High earners child benefit tax trap

Sploom:
Yes ,something wrong somewhere.The other thing,the working tax credit.You only have to work 25 hours a week,then the government makes up the shortfall which is all very well,but where does the money come from?
From the guy working 60 hours.But why should he subsidise the one who can only be bothered to work 3 days?

Been like that since working/child tax credits were introduced.
Any amount of Employees out there “choose” to work only 2/3 shifts/week even though they could get 5.
Knew agency drivers years back wouldn’t work anymore than 3shifts because over the tax year it would then in turn affect their tax credits payment.
Whole system is up the left and not fit for purpose!!!

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Yes,you would never think the tories were in power,youde expect this sort of thing from Corbyn if he was running the country

Top tip #dontoverplayyourhand

I dont understand…

Sploom:

yourhavingalarf:
So long as the richest…

0.1% keep on paying a lower rate of tax than us ordinary proles, I’m going to keep on judging the [zb] out of them thanks.

Im not talking about those guys.Im on about professional roles like surgeons,engineers,or whatever,I dont know.If I had spent my life working really hard into a senior position,I cant see why I should then have half the money taken off me.The obvious exampke,a senior surgeon,takes 25 years hard work,then he gets taxed to the hilt.

Because the surgeon drives on roads that need tax to fix them. Because he needs a police service to protect his wealth. Because he needs schools. Cos he got a free education paid from tax.

Sploom:
I dont understand…

There are lots of things that I don’t understand either. Deal with it.

JeffA:

Sploom:

yourhavingalarf:
So long as the richest…

0.1% keep on paying a lower rate of tax than us ordinary proles, I’m going to keep on judging the [zb] out of them thanks.

Im not talking about those guys.Im on about professional roles like surgeons,engineers,or whatever,I dont know.If I had spent my life working really hard into a senior position,I cant see why I should then have half the money taken off me.The obvious exampke,a senior surgeon,takes 25 years hard work,then he gets taxed to the hilt.

Because the surgeon drives on roads that need tax to fix them. Because he needs a police service to protect his wealth. Because he needs schools. Cos he got a free education paid from tax.

I know but my point is,why does he have to pay more than the next guy.

the maoster:

Sploom:
I dont understand…

There are lots of things that I don’t understand either. Deal with it.

Deal with what?
You lost me

the maoster:
I think it’s fair that anyone earning over £50k a year shoulders a higher tax burden. It may seem unpalatable but surely it’s right that those with the most should contribute the most.

Of course in the real world gazillionaires probably pay proportionally less than a truck driver on £52k but that’s an argument for a different place.

Personally I’d be ecstatic to be paying £2k a week in tax.

Also it’s not fair one person can earn over 50k and have to pay some back even if partner only earns 10k joint income of 61k.
But … Both can earn 45k , joint 90k and pay nothing back! THATS NOT FAIR!

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

It’s not fair that fat ginger kids get picked on, but we are where we are.

the maoster:
It’s not fair that fat ginger kids get picked on, but we are where we are.

You have a very valid point, lots of things in life are not fair and never will be. No such thing as fairness most of the time. Someone somewhere always loses out.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Sploom:

JeffA:

Sploom:

yourhavingalarf:
So long as the richest…

I know but my point is,why does he have to pay more than the next guy.

Because the next guys skint.

I had the misfortune of having a driver tell me (and anyone who would listen) that he was ■■■■■■ off because of how much tax he had to pay on his earnings of 67k.

He wasn’t actually ■■■■■■ off it was just his way of telling everyone he earned 67k in the previous tax year.

When I pointed out that if he was in a position to be offered a 70k salary would he say to the prospective employer, no just pay me 50k as I don’t want to pay the extra tax, he got my point.

If you were to earn 150k a year you would still take home just short of 90k, it’s hardly a burden losing a personal allowance.

It is what it is.

This is why Ltd company ir35 Is the best the more you shaft the government the better you are. Playing good boy doesn’t work in the real world

Youre telling me that if earn 150k,you only get 90k.Thats shocking.No wonder we lose so many doctors to other lower tax countries.
There isnt much incentive to do really well then.Just as well I only ended up a trucker.

Its a system feature. As inflation pushes prices, as well as wages higher, more and more tax payers are pushed from below higher tax brackets, into higher tax brackets. For nominal GDP and Tax collections, inflation looks great. Nominal GDP seems to not be dropping horrendously even in a factual recession and public coffers are fuller than ever.
Still national debt hangs over at 32k per adult and cost of servicing it (interest payments) now stands at nearly 2k/year per household and climbing. Any hopes that the future isnt higher tax rates and lower public services standards is at best naivete

Sploom:
Youre telling me that if earn 150k,you only get 90k.Thats shocking.No wonder we lose so many doctors to other lower tax countries.
There isnt much incentive to do really well then.Just as well I only ended up a trucker.

You can exploit all kinds of tax loopholes if you are wealthy - thats why Trump only paid £750 a year income tax.

JeffA:

Sploom:

You can exploit all kinds of tax loopholes if you are wealthy - thats why Trump only paid £750 a year income tax.

Yes exactly the types of people earning that money also have the means to pay someone to reduce their liabilities or at least have knowledge of all the above board and completely legal allowances

JeffA:

Sploom:

Not really sure an American citizen would have that much income tax to pay HMRC in the UK though!!!

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk