HGV Licence gone

A mate of mine had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and has a triple heart bypass on Monday.
He’s had his licence suspended and is confident that he will be back at work in 12 weeks.
I think it is 12 weeks before you can apply to get it back and wondered if any of you know what the position is.

Cheers

davidj247:
A mate of mine had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and has a triple heart bypass on Monday.
He’s had his licence suspended and is confident that he will be back at work in 12 weeks.
I think it is 12 weeks before you can apply to get it back and wondered if any of you know what the position is.

Cheers

Think 12 week is really pushing it for his HGV tbh I know when my dad had his heart attack he couldnt drive for 12 weeks ( although he did not have the bypass ) think he will have to prove he is fit & also do the treadmill test before he get his HGV licence back

Good luck hope he recovers well

IIRC there was a poster on here that had a by pass

I’ve moved your post here so that it will stand a better chance of receiving more replies.

It’s also given me the opportunity to bump it to the top. :grimacing:

davidj247:

Cheers

I had a double bypass back in August 2009 had the 12 weeks recovery in the end I was out walking every day, then the hospital wanted me to do 6 weeks cardiac rehab, then the DVLA said I had got to do a treadmill ECG test I done that in December and waited until this April for them to say I had failed and they had revoked my HGV. I have now retaken the Treadmill test and back waiting for the DVLA again.
I think it is 12 weeks before you can apply for your licence back then they will sent you for a treadmill test. And start waiting for the results to come back.

colket:
I was ok taking 5 tablets a day to control my diabetes…i still take them plus 1 insulin injection a day.
The tablets was not working very well But i could still drive a truck…so 1 injection blood sugars are good and i car`nt drive…sorry but makes no sense to me…thanks for your replys

Good morning. Please excuse a non-driver joining in - I am a GP who does some occupational health and quite a few HGV medicals. There are two exceptions for insulin treated diabetes in the “rules”. One for drivers on insulin pre April 1991 (on a case by case basis), and a more recent change allowing a C1/C1E licence subject to meeting certain criteria.

Before starting insulin did you try or did anyone discuss an alternative injection called exanatide with you (or something similar)? This has not been around long but can be a useful add on when tablets do not suffice. It is not suitable for everyone but (subject to a case by case assessment by DVLA) you would generally be allowed to continue HGV driving whilst taking it. It can be particularly useful in people with diabetes who are overweight as it helps this as well, thus resulting in even better diabetic control. The only caution would be if you were on this and taking sulphonylurea drugs (for example gliclazide), when the risk of hypos is higher. However, it is not right for everyone but if it hasn’t been discussed by your doctor it may be worth asking about it and flagging up the difficulties that being on insulin causes with your occupation.

There is more information and some links that may be useful on our website Account Closed

Good luck
Richard

Hi Richard,

Just take a seat and the receptionist will call your name soon. :grimacing:
I couldn’t resist that one. :blush: :blush:

We’re very glad to have you aboard. :smiley:

rjgent:

colket:
I was ok taking 5 tablets a day to control my diabetes…i still take them plus 1 insulin injection a day.
The tablets was not working very well But i could still drive a truck…so 1 injection blood sugars are good and i car`nt drive…sorry but makes no sense to me…thanks for your replys

Good morning. Please excuse a non-driver joining in - I am a GP who does some occupational health and quite a few HGV medicals. There are two exceptions for insulin treated diabetes in the “rules”. One for drivers on insulin pre April 1991 (on a case by case basis), and a more recent change allowing a C1/C1E licence subject to meeting certain criteria.

Before starting insulin did you try or did anyone discuss an alternative injection called exanatide with you (or something similar)? This has not been around long but can be a useful add on when tablets do not suffice. It is not suitable for everyone but (subject to a case by case assessment by DVLA) you would generally be allowed to continue HGV driving whilst taking it. It can be particularly useful in people with diabetes who are overweight as it helps this as well, thus resulting in even better diabetic control. The only caution would be if you were on this and taking sulphonylurea drugs (for example gliclazide), when the risk of hypos is higher. However, it is not right for everyone but if it hasn’t been discussed by your doctor it may be worth asking about it and flagging up the difficulties that being on insulin causes with your occupation.

There is more information and some links that may be useful on our website Account Closed

Good luck
Richard

Hi richard,I`m being treated by a consultant who has now put me 4 injections a day 3 of which are novorapied & 1 of lantus +3 metfromin.

i rang the dvla and told them what i was taking and i was told to stop driving trucks straight away.i`m now waiting for my licence to return with my entiltelment removed.
many thanks colin

I have been advised not to drive at all at the moment

Sorry to hear that.
but,by the Job Situation in our Business may you get in better Situation when you overtake another Job in Office or Warehouse