Henley transport co ltd remember them?

Has Jack sold his personal collection then?

Leyland600:
Hi Lawrence, I found this photo of RKJ 160 M with live stock container in a rather sorry state. I have no idea whose photo it is however and apologise if it infringes copyright. Also photos taken when I went to view the lorry at Spelmondham and its subsequent journey north to ■■■■■■■■ in 2005.
All the best for 2016, Leyland 600.

I just bet that was a nostalgic trip down to Kent and back Gerald ! were you accompanied by RWB ? I guess all the crack would have been about Traders, Beavers, Comets, Reivers and, of course, Fodens ( if you could get a word in edge ways about Fodens eh!) Anyhow All the best for the New Year Dennis.

cav551:
Has Jack sold his personal collection then?

Morning cav551, I doubt very much Jack has sold off any of his old photos,they somehow have seen to have got into the wrong hands.
I rememer someone telling me they purchased a photo of the AECs lined up at Spelmonden from someone in holland.
I was very lucky aboutv3 years ago Jack let me borrow his personal collection (I was under very strict instructions to take good care of them) for which wasn’t that large a collection anyway I used to produce a picture book (with captions) of the lorries from when the company started up right through to the end.

Leyland600:
Hi Lawrence, I found this photo of RKJ 160 M with live stock container in a rather sorry state. I have no idea whose photo it is however and apologise if it infringes copyright. Also photos taken when I went to view the lorry at Spelmondham and its subsequent journey north to ■■■■■■■■ in 2005.
All the best for 2016, Leyland 600.

Morning Leyland 600all the best to you for 2016, looking at the photos of 160M am I right in saying you purchaed it from Brian Henley in 2005?

The 1999 picture shows it in a very poor state,was it sold at the auction or not in1999 ,if not did Brian get it painted up before I assume you got it in2005?
Regards Chris Lawrence.

image.jpg
From Truck Aug 81

Some more photos on e-bay today including this one.
The square British Leyland Badge dates the cab to a J,K, or L reg. Shame it’s lost its number plate.

tyreman:
Some more photos on e-bay today including this one.
The square British Leyland Badge dates the cab to a J,K, or L reg. Shame it’s lost its number plate.

That was the old workshop shunt motor at Spelmonden,I wonder what happened to it?

Another picture from last weeks batch on e-bay. I haven’t seen a picture of EKO798T before. Between 1975 and 1980 normal registration numbers were obtained because I believe the LVLO at Maidstone wouldn’t reserve specific numbers during this period. EKO798T has been fitted with front corner wind deflectors, where TKR540X hasn’t. Where these had been fitted the fleet number was moved to the white band, its a pity that of EKO798T is not seen.
Until I read the book on ERF B’s, C’s E’s and EC’s I didn’t know that there was a mark 2 version of the B Series cab. Both of these ERF’s carry the mark 2 version.

tyreman:
Another picture from last weeks batch on e-bay. I haven’t seen a picture of EKO798T before. Between 1975 and 1980 normal registration numbers were obtained because I believe the LVLO at Maidstone wouldn’t reserve specific numbers during this period. EKO798T has been fitted with front corner wind deflectors, where TKR540X hasn’t. Where these had been fitted the fleet number was moved to the white band, its a pity that of EKO798T is not seen.
Until I read the book on ERF B’s, C’s E’s and EC’s I didn’t know that there was a mark 2 version of the B Series cab. Both of these ERF’s carry the mark 2 version.

EKO 798T was originally new to the Rochdale depot ,but in later years joined the Paddovk Wood fleet when about 6 years old.
The front corner wind deflectors were fitted to quite a lot of the vehicles the first 3 MAN units had them along with a few of the Seddon Atkinson 401S and quite a few of the ERF B series and also some of the ERF C series.
After having a trawl through my two Henley photo albums its quite interesting that the wind deflectors were fitted after the vehicles had been on the road a while as i have several hotos of brand new units without them then later on in life they appear with them.

Four ERF EC14’ tractor units joined the fleet at the beginning of 1994, with two rigid EC8’s later in the year. The units were all in white Mack livery. L810EKE survived into Coolchain ownership and was sold in 1999. It is pictured here coupled to a Gray & Adams trailer.

GKR 310Y in the midlands doing a change over with one of the Rochdale lads.

Have only just found this forum, a bit late to the party I know!
I worked for Henley (twice) in the late 80’s early 90’s starting on the 7.5 ton Cargo and progressing when i was 21, via a 17 ton Freighter (G867REG) to class one work doing the night markets and general deliveries. Seeing some of the names bring back memories of some great guys and real characters. I can remember all the vehicles I had allocated to me, G630OKO from new, G867REG, my first unit was F410, them on to C200 VDO when freshly repainted then M83NKO.

Cortina:
I worked for Henley (twice) in the late 80’s early 90’s starting on the 7.5 ton Cargo and progressing when i was 21, via a 17 ton Freighter (G867REG) to class one work doing the night markets and general deliveries. Seeing some of the names bring back memories of some great guys and real characters. I can remember all the vehicles I had allocated to me, G630OKO from new, G867REG, my first unit was F410, them on to C200 VDO when freshly repainted then M83NKO.

Glad you have found it Ian please feel free to post any pictures you have of Henley Transport but please none of the 3 lettered mob who screwed it up.
Good luck Chris ps will pm you later

W H Gatward stand at the Kent County Show in 1977 OKP 731R on display.

Cortina:

Hi cortina , F410 CKR ? Is still alive n kicking .

And so is F40 CKR its sister

Two MAN units C420 VDO driven by Derek Wells and D160 NKP driven by Richard Harris at the time parked up in france whilst doing another round trip out to spain.
The return load would have been either citrus fruit or Spanish strawberries , a bit like taking coal to Newcastle for us Kent lads.
Sadly both these drivers are no longer with us but a real joy to have worked and to know these two very good men.

ISTR that it was Derek Wells who said that with a load of oranges behind an 8LXB ERF or S/A it was something like all morning before he got out of low range on the way home. Probably a bit of artistic licence there, but I wouldn’t know.

Found this on e-bay tonight.
Nice line up of ERF’s and an Atki for good luck.
NKN43P, WKO72S, what looks like CKN400Y, and an unidentified B Series, and a Borderer

Apologies if this has already been posted ,have a look at 3 mins 50 .m.youtube.com/watch?v=bow0CP6MgHM