Henry long transport

robert1952:

patrick 68:
What are the 2 motors on the left, don’t recognise them ■■?

Look like Fordsons to me. I’m sure someone will confirm or refute! :smiley: Robert

I know it’s 2-1/2 years late, but better late than never, I’d not looked at this post before. All 6 of those motors are Commers, the left hand 2 are Q types, the next is an N type and the three on the right are Raiders or Centaurs.
Bernard

As a recent convert to technology therefore only recently found this forum, I can hopefully shed a bit more light on at least 2 of these posts from the past:

1. The driver who mainly did Italy was Brian DOOTSON
    2)The picture of the artic being loaded with Heinz products, the person on the trailer is Geoff Smith who was one of the transport management team, the gentleman on the ground in the white coat is Harold Broxholme (think I’ve spelt it correctly) who was Heinz’s warehouse manager.

Hope this fills a few gaps.

I also have a black and white photo of AEC Mandator SKU 130J, but haven’t a clue how to put it on, if anyone is interested and can help me.

19 glorious years:
As a recent convert to technology therefore only recently found this forum, I can hopefully shed a bit more light on at least 2 of these posts from the past:

1. The driver who mainly did Italy was Brian DOOTSON
    2)The picture of the artic being loaded with Heinz products, the person on the trailer is Geoff Smith who was one of the transport management team, the gentleman on the ground in the white coat is Harold Broxholme (think I’ve spelt it correctly) who was Heinz’s warehouse manager.

Hope this fills a few gaps.

I also have a black and white photo of AEC Mandator SKU 130J, but haven’t a clue how to put it on, if anyone is interested and can help me.

Hope you get it on mate, here’s the gist of it, click Post Reply, click Upload Attachment, click Browse, click the Photo, click Add the File, click Place in Line, click Submit, good luck, Les.

19 glorious years:

19 glorious years:

Thanks for the help, have followed your procedure and hope it comes out.
The unit is SKU 130J, at that time (possibly 1972) was driven by I think Harry Smith but that’s certainly not him driving it in the photo.
If no joy let me know and I’ll try again tomorrow in better light and when I can try and flatten a slightly curled up print.

19 glorious years:

19 glorious years:

19 glorious years:

Thanks for the help, have followed your procedure and hope it comes out.
The unit is SKU 130J, at that time (possibly 1972) was driven by I think Harry Smith but that’s certainly not him driving it in the photo.
If no joy let me know and I’ll try again tomorrow in better light and when I can try and flatten a slightly curled up print.

Well it worked mate, welcome to TNUK, Les.

As said, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting the photo. New photos of old working Yorkshire lorries, especially those from the " textiles " area, are getting rarer. I have tried to tidy it up a bit, I hope you don’t mind ?

LONGS.jpg
Regards John.

Thanks muchly for the greeting John, and for tidying up the photo, something beyond my current capabilities, improvement for any interested parties to wallow in. As I stated in my first post being a VERY latecomer to technology, help and advice is really appreciated.
Regards and thanks again.

19 glorious years:
Thanks muchly for the greeting John, and for tidying up the photo, something beyond my current capabilities, improvement for any interested parties to wallow in. As I stated in my first post being a VERY latecomer to technology, help and advice is really appreciated.
Regards and thanks again.

Welcome to TNUK , thats another photo i haven’t seen before thanks for posting it. This must have been one of the last AECs Longs bought. There was a J reg Mandator on Pickersgills i wonder if this is the one. Trying to make out the driver , could it be Geoff Cowley who went on to do continental?

Thanks for the welcome message, have read through all the pages, fascinating read. Firstly being new to this forum should a member not disclose their identity, just be their user name.
Now to the photo, it was taken by a Telegraph & Argus photographer for an article in the business section about the engineering company and their large export order, hence the banner on the side of the crates, taken before I set off to the docks. I assume it to be one of the London ones with the sheets secured at the front, presumably for loading back at Heinz Harlesden. I was able to buy the photo from the T&A, kept it ever since. Please be aware that after 47 years I have kept my boyish good looks but not quite as much hair!!!
Digging through the loft I have found slides of MUB 549P at Seaforth with containers, think it was one of the 1924 Mercs (believe we only had 2 1924s, Les Beecroft had the other) If they are of interest I’ll get prints made and put them on. I also have somewhere a print taken at Transflash of Merc 2435 D341 TCP with new international trailer taken in the mid to late 1980s. If any interest I’ll spend some time putting them on when I can get the slides printed.

19 glorious years:
Thanks for the welcome message, have read through all the pages, fascinating read. Firstly being new to this forum should a member not disclose their identity, just be their user name.
Now to the photo, it was taken by a Telegraph & Argus photographer for an article in the business section about the engineering company and their large export order, hence the banner on the side of the crates, taken before I set off to the docks. I assume it to be one of the London ones with the sheets secured at the front, presumably for loading back at Heinz Harlesden. I was able to buy the photo from the T&A, kept it ever since. Please be aware that after 47 years I have kept my boyish good looks but not quite as much hair!!!
Digging through the loft I have found slides of MUB 549P at Seaforth with containers, think it was one of the 1924 Mercs (believe we only had 2 1924s, Les Beecroft had the other) If they are of interest I’ll get prints made and put them on. I also have somewhere a print taken at Transflash of Merc 2435 D341 TCP with new international trailer taken in the mid to late 1980s. If any interest I’ll spend some time putting them on when I can get the slides printed.

I`ve been trying to find a photo of my dads old AEC Mammoth Major he had at Longs . I think they had 3 MKVs I have photos of the other 2

That’s some task you’ve set yourself, shame we didn’t have smart phones then! Hope one surfaces.
Apart from the bought Mandator photo, the only ones I took myself were from the Mercedes era.

I`ve just found this in the latest Classic and Vintage Commercials , can anyone clean it up ?

A young Mr Leake at Transflash in Bradford by the looks of it

IMG_0754.jpg

photo of FB, nmp. Les.

henry long 10.jpg

At least 5 old Longs drivers here , outside the Thornton Club I think on a Sunday afternoon many years ago

Just had a message this morning Eddie Robinson past away last night.

YOUNGDAVE:

Long time since I worked with Eddie, thanks for posting Dave, RIP Eddie, Les.

les-p:

YOUNGDAVE:

Long time since I worked with Eddie, thanks for posting Dave, RIP Eddie, Les.

Sad news indeed R.I.P Eddie

sorry to hear about eddie, worked with him for years, r.i.p. old pal