Henley transport co ltd remember them?

Had a catch up with Derek Ransley my old boss when I started in the traffic office.
Haven’t seen him for just over 30 years.
WS lucky enough to come away with this superb model.

The model is correct, some of those trailers Henleys had when 38t first came out were decidedly odd. Did Jack back the wrong horse over 6x2 unit or tri axle trailer?

cav551:
The model is correct, some of those trailers Henleys had when 38t first came out were decidedly odd. Did Jack back the wrong horse over 6x2 unit or tri axle trailer?

The trailer axles on the model were set too far back.
As far as 38t was concerned the last 6 new tractor units were converted to 6x2 all new units after that came home as 6x2.
Even though there was a couple of triaxle trailers purchased these would go behind 4x2 units.
No trailers were converted from tandem to triaxle.
So for a while we ran 38t 4x2 units with triaxle trailers and 6x2 units with tandem axle trailers.
Then with the vehicle taxation costs the company standardised on 6x2 units with triaxle rear steer fridge vans.

sandway:
Three photos courtesy of Ashleigh Pike. Hope they haven’t been posted on here before.

Bottom pic of the MAN must have been taken outside the refurbished dear old Venture Cafe on the old A20 near Astrans yard. Great grub.

ERF-NGC-European:

Does anyone know if Henley’s were the first to operate an Insuliner?

Camion Stew:

ERF-NGC-European:

Does anyone know if Henley’s were the first to operate an Insuliner?

If I was to ask Jack Henley he would say yes but he was definitely in the first 5.
We had several prototypes on trial from Boalloy.
Remember it’s only an insulin if manufactured by Boalloy there were a lot of cheap imitations about as well.

Re the above posts ^^^: here is a little selection of Insuliners (or look-alikes) I hauled in the Faversham area during the 1983-88 period. Some good old names there! The tomato trailer with no name belonged to Francis Davies; the Scanny 80 belonged to Colin Bolton (RIP); the Transcon belonged to Robin Phelps; the Guy Big-J was the yard shunter at A&RJ Woods in Teynham. Ro

> ERF-NGC-European:
> Re the above posts ^^^: here is a little selection of Insuliners (or look-alikes) I hauled in the Faversham area during the 1983-88 period. Some good old names there! The tomato trailer with no name belonged to Francis Davies; the Scanny 80 belonged to Colin Bolton (RIP); the Transcon belonged to Robin Phelps; the Guy Big-J was the yard shunter at A&RJ Woods in Teynham. Ro
>
>
> > [/i]
> >
> > Thanks for those Ro, clever concepts always attract plagiarism. I was over for a long overdue family visit recently and it was good to see a smart Harrier Express Globetrotter making its way from Headcorn, glad they’re still going. Robin Phelps sounds familiar, was he a Maidstone area chap?

Camion Stew:
> ERF-NGC-European:
> Re the above posts ^^^: here is a little selection of Insuliners (or look-alikes) I hauled in the Faversham area during the 1983-88 period. Some good old names there! The tomato trailer with no name belonged to Francis Davies; the Scanny 80 belonged to Colin Bolton (RIP); the Transcon belonged to Robin Phelps; the Guy Big-J was the yard shunter at A&RJ Woods in Teynham. Ro
>
>
> > [/i]
> >
> > Thanks for those Ro, clever concepts always attract plagiarism. I was over for a long overdue family visit recently and it was good to see a smart Harrier Express Globetrotter making its way from Headcorn, glad they’re still going. Robin Phelps sounds familiar, was he a Maidstone area chap?
[/quote]
Closer to Faversham I think. I didn’t know him, but he used to loan that Transcon to Colin Bolton and I got it drive it sometimes - a treat because it had a 350 ■■■■■■■ in it (whereas Colin’s had a 290. Both had 9-sp Fullers).

My collection of Henley Transport Co Ltd models.
The ERFs were commissioned by Jack Henley 50 or 60 at a time to give out to customers.

lawrence2765:
11My collection of Henley Transport Co Ltd models.
The ERFs were commissioned by Jack Henley 50 or 60 at a time to give out to customers.

They are very nice especially the one on the plinth.

Kempston:

lawrence2765:

Believe it or not but the E14 in the middle is badly damaged!

lawrence2765:

Kempston:

lawrence2765:

They look to be Alan Smith kits in 1:48 scale.

ERF-NGC-European:

lawrence2765:

Kempston:

lawrence2765:

They look to be Alan Smith kits in 1:48 scale.

That’s is correct

Couple of photos from the web I haven’t seen before.

Screenshot 2022-01-03 at 08.03.03.png

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 18.40.57.png

ERF-NGC-European:

Camion Stew:
> ERF-NGC-European:
>
>
> > [/i]
> >
[/quote]
Closer to Faversham I think. I didn’t know him, but he used to loan that Transcon to Colin Bolton and I got it drive it sometimes - a treat because it had a 350 ■■■■■■■ in it (whereas Colin’s had a 290. Both had 9-sp Fullers).
[/quote]
Robin Phelps was from Faversham - he had 2 or 3 trucks for a few years pulling for TMC out of Ramsgate, then he and his son Robert worked together running to Romania.
After he sold up, he & Robert both worked for Clan International in Dover while I was an owner driver subbing to Clan. Both Robin & Robert were great ‘old school’ guys, and a pleasure to work with.
Some great pics there Ro- I drove both of the Harrier Express motors in my time, and possibly pulled quite a few of the trailers. Also, Colin Bolton ended up in the workshop where I served my apprenticeship- on ’ High Street, Waterham.
Happy New Year everyone,
Keith

Man 22.322 F530 GKL and Boalloy Insuliner on a Pacton chassis

Life after Henley Transport.
This ERF unit powered by 265 Gardner engine went to a haulier up in the Leicester area.
CKN 400Y was based at Paddock Wood and used on trunking duties with out Rochdale depot where it would change over with an identical unit each night CKN 410Y.
It always seems strange seeing the ex Henley vehicles without the traditional Henley bull bar that so many others copied.