Help please

Sounds like a troll to me ,what exact is wrong with this foden ? What age is it ? Fodens haven’t made a gearbox for decades .

That occurred to me too Dan, but you never know.

Franglais:

Roymondo:
Talk of unfair dismissal, constructive dismissal and employment tribunals is pretty much irrelevant as he’s only been there a few months…

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Fair comment.
Sad but true.

Not quite true, wrongful dismissal is applicable after just 4 weeks. That covers being dismissed without a proper investigation…information gained directly from ACAS.

At the very least it ensures you get a full weeks pay if your sacked on the spot!

manicpb:

Franglais:

Roymondo:
Talk of unfair dismissal, constructive dismissal and employment tribunals is pretty much irrelevant as he’s only been there a few months…

Fair comment.
Sad but true.

Not quite true, wrongful dismissal is applicable after just 4 weeks. That covers being dismissed without a proper investigation…information gained directly from ACAS.

At the very least it ensures you get a full weeks pay if your sacked on the spot!

I was specifically talking about unfair and/or constructive dismissal and tribunals, not wrongful dismissal (they are not the same things).

I don’t know whereabouts on the ACAS website it says that being dismissed without a proper investigation amounts to wrongful dismissal, but on their pages dealing with dismissal it quite clearly states that this would probably be unfair dismissal - which would normally require that you be employed for at least two years before you could take it to a tribunal.

This is hardly likely to have a Foden gearbox in it, we would be talking about a vehicle from the late 1980s. If one from that era was still in service it would be a ‘pet’ with only certain people allowed to drive it. Windrush or Punchy Dan will be able to put a year to the last Foden made with the “12” speed box.

cav551:
This is hardly likely to have a Foden gearbox in it, we would be talking about a vehicle from the late 1980s. If one from that era was still in service it would be a ‘pet’ with only certain people allowed to drive it. Windrush or Punchy Dan will be able to put a year to the last Foden made with the “12” speed box.

Dan isn’t old enough to remember Foden gearboxes, and while I am, thankfully I never had to drive one.
I would have thought late seventies would be about as late as they were still fitting them.

Old John:

cav551:

Dan isn’t old enough to remember Foden gearboxes, and while I am, thankfully I never had to drive one.
I would have thought late seventies would be about as late as they were still fitting them.

That’s right but old road legends like windy who are in their 80s will be in the know :laughing:

hi lads
we had 6 s80 fodens with there own gear box in our yard cant remember the year but they were all on M plates with gardner engine, ok when you got to them.

Punchy Dan:
Sounds like a troll to me ,what exact is wrong with this foden ? What age is it ? Fodens haven’t made a gearbox for decades .

Not a troll mate just a ■■■■ job. Think the correct name of the box is the eaton? Its a 12 speed 1234 5th split and so on.

Sent from my PAR-TL20 using Tapatalk

Last Foden i drove with their own 12 speed was an S80, i drove a haulmaster tipper for a while but can’t for the life of me remember which box it had.
Range change was on the gearlever by S40 and S80, think the last one i drove with the range shifter on the steering colum was an S39.

Old John:

Deffo early 80’s in the S85 at least.It was a nice box to use along the lines of a Brit 13 speed Fuller it just needed a bit more thought regarding its weird shift pattern.No problem really.
I’ll volunteer to take the Foden it was guess work then sorting it out so no different with the long term amnesia. :smiley:

I never knew Foden made their own boxes, you learn something new every day.
Here’s me thinking I’d used every mainstream box there was…seems like I’m an amateur after all. :smiley:
Only Foden I drove one night was the last DAF cabbed type, think it had a ZF in it, but can’t remember as it was about 12 years ago.

O/p if it’s as bad as what you say it is, you’ll sure as hell find something to VOR it when you do your checks.

I was last in charge of a Foden with it’s 12 speed in about 68/69. Not sure of the mark but with the single screen and a 180 Gardener and the split screen with a 240. I’m only 73 by the way… just a young whipper snapper.

Punchy Dan:

Foden never made one anyhow Dan, from my recollection. They were off the shelf ones.

Ken.

Juddian:
Last Foden i drove with their own 12 speed was an S80, i drove a haulmaster tipper for a while but can’t for the life of me remember which box it had.
Range change was on the gearlever by S40 and S80, think the last one i drove with the range shifter on the steering colum was an S39.

high juddian
as you say the range change was on the gear lever on our S80s a big hook of a lever,the 3 color
codes used to wear off with use,this caused problems for drivers who were not up to speed with
the box,
regards sm1
ps happy days then :smiley: :smiley:

snowman1:

Juddian:

high juddian
as you say the range change was on the gear lever on our S80s a big hook of a lever,the 3 color
codes used to wear off with use,this caused problems for drivers who were not up to speed with
the box,
regards sm1
ps happy days then :smiley: :smiley:

Don’t remember them being colour coded, but then any i got to drive in those days had been to the moon and back, the interior only being clean when it left the factory :smiling_imp:
My first artic was a Foden, training? wassat :laughing: , so like everyone else in those days you found some sort of a gear and got it out the gate and near enough out of earshot (fortunately not the two stroke or the other end of town it could still be heard howling away) and then played a tune on the box .

Quinny:

Punchy Dan:

Foden never made one anyhow Dan, from my recollection. They were off the shelf ones.

Ken.

Ey ?

Quick update, i bit the bullet and drove the foden, learnt the box etc, then when i was out on the road hazard lights stopped working so took it back. Not worked since. Boss says tomorrow your out in foden again i said not if the hazard haven’t been fixed he’s like what do your refusing? I said its my license and its unroadworthy. Boss closes roller shutter door in my face and i go home. Jesus this shoddy outfit are a joke, can’t wait pass my ADR and leave.

Sent from my PAR-TL20 using Tapatalk

You’ve got to know how to treat these types mate.
Ok I accept it’s a crap firm, but presumably you’ve looked for work since your o/p and there is nothing, so you either jack and be out of work over Christmas (not good) , or you stay for time being, and meet every problem as it comes.

You should NOT have gave him an ultimatum without knowing if this truck had faults, I ain’t sure of the legality of taking a motor out with no hazards, I would think it would be ok and presumably still legal (I said ‘ok’ not ideal) if I’m wrong, I’m sure one of the non real world theory purists on here will correct me and give me some grief :unamused:.

Turn up for work, do your daily checks,.and if all ok crack on…we’ve all driven crapheaps before, stick with it.

If there are defects, if major, refuse to take it out, but ONLY after they won’t repair it.
If minor, make your own mind up, but still write out a defect, if they wont repair depending on how minor it is take it, write on your defect note ‘Reported and told to carry on’ if the fitter will sign that even better, but I doubt it.

Hazards?..like I say I ain’t sure, personally I would take it out (as long as indicators worked individually) , but I’m old fashioned ‘real world’ old school, some on here will get all pre.menstrual, and call me a criminal. :laughing:
Just do things correct and legal, as you can, don’t wind him up, and give him enough rope to hang himself.
At same time keep looking for another job, have you tried agencies?..they are usually busy around now.

I really don’t know which is worse, a cowboy outfit, or an up their own arse modern logistics outfit, who are micro managed compliance nazis…both at each end of the crap firm spectrum. :unamused:

Hazard lights not working is considered a defect which the driver should have noticed on his walk around check. In the rare event of being stopped at a roadside check it is almost inconceivable that these would not be checked.The operator will be issued with a delayed prohibition and the driver a £50 fine without endorsement. A signed and properly completed walk around check sheet showing that all was OK when taking over the vehicle for the day may influence the driver’s culpability. Later investigation turning up an earlier unrectified dated defect sheet for this item not working would be a much more serious matter.

This is a relatively simple and inexpensive fix even taking into account the age of the vehicle.