Help Axle weights

Since you are vaguely thinking of chassis alterations, which I get the idea is something you like doing, then if you really, really don’t want to fit super singles on the front you could try shifting some chassis weight, fuel tank if heavy enough and possibly the hydraulic oil tank, to behind axle 3. If its design weight allows you could then investigate the possibilty of uprating axle 3 to 8 tonnes however that may involve the super singles you don’t want. But to do this you need to know how much weight you are transferring and the location of the current and proposed sites. The actual individual weights for the unladen bogie would also be a good idea. That is obviously a lot of work compared to the 30 minutes for swapping the front wheels.

A potential problem was discussed on TNet about a year ago. A 6x2 rigid was overbraking on axle 3. This was eventually traced to a fault with the axle 2 airbag pressure sensor. A fault with this will throw all theoretical calculations out of the window since the bogie weight will not be split as the manufacturer intended. You need to know whether this split is a straight line percentage progression from unladen to plated, or whether axle 3 only alters at set points for axle 2. ie does axle 3 stay at say 3 tonnes, and not alter, while axle 2 varies from say 7t to 9t, and only when 9t is reached does axle 3 carry more weight?

That Fodens looking a beaut Dan really nice to see a ‘modern classic’ looking so clean yet still earning an honest living.

Just out of curiosity why are/were you opposed to the super singles, is there a reason other than the added cost of the rubber?

Reef:
That Fodens looking a beaut Dan really nice to see a ‘modern classic’ looking so clean yet still earning an honest living.

Just out of curiosity why are/were you opposed to the super singles, is there a reason other than the added cost of the rubber?

Thanks , the cost is ok ,it’s the unoriginal look ,they look grotesque, :cry: if I could get to 8300,8500,or 8700 on 315s that would do .

CAV thanks ,I am thinking of increasing the braking pressure on the rear axles in a bid to keep the front cooler especially when empty.

Punchy Dan:
will he get back home or turn in to pumpkin :laughing:

It depends on whether it’s Friday afternoon or not…

Not sure if it is still the case , but for turning circle and rear overhang calculations, wheelbase was measured from the centre of the front axle to a point four inches in front of the centre point of the two rear axles.
Anyway, I’m with the chap who suggested that an eight wheeler is the answer.!!

Phew, I was expecting a roasting. What ever happened to the days when we used to stop loading when it wouldn’t move any more. :wink: