intervals proving prone to blocking the turbo oilways, is this becoming an issue, would be most interested in the forum mechanics personal views on this.

Probably like your good self, mate, I’m in the habit of letting the engine run at idle for a minute or two before I drive off from cold, and likewise before I shut off at night. Many “driver trainers” have told me it’s no longer necessary with modern vehicles; I’m not so sure, so I ignore their advice, and I’ve only ever had one turbo blow in all they years I’ve been driving.

Sidevalve:

Juddian:

Probably like your good self, mate, I’m in the habit of letting the engine run at idle for a minute or two before I drive off from cold, and likewise before I shut off at night. Many “driver trainers” have told me it’s no longer necessary with modern vehicles; I’m not so sure, so I ignore their advice, and I’ve only ever had one turbo blow in all they years I’ve been driving.

Sadly some driver trainers and even driving instructors can be clueless, unable to distinguish between how one drives a car and a fully freighted truck, eagerly taking what they have been told by makers who don’t want the vehicle to last indefinately as gospel :bulb: , i’ll be very surprised if good owner drivers and small hauliers buy into extended servicing routines.

Juddian:
Any decent quality full synthetic recommended for MAN 3677 low saps specification will be perfectly acceptable for latest MAN engines.

Someone was saying the other day that they thought oil spinners were a thing of the past, if so isn’t the engine oil and in particular the filter going to be in a right old state after 100,000kms (typical oil changine interval now, it wouldn’t be on any vehicle i owned) plus umpteen hours a week of fast idle for vehicles with PTO’s ie tankers/transporters

Regarding ■■■■■■■ engines, since the mid 1970s these all use turbos branded ‘■■■■■■■ turbo technologies’ but which were formerly Holset. Holset also supplied turbos to Volvo, Scania and Iveco, installation and replacement details emphasise the importance of unobstructed supply (and drainage) of clean oil of the required specification.
These things can be remarkably long-lived if treated properly (like most quality machinery)

Buckstones:

Juddian:

Regarding ■■■■■■■ engines, since the mid 1970s these all use turbos branded ‘■■■■■■■ turbo technologies’ but which were formerly Holset. Holset also supplied turbos to Volvo, Scania and Iveco, installation and replacement details emphasise the importance of unobstructed supply (and drainage) of clean oil of the required specification.
These things can be remarkably long-lived if treated properly (like most quality machinery)

I have little doubt in your day some serious misgivings would have been voiced among the engineers at Holset at the mere mention of 100k oil change intervals, let alone the idea of making the engine and its ancilliaries work hard from stone cold then be expected to shut down repeatedly whilst red hot.

Juddian:

I suppose like mentioned in another thread it all comes down to if it’s your truck or not. Cab hoppers (myself included) don’t care one jot for warming the engine up or down, i likely won’t drive it for another week.
I wouldn’t say we’re changing more turbos these days than yesteryear, last turbo I saw changed at daf was a block & tackle job to lift it on and off. Don’t think it was the actual turbo that failed but some valve attached to it and of course its all sold as one unit… kerching!
Some daf engines still have a spinner. Don’t know if scania still do?. Had to do a bit of origami with the paper inserts on them lol
Noticed on the link that MAN wasn’t the first to approve the oil, Mercs & Volvo were first in. Mercs wrote the book on this crap.
So many more parts to go wrong now with a modern truck engine, mostly to do with emissions in my opinion. Which is another discussion. That’s just my two penneth worth as a mechanic turned trying driver