Hgv class 1 fail

yourhavingalarf:
I believe…

You can appeal the examiners decision but, the court cannot change your test result. You might be awarded a free re-test if the court rules in your favour.

What is he appealing? By his own admission he didn’t check his blind spot 4 times when moving away from the side of the road, a nailed on correct result.
DVSA give out free tests if the test hasn’t been conducted correctly but just whining because the examiner has a differing opinion to the test result isn’t the same as an incorrectly conducted test. If your trainer never mentioned blind spots then that’s where your redress should be directed but somehow I reckon it was…

It’s all very simple. Dont check your blind spots and you’re playing roulette with other folk’s lives. You may get away with it for a number of years. But the odds are shortening every time you’re on the road. It’s not smart or clever to ignore the checks and treat them as “something for test”. Any good instructor will demonstrate the reason for the checks and that will help it stick.

As for adjusting the mirrors so that head movements have to be exaggerated, I had a trainee do this many years ago for his test without my knowledge. The examiner stopped him after a few minutes and suggested he might like to adjust the mirrors correctly. There is no need for any of this performance. Examiners are perfectly aware of whether a mirror has been checked or not. Very often the confusion comes when the candidate maintains they checked the mirrors - and they genuinely did. But maybe not at the correct time. And that will give the mark.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

the maoster:
In the real world no lorry driver does an over the shoulder check.

Maybe in your part of the real world you don’t - but I most certainly do. It was drilled into me early in my driving/motorbiking career and I’ve done it ever since.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Any good instructor will demonstrate the reason for the checks and that will help it stick.

Absolutely.

I have seen plenty trainees not looking where they should be after supposedly after being shown.

Jayjay1976:
He failed me on 4 times not checking my over shoulder blind spot before pulling off even though I WAS CONSTANTLY checking my blind spot mirror.

I must admit to not reading your wording correctly.

As said not checking over your shoulder at the blind spot then it’s no wonder you were failed.

I read it as not checking over your shoulder but you were doing it. Not using the blind spot mirror to do so.

I would suggest your training company haven’t done their job or you haven’t listened and learnt well enough to be ready for your test.

From the blame the examiner attitude I’d have to err on the side of you haven’t listened and learnt at a guess.

jakethesnake:

RoadHogMad:
As a bus driver myself for 18 years, check your blind spots always! Saved me a few times!!

Very easy to forget to do, I often forget! But yes be a nodding dog next time, even say it out allowed, mirror, mirror, blind spot, go!

Nice to hear of a proper driver that knows the score. :smiley:

I try to be lol.

I was asked in the pub the other day what my no. 1 pet hate is, passengers!!! Err no! other road users, passengers are thick but I can cope with them or just drive past them, one or the other.

The latest craze of thickness is being shown postcodes, i’m a bus driver not a taxi driver, where is it near where you are going, give me a land mark.

Ohh and retards going to the city centre who catch the bus on the side going out of the city centre and end up at the outer terminus, do you not go to the city centre!?

Give me strength! These people should be put on the retarded island far far away from us with a few brain cells.

^^^ I think we should have a pet hate section lol…

Mobile phone users!

Seriously should just be shot at the road side!

It may look like an eastern war zone but by Christ they’re dangerous.

Hussar:
What is he appealing?

He can appeal…

On what ever grounds he sees fit. I’m informing him of his right to appeal if he feels the examiner hasn’t treated him fairly.

I’m not telling him to appeal, only that he has a right of appeal.

A shoulder check, is a shoulder check!

If you go to test again, make sure you do your shoulder check and VERBALISE IT say when looking ‘Clear’ or ‘no ones alongside or crossing’ I did so they cannot say you didn’t complete it, but then don’t fall into the trap of looking and not seeing.

They cannot see what you can, they are looking for the check before moving off as this is the only indication that you are doing one.

Good Luck!

Roymondo:

the maoster:
In the real world no lorry driver does an over the shoulder check.

It was drilled into me early in my driving/motorbiking career and I’ve done it ever since.
Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

You understand the difference between a shoulder check and a lifesaver as I do! I was an MC Instructor, on a motorway clear day, lane 2 to 3 check mirrors, shoulder check pulled over and another ■■■■■■■ MC had been sat in my blind spot next to the Armco - didn’t see or hear him, nearly collided. Happens to all of us!

As an aside, my HGV instructor told me to adjust my mirrors for the test so that I had to make enhanced head movements to check them.

Totally this!

Also, don’t be afraid to VERBALIZE your thoughts! “Pulling off…checking mirrors left/right/blind spot, clear/whatever, going…checking mirror to move next lane, signalling…”.

What they’re looking for is that you know what you’re doing and are doing it in a safe way. Verbalizing it helps them know you know, and can help you think about what you’re doing.