Henley transport

A bit of a late post this one, but that is the magic of t’t interweb - things hang around for ages. Do I remember Henley’s? You bet - I drove for them part time back in the 90’s. My username unfortunately gives the game away - I gave up driving for the sake of the day job that paid well over three times the money for well under one third of the fun (and hard work…).

I was very grateful to Henley’s for giving me a chance. This was back in the good old days before recessions, over-regulation and CPC. I got my licence after doing a ten day course just for a bit of an alternative holiday. Henley’s was just up the road from me, so I wrote asking if they had any weekend work for a complete newbie and was very surprised when they said yes. I do miss my Sunday runs to Aylesford and Charlton, but I don’t miss the crack of dawn starts.

Given the new CPC requirement, I doubt I will ever be able to get back in the saddle as a casual driver (but I’m open to offers!). Which is probably a good thing; my lack of experience over the last 15 or so years would probably make me a bit of a liability. I do miss it something rotten though… I now own a Toyota Hilux, the biggest vehicle I can afford to run (fantastic in the snow though!)

For those that care about these things, I loved the old Eaton twin-split in the ERF E14s and MANs I drove, once I got used to changing at its speed and not mine (the curse of the thousand neutrals upon anyone who broke that rule!) It was very relaxing once you got going doing all the work with the thumb.

Happy days…

Given up:
A bit of a late post this one, but that is the magic of t’t interweb - things hang around for ages. Do I remember Henley’s? You bet - I drove for them part time back in the 90’s. My username unfortunately gives the game away - I gave up driving for the sake of the day job that paid well over three times the money for well under one third of the fun (and hard work…).

I was very grateful to Henley’s for giving me a chance. This was back in the good old days before recessions, over-regulation and CPC. I got my licence after doing a ten day course just for a bit of an alternative holiday. Henley’s was just up the road from me, so I wrote asking if they had any weekend work for a complete newbie and was very surprised when they said yes. I do miss my Sunday runs to Aylesford and Charlton, but I don’t miss the crack of dawn starts.

Given the new CPC requirement, I doubt I will ever be able to get back in the saddle as a casual driver (but I’m open to offers!). Which is probably a good thing; my lack of experience over the last 15 or so years would probably make me a bit of a liability. I do miss it something rotten though… I now own a Toyota Hilux, the biggest vehicle I can afford to run (fantastic in the snow though!)

For those that care about these things, I loved the old Eaton twin-split in the ERF E14s and MANs I drove, once I got used to changing at its speed and not mine (the curse of the thousand neutrals upon anyone who broke that rule!) It was very relaxing once you got going doing all the work with the thumb.

Happy days…

Yea Givenup I knew Jack Henley he owned one half of Kent and his wife owned the other half I also knew his manager Roy Hook who was a very decent bloke they sold out to WRM same as me – What a [zb] disaster but that is water under the bridge now Cheers Bewick.

Hi Given Up. I work with some ex Henley drivers, can you remember any names from when you where on there?

Mark R:
Hi Given Up. I work with some ex Henley drivers, can you remember any names from when you where on there?

Hi Mark R. As a weekender I did not get to know the names of many of the other drivers. Being a long time ago and having a pathetic memory for names doesn’t help either! However, I do remember two of the guys. Tom Semple had the misfortune of having to show me the ropes for a couple of days - a great guy with admirable patience! George Waghorn (I think his name was George) made an effort to say hi and help me out with such things as directions (these were pre-satnav and internet days) for which I was very grateful.

I forgot to mention another interesting coincidence. I sometimes play in the East Grinstead Concert Band. It just so happens that the chairman, David Holland, used to be the ERF salesman who sold Jack most of his wagons. It’s a small world…

Hi, I have recently been pointed to this forum by my sister, due to some pics that have appeared on here, that have a personal interest to me as i will explain… here goes :smiley:

Neville, the name certainly rings a bell :smiley: Maybe you remember my father, Gordon Field, I agree, intervention was licence to print cash, open the cold store door, fill cold store to roof, lock cold store door, check temp every day, unlock in 5 yrs LOL.
I remember on one trip with my dad (before i started working for Alan) coming into Zeebrugge and being waved around all the queue’s and straight onto the boat… it left 15 mins late coz it was waiting for us… but we did not know :smiley:.
I remember Les, sad day when he died suddenly in front of the trucks in Krefeld.
I always remember my first meeting with Alan, i had not long passed my Class 1 and wanted a job with my dads firm. alan told my dad, ‘take him with you for a trip, if he can do the paperwork he can have a job’… one week later (after throwing a sickie to go :blush: ) there started my intro into continental fridge work. :smiley: :smiley:

Mark R, where did you get the photo of F433 HKE, not only was this my fathers truck, we (my sis & i ) believe its him driving and me in the passenger seat, and i would give anything to get my hands on this photo, as i have very few pics of my father ( who sadly died of Cancer in 2007 ) and am grateful of any thing that will increase my collection. :smiley: . Also i joined Lowes in 70’s ( too old to remember when :slight_smile: ) WKO 712 X was my truck ( it may even be me driving in the pic ) until it met its death just outside Ghent, due to lack of oil in the diff, and again would love to get my hands on this pic (or a copy).

Ringrose, Jees this brings back memories, we used to all meet up in the yard at about 2pm on a Sunday afternoon and make a run for Dover, coming through Maidstone & Bearsted and down A20 (M20 wasn’t done then) in one long chain, it used to turn many a head as we came through the town LOL .
When i joined, Alan gave me one of the 2 remaining 4 wheeler C-Series, as i have said the first one died in Ghent, the other met its death some time later when, thanks to coming round the M25 ‘on full song’, coz i was shipping out that night, had misfortune of jacknifing just after M11 junction c/wise and piling it down the embankment… that put paid to me shipping out :cry:
I believe the company still exists, as they still own the huge coldstore that now sit at one end of the yard. I think the company is now split between Richard, Stephen & Abbie.
Alans last purchase was in fact a single ‘one off’ E16 which my father piloted. The only way you could tell it from the E10’s was the badge on the grille :smiley: and the fact that while you were struggling up a hill he would come bowling past you fully freighted with a big grin and a wave :smiley:

Wow, what a wake up call for me. Hope you are able to help with the photos Mark, as you can appreciate, they mean a lot to me :wink:

Sorry for going on :blush:

Hi Steve. Glad the photos brought back some good memmories for you, i have more Lowes photos somewhere, will send you a PM.
Rgds Mark.