"Heavy Haulage through the years"

ChrisArbon:

One of Mammoet’s among these.

Nice pics Chris ! :smiley: Out of intrest does the 3rd axle lift on the unit in the last pic ■■?

Click on pages twice to view.

DEANB:

ChrisArbon:

Nice pics Chris ! :smiley: Out of intrest does the 3rd axle lift on the unit in the last pic ■■?

Hi Dean. That Kenworth is a tri-drive. It looks like it could lift because there is no fender over it but in fact very few tractor units have any thing more than a flexible mounted mud-flap at the back. Probably because of damage caused when running off-road.

Nearly every new tractor unit that is likely to go off-road in Alberta is now a tri-drive. Oil-patch, logging, heavy-haul and even crude-oil collection trucks all seem to have three driven axles.

fsj3.JPG

ChrisArbon:

DEANB:

ChrisArbon:

Hi Dean. That Kenworth is a tri-drive. It looks like it could lift because there is no fender over it but in fact very few tractor units have any thing more than a flexible mounted mud-flap at the back. Probably because of damage caused when running off-road.

Nearly every new tractor unit that is likely to go off-road in Alberta is now a tri-drive. Oil-patch, logging, heavy-haul and even crude-oil collection trucks all seem to have three driven axles.

Thanks for the reply Chris. I imagine that tyre life is not that great with tri-drive as you must scuff the tyres when
turning.

DEANB:
Johnny,Dig,Oily i feel that we are spoiling the “boy” with all these Scammell pics !! [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] Maybe
we should stop posting them for a while,to wean him off slowly ! [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
Be careful. He might start throwing his toys out of his pram.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jsutherland:

DEANB:
Johnny,Dig,Oily i feel that we are spoiling the “boy” with all these Scammell pics !! [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] Maybe
we should stop posting them for a while,to wean him off slowly ! [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] :wink:

Johnny you have to be cruel to be kind some times !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Hendrickson.

DEANB:
Click on pages twice to view.

Interesting article Dean… but I would have sticked to the S26 the Foden replaced :laughing: :laughing:

DEANB:

jsutherland:

DEANB:

Johnny you have to be cruel to be kind some times !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Oi!!! Will you two stop it and try to behave… :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DEANB:

ChrisArbon:

DEANB:

ChrisArbon:

Thanks for the reply Chris. I imagine that tyre life is not that great with tri-drive as you must scuff the tyres when
turning.

Not only that Dean, but I can imagine having not enough weight on the driving axles is easily solved by lifting the first axle on the tridem… I know I would do such a thing no doubt…
Cheers for the pic’s and info Chris :wink:

DIG:
Thanks Dean that Curtis tri drive unit looks the real deal with a decent sized radiator and 500hp under the bonnet would make it a top unit.
The F model Mack driver was spot on about the ride in those trucks,I had a bonneted R model and it wasn’t much better.
Thanks Patrick Johnny and Oily on the ball as usual.

This is the best I could do in the train line Hammersly Iron ore train on route from Mt Tom Price mine to the Dampier port not as big as the Newman trains but there is another loco in the middle somewhere probably 10000 tons on the move
Dig

Some proper tarmac on that road eh DIG… :unamused: Where’s the end of that train? On the horizon?

DEANB:
Hendrickson.

Another interesting article Dean, cheers mate :wink: Is Hendrickson still “out and about”?

Couple of wagons I’ve bumped into these past few weeks…

20171214_130927.jpg

20171123_142023.jpg

Saw these pic’s in a magazine, quality is a bit poor I’m afraid…

pv83:

DEANB:
Hendrickson.

Another interesting article Dean, cheers mate :wink: Is Hendrickson still “out and about”?

Apparently they sold the truck building side and just concentrate on suspension systems these days. :wink:

DEANB:

pv83:

DEANB:
Hendrickson.

Apparently they sold the truck building side and just concentrate on suspension systems these days. :wink:

The Hendrickson story began in 1913 with the founding of The Hendrickson Motor Truck Company by inventor and businessman Magnus Hendrickson. This small Chicago-based manufacturing company built trucks often equipped with cranes, which were used to haul stone and other building materials.

In 1926, Hendrickson introduced the first tandem truck suspension, which mounted the axles on each end of an equalizing beam. This unique “walking beam” design distributed the truck’s load evenly between the two rear axles, which improved traction and greatly reduced the effects of bumps and potholes in the road. The walking beam soon gained widespread acceptance among the industry’s new 6x4 “six wheeler” trucks, which allowed more payload.

In 1978, The Boler Company, whose holdings included manufacturers of leaf springs and metal bumpers, purchased Hendrickson. In the years that followed, Hendrickson would expand into or acquire additional businesses in related areas—trailer suspension systems, auxiliary axle systems, springs, metal bumpers, and other heavy-duty components.

Eventually Hendrickson sold the truck manufacturing operation to focus solely on suspension systems and related components.

Today, Hendrickson is comprised of state-of-the-art facilities, technical centers and manufacturing centers, in the United States, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, France, Austria, Romania, Turkey, India, China and Australia.

Hendrickson.
Oily

Hendrickson cr H. Michael Miley cc by sA 2.0 36018337460_36a973ad03_k. HMM jpg.jpg

Hendrickson cr Hajee cc by nc nd 2.0 29170482663_8cec565df9 Hajee _o.jpg

oiltreader:
Hendrickson.
Oily

Fast as usual Oily, cheers mate :wink:
Any idea what engines Hendrickson used? Looking at that long bonnet, it must have been the top of the range…?

Cat in this one Patrick youtube.com/watch?v=i1Zva1mcVQ8.
Oily

oiltreader:
Cat in this one Patrick youtube.com/watch?v=i1Zva1mcVQ8.
Oily

Pity they didn’t fired up the engine, those older CAT engines usually give me eargasms… Eh, right, I’ll get me coat…