Help please - off road driving question

:confused: If your depot or the landfill have an axle wiegher it may be worth getting on it when at full weight and seeing what weight is being applied to the drive and mini axles. If you compare them to the plate it could be that the suspension is not set properly :unamused:
Then take a few minutes to try the different configurations listed above and see which one puts the most weight on the drives :smiley: :wink:

5 minutes experimentation could indicate a possible fault and save hours of being towed and miles of tyre wear :smiley: :wink:

Big Joe:
Have you both got identical trailers,

Yep absolutly identical

Big Joe:
also if he can lift his axle clear of the ground he’s got more of an advantage.

Yeah thats what i thought too

Big Joe:
When your trailer is being loaded, try to get more weight at the front.

Not a chance The loader evenly distributes the load in the trailer his only objective is to keep his part of the building clear as theres dustcarts tipping in there throughout the day. Basically me and other driver run geosynchronously he’s at the landfill while im at the recycling centre we pass each other about half way if things are going right. And besides that we could be getting into axle overloading territory then too

Big Joe:
As Dennis says, lift the rear suspension on the unit, and if you can, dump the air from the trailer so that it rides on the rear axle moving more weight to the unit.

Think i’ll try the raising to full air along with coffeeholics suggestion of the opposite as in if i try both one way may work. Non adjustable air on the trailer so i cant try that one (although to me that sounds like you got it the wrong way round if you lower the back wouldnt that pivot the weight toward the back not the front?)

Big Joe:
6x2 artic units are crap at off road work, especially midlifts. Anything with double drive will run rings round 2wd.

Agreed thats why i cant wait till we get these 6 x 4’s

mikermhh:
You can also try pressing the ASR switch (centre panel on dash) this will stop the engine management cutting so much power when it detects wheelspin, it sometimes helps to keep the momentum up!

Hasn’t got it (iirc)

Coffeeholic:

Denis F:
if you got air suspension, try lifting the mid axle and pumping more air into the drive axle

I’ve always found the exact opposite in that dumping the air from the drive axle give more traction in slippery conditions. :question: :question: :question:

As i said will try both

MrReliable:
when you start spinning you should stop and let the dozer pull you up.The ■■■■■■■■ and tyre combination will make you popular with Vosa and the tyre company :laughing:

Not to mention my new boss :blush:

mikermhh:
When you say you dump the air from drive axle do you actually get the remote control and press the down arrow to dump all the air out of suspension?

That is exactly what the other driver suggested i do maybe theres something in that after all

mikermhh:
If however you are pressing the weight transfer button on dash (two wheels and a curved arrow pointing from one wheel to the other) this dumps the air from centre axle putting more weight on drive axle and does give more grip.

Ive been doing this and it does help but it doesnt seem to last long enough

Big Truck:
Take your Daf CF to the nearest DAF dealer and go and look for the “laptop” Jockey,this is the guy who can plug in the workshop laptop and 10 mins later if you speak to him nicely he will have your mid-lift lifting loaded or not :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :sunglasses:
Your mates CF has obviously had this “jig” done already.

Not my call mate but you maybe onto something there

montana man:
:shock: You may also want to look where your 5th wheel is in relation to his as this may affect the amount of weight being put onto the drives (possibly related to the “wee wheels” not lifting) :smiley:

Good call mm will check that out

montana man:
As for the “gun it” vs the “torque it” up the hill thing it’s really horses for courses and both can have differing degrees of success. Hey you’ve got a dozer there to tug you up so try shifting one more gear and “lug” it up. As previously said knock the traction control off so the ECU doesn’t drop the power at the slightest hint of wheelspin

Thing is the dozer cant come down the access “lane” coz his shiney metal spikey wheels would destroy it

I think thats why everyone gunho guns it up the access lane (but only i seem to fail just shy of the top :frowning: )

montana man:
On a 6 x 2 using the weight transfer switch “should” take wieght of the center axle onto the rear by over inflating the drive axle air suspension :open_mouth:
However most of them reset after a short period or when the truck reaches a certain speed so you will need to keep it pressed all the way up :blush: (check the manual). This is primaraly designed to help when setting off in slippy conditions and not be relied upon as a full time traction aid :cry:

Yep

montana man:
With a 4 x 2 however the opposite applies i.e. lowering the drive axle to increase traction so if you can gat the mid lift to stay up try lowering the drives a bit as you are now effectivley in 4 x 2 territory :laughing: :sunglasses: :wink:

If i can i will (but i cant see me getting the mid to stay up)

montana man:
:? If your depot or the landfill have an axle wiegher it may be worth getting on it when at full weight and seeing what weight is being applied to the drive and mini axles. If you compare them to the plate it could be that the suspension is not set properly :unamused:
Then take a few minutes to try the different configurations listed above and see which one puts the most weight on the drives :smiley: :wink:

5 minutes experimentation could indicate a possible fault and save hours of being towed and miles of tyre wear :smiley: :wink:

Nope full size weighbridges at either end

Why not ask if you can swap motors for one round trip. See if he fails and you succeed.

8wheels:

the 8 wheelers going up and down the banks in the mucky bits

Most 8 wheelers are double drive, only a few are 8x2. A nice heavy bogie with 8 wheels for traction.

Wheras yours has got all the weight at the front and what looks like a lightweight body.

I know mine is pretty useless off-road…it’s just about ok on a reasonable building site.

I was more interested in the tecniques involved in proper off road driving.

8wheels:
Why not ask if you can swap motors for one round trip. See if he fails and you succeed.

Good idea. Reef, stick some money on it to make it interesting as well. :smiley: :smiley:

Andyroo:

Yep, But i gotta say most of the tips given will definitely be tried out. Keep em coming :smiley:

Another thing to remember when “spinning/bouncing” in a loaded 6x2 is to be very careful or you will need to have a ready supply of axle half-shafts :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush:

Andyroo:

well there are members on here who offroad with landrovers - they’ll probably be along later :wink:

Try using the torque rather than floorboard theory .In any off road situation you really don’t want any of the wheels to start spinning , as you have found you start digging and you have lost all your traction .Going too fast is the cause of this , the wheels are travelling too fast for the surface so they give up gripping and just start slipping .
As already mentioned too much spinning and bouncing and you will bust a halfshaft and could even blow the diff up .
How do you think it would feel if you tried 4th gear , the higher gear would give you a wider range of throttle to play with .

Reef:
(and please if you’ve no knowledge of and have never offroaded do us both a favour and save yourself the time and energy by not responding :wink: )

I will anyway, something i found that works is swearing and cursing, the truck, the job sight, your boss, i’ve even been so stuck i had to curse all the way back to my mother for bringing me into this world :angry: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Charles

I will anyway, something i found that works is swearing and cursing, the truck, the job sight, your boss, i’ve even been so stuck i had to curse all the way back to my mother for bringing me into this world

Coupled with a good smack it usually fixes computers, printers etc.

Mud terrains and a low range box :wink: