Help with windows

Try win 10 before going back to 7

I used to run my own computer building and repair business and although Linux is an excellent operating system you need to be a bit geeky to set it up in the first place.
W10 is much better and easier to use than W8 and I would recommend using AVG antivirus (the free version is perfectly adequate) as Defender doesn’t seem keen enough and has let bad boys in.
If you use W10 watch this video and follow the steps to turn off Microsoft’s information harvesting trammel:
youtube.com/watch?v=rczgCmo … ture=share

Had a Dell desktop(2008) Vista, then XP and finally running Windows 7, couple of warnings hard disk was failing, cloned it to new hard disk and upgraded to Widows 10(free Microsoft promotion).
Bought a new HP desktop with SSD cache disk and 3TB main disk about a year ago, came with Windows 8.1 and free upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 10 comes with the Edge browser which I use alongside Internet Explorer(preferred), all running smothjly no probs so far. Security is paid for AVG Internet Security and Malwarebytes, I’ve tried different free ones over the years with problems. As stevecook mentions with W10, Microsoft want to collect a lot of browsing etc info, this can be stopped by going to Settings and exercising control over this. AVG Free is that for a reason see herehttp://www.avg.com/gb-en/privacy, wouldn’t touch it :smiling_imp: I also have CCleaner and occasionally use AdwCleaner(download from Softpedia) which is extremely efficient at rooting out the really bad stuff.
With a KVM switch box, I now run the old and new PCs to one monitor.
Oily

I can’t believe the info all you chaps have given me. I now feel confident enough to make an informed decision. All I need now is the time!

I find the new double glazed are far warmer than the single glazed of old…listen to you old gadgys talkin technology,imagine havin this conversation in a transport café 50 year ago. :laughing:

50 years ago we were arguing over whether it was better to use Fairy Liquid or Turtle Wax on the cab, or should we take the Elephant & Castle route or the “straight” through the middle" when doing London Docks.

Retired Old ■■■■:
50 years ago we were arguing over whether it was better to use Fairy Liquid or Turtle Wax on the cab, or should we take the Elephant & Castle route or the “straight” through the middle" when doing London Docks.

Fairy liquid best, then when the bottle’s empty you can fill it with water, lean out of the window and use it on the screen as you haven’t got screenwashers yet!
And you can nick a couple of squirts when 'er indoors isn’t looking, Turtle Wax has to be paid for.
Bernard

albion1938:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Fairy liquid best, then when the bottle’s empty you can fill it with water, lean out of the window and use it on the screen as you haven’t got screenwashers yet!
And you can nick a couple of squirts when 'er indoors isn’t looking, Turtle Wax has to be paid for.
Bernard

I used to do that antifreeze! It didn’t matter that it rotted the rubbers and spoiled the paintwork when you were running round in £30 old bangers. :laughing: Robert

I still remember the feeling of the Fairy Liquid bottle squirt being blown straight back up the sleeve! :angry: