Hgv cpc ban

Conor:

Jackron:
Morning to all
Is there any kind of campaign going on in relation to banning hgv driver cpc… as i guess it does apply to all with hgv entitlement
If there is a petition going on then can i have the details … if not is anyone likely to be starting one
Stay safe
Ron

No there isn’t and no you shouldn’t be starting one. As can be seen with plenty of examples in this forum and on HGV Facebook pages it is more than sorely needed as there are a lot of drivers who don’t even have a grasp of the basics of tacho rules.

If anything the DCPC needs to be made HARDER. It needs to involve a written test with a pass mark of around 70-80%, similar to other trade exams you’d do in other fields.

At least then you can say the ‘‘Driver shortage’’ is actually genuine. :bulb:
You will get a double whammy of two extremes, a lot drivers will fail because they aint too academic, even though they may be bloody good drivers, and a lot of academic types will pass, even if they will never make drivers in real terms as long as they have ■■■■ orifices.

GasGas:

Jackron:
Thanks for your reply… so do you think a petition by all in the industry would help?

I doubt it. You can expect some headlines later in the day which will explain why.

When you’ve got a drunk truck driver with no licence taking it upon himself to park in the live lane of a motorway for a snooze and another truck driver so busy chatting on the phone about inconsequential rubbish that he didn’t notice what the first driver had done and stuffed a minibus under the first truck, no elected politician is ever going to stand up and say…“Look, the standards in the industry are so high already, that these people don’t need training.”

And that’s without the near-daily appearance (on this forum and elsewhere) of pictures of trucks stuffed under clearly signed low bridges, or people not realising that most weight limits apply to a vehicle’s GVW (even though it says so on the signs) and thinking they can drive over weak bridges etc because they aren’t loaded.

Everytime I go out on the roads, I see truck drivers reacting brilliantly to save other road users from their own stupidity. Sadly, that professionalism (which is actually most of the truck drivers, most of the time) rarely makes headlines, and many other road users are so unaware that they don’t even realise what’s happened.

We live in a skewed world. Transport for London is aiming to ban all but a few trucks from London, “because they kill so many cyclists.” In fact, they don’t. The population of London is nearly 8.8 million. In 2016, eight cyclists died in traffic accidents on the streets of London, and not all of those incidents involved trucks. So that’s a one in a million chance of death…but it still necessitates special permits or truck designs.

I’d be more inclined to complain about that, to be honest.

in the case u quoted above about a drunck driver, may be a AA couse would work better than the cpc

Jackron:
Did anybody learn anything from the cpc ?
When i took mine 3 of my moduales were the same
Encouraged me more to have a well earned kip
In the classroom…
Apart from the trainers pocketing cash and the goverment… how do us truck drivers benefit from this stealth tax

I did but then again I was paying for my own so went to a decent place and chose modules I thought I’d benefit the most from. One module we did, the First Aid which was delivered by a retired Paramedic I don’t think a single person left that module without learning something. Certainly when it came to the EU drivers hours there were a lot like you who thought it was a waste of time who were shown up to be complete tools without a clue which I found mildly amusing. That also happened in the Adverse Weather driving course as well as all the same tools all bleated on about how crap auto boxes were in the snow, how they were the cause of all their woes and then the trainer, a snow plough driver, dropped the bombshell that the Mercedes Snow Plough he drives has an auto box and he doesn’t get stuck.

It was quite funny how those who were the most vocal about it all being a load of crap turned out to know the least.

Your own fault if you repeated the same modules and took that attitude. Chances are there was something you could have learned but decided you knew everything so chose to treat it as a joke and missed it probably not only once but three times.

robroy:
You will get a double whammy of two extremes, a lot drivers will fail because they aint too academic, even though they may be bloody good drivers, and a lot of academic types will pass, even if they will never make drivers in real terms as long as they have ■■■■ orifices.

I disagree. You don’t need to be academic to pass a multiple choice test done at the end of a day’s training, just paying attention. As some on here know I do amateur radio, there’s three levels of exams all multiple choice and as those hams will confirm there are a lot of amateurs who are quite poor academically who manage to pass what is a fairly technical set of three exams.

malcolmgbell:

GasGas:

Jackron:
Thanks for your reply… so do you think a petition by all in the industry would help?

I doubt it. You can expect some headlines later in the day which will explain why.

When you’ve got a drunk truck driver with no licence taking it upon himself to park in the live lane of a motorway for a snooze and another truck driver so busy chatting on the phone about inconsequential rubbish that he didn’t notice what the first driver had done and stuffed a minibus under the first truck, no elected politician is ever going to stand up and say…“Look, the standards in the industry are so high already, that these people don’t need training.”

And that’s without the near-daily appearance (on this forum and elsewhere) of pictures of trucks stuffed under clearly signed low bridges, or people not realising that most weight limits apply to a vehicle’s GVW (even though it says so on the signs) and thinking they can drive over weak bridges etc because they aren’t loaded.

Everytime I go out on the roads, I see truck drivers reacting brilliantly to save other road users from their own stupidity. Sadly, that professionalism (which is actually most of the truck drivers, most of the time) rarely makes headlines, and many other road users are so unaware that they don’t even realise what’s happened.

We live in a skewed world. Transport for London is aiming to ban all but a few trucks from London, “because they kill so many cyclists.” In fact, they don’t. The population of London is nearly 8.8 million. In 2016, eight cyclists died in traffic accidents on the streets of London, and not all of those incidents involved trucks. So that’s a one in a million chance of death…but it still necessitates special permits or truck designs.

in the case u quoted above about a drunck driver, may be a AA couse would work better than the cpc

He clearly had a drink problem…one of the DCPC topics is driver health and well-being …which includes being ‘drink-aware’.

One of the courses, on offer to the coach industry if not the truck industry, had a very interesting segment about drinking. Initially , the discussion is based on converting ‘units’ into pints. Then comes the interesting bit…out comes a wine glass, which is filled, then tipped into a pint glass, and the women present are usually amazed at just how full the wine glass makes the pint glass. It’s ‘sobering’ (groan) stuff, especially given the greater strength of wine and the female body’s reduced capacity for it.

In many cases, the reason people seem dissatisfied with the current DCPC is because its been done on the basis of choosing he cheapest courses and not the most interesting ones.

In my view, the DCPC need central funding from the industry, and should use modern technology like truck simulators etc. The idea of sitting a few guys in an office down and showing them Powerpoint slides for 7 hours is fatally flawed.

GasGas:
In many cases, the reason people seem dissatisfied with the current DCPC is because its been done on the basis of choosing he cheapest courses and not the most interesting ones.

Agree. Some courses and instructors are OK. Some are boring fools who know little/nowt.

GasGas:
In my view, the DCPC need central funding from the industry,

Good idea, but we all know how likely that is to take root when we have Govs cost cutting everywhere to slim us down in an austerity economy. The fact it would be cheaper overall for hauliers bodies, or Govs to do this is irrelevant, when “competitive” doctrines rule.

GasGas:
like truck simulators etc. The idea of sitting a few guys in an office down and showing them Powerpoint slides for 7 hours is fatally flawed.

Maybe Pierrot, Owen, Spardo or others, will tell us about the French system when drivers take real trucks (with crew cabs) on the road during their periodic training?

GasGas:
The population of London is nearly 8.8 million. In 2016, eight cyclists died in traffic accidents on the streets of London, and not all of those incidents involved trucks. So that’s a one in a million chance of death…but it still necessitates special permits or truck designs.

I’d be more inclined to complain about someone stating that a population of 8 million means there are 8 million cyclists…

As can be seen with plenty of examples in this forum and on HGV Facebook pages it is more than sorely needed as there are a lot of drivers who don’t even have a grasp of the basics of tacho rules.
[/quote]
There are a few that cannot even grasp the bloody wheel to steer correctly nowadays let alone get something a bit technical right.
Wow… I have agreed with Conor again .

Right I’m gonna chuck a spanner in here which will give some of the pro DCPC crew PMT. :smiley:
Some say that there are many drivers who do not fully understand the Driver’s hours rules and regs.
Well stop press/shock horror :open_mouth: …You don’t have to !!.. :open_mouth:
AND I’m one of them. :open_mouth: …yeh.

I do not give a flying ■■■■ about the absolute technical intracies of the cluster ■■■■ of driver hours rules, because guess what?..
I aint ■■■■ interested. :open_mouth:

I do however know the bread and butter basics which is all I ‘‘NEED’’ to know to do my job.
I never get any infringements so my point is proven and put to bed…before anyone starts. :unamused:
Guys can tie me in knots with some of this crap…but hey!.. I don’t care man. :sunglasses:

So maybe if the dcpc was harder and put into an examination format, maybe I would be one of those ‘‘clowns’’ and ‘‘tools’’ that Conor is on about, who failed it. :smiley: when it came to driver’s hours, …even though practically I have been proven many times over to be unarguably more than capable of being a bloke who drives a truck and everything that goes with it quite efficientlly thanks… :bulb:
So dcpc …shove it up yer arse. :laughing:
Oh yeh and simplify drivers hours rules. :bulb:

Roymondo:

GasGas:
The population of London is nearly 8.8 million. In 2016, eight cyclists died in traffic accidents on the streets of London, and not all of those incidents involved trucks. So that’s a one in a million chance of death…but it still necessitates special permits or truck designs.

I’d be more inclined to complain about someone stating that a population of 8 million means there are 8 million cyclists…

That’s almost a fair point… :smiley:

The fact of the matter is this, the driver cpc as it currently stands is purely a money spinner for the training companies and the DVLA. It gives a revenue to both. If it were to give proper training and become what it was designed to do then I am all for it. However it isn’t working and is farcical to us proper drivers, for the idiots now driving, unfortunately they see it as difficult and a real qualification.