"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Dennis Javelin:

[zb]
anorak:

pv83:
Welti-Furrer from Switserland (nmp), can anyone identify the tractor unit? Can’t imagine they actually used that to pull the trailer.

Saurer 4cm

google.com/search?q=saurer+ … GB817GB817

…or FBW AX35:

militaerfahrzeuge.ch/unterkateg … 1_158.html

They look like they were both built to the same specification. It is a 4x4, but I guess they just used it for yard shunting. You would want a bit of ballast, to drag that trailer up a Swiss Alp.

Were they all right handed vehicles, seems so from the pictures? Bit strange from a Swiss manufacturer.

Mountain routes? As in Italy with all those heavy duty Fiat wagons and drags of the old days?

Spardo:

Dennis Javelin:

[zb]
anorak:

pv83:
Welti-Furrer from Switserland (nmp), can anyone identify the tractor unit? Can’t imagine they actually used that to pull the trailer.

Saurer 4cm

…or FBW AX35:

They look like they were both built to the same specification. It is a 4x4, but I guess they just used it for yard shunting. You would want a bit of ballast, to drag that trailer up a Swiss Alp.

Were they all right handed vehicles, seems so from the pictures? Bit strange from a Swiss manufacturer.

Mountain routes? As in Italy with all those heavy duty Fiat wagons and drags of the old days?

Like this one.
Oily

Exactly like that, and even bigger, there were plenty of 8+8s groaning up the mountains of the north. :laughing:

120197860_10157757942606229_2189340376067882543_n.jpg

Spardo:

Dennis Javelin:

Must be that. This one cropped up on Facebook. It says it is a 1965 model.

38742173_1950140311674969_8697326001513824256_n.png

The cab is unusual- they must have offered a coachbuilt version, alongside their in-house cab, or a chassis cowl. It looks smart enough, to me at least.

Apols. for dragging the heavy thread into lightweight Swiss oddities. :smiley:

Suedehead:

The ERF and the Hi rise cabbed Mack both attractive looking units SH good find.

Dig

[zb]
anorak:

Spardo:

Dennis Javelin:

The cab is unusual- they must have offered a coachbuilt version, alongside their in-house cab, or a chassis cowl. It looks smart enough, to me at least.

Anorak interesting trucks mate and got loads on.

Dig

Bewick:
[attachment=2I didn’t realise you liked a bit of “Bling” "pv83"4 so how do these few shots grab you ? Now don’t get over exited and “Blow your Biscuit” :wink: :laughing: :laughing: PS I thought the last shot of the 4 wheeler may be more your favourite :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nice motors, the last one would blend in rather well with the MAP fleet I reckon! :blush: :laughing:

DIG:

pv83:

I.m thinking stopping it might be a bit of a problem.

Dig

:laughing: :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:

pv83:

Saurer 4cm

…or FBW AX35:

Ta Anorak :wink:

Suedehead:

Cheers Suedehead, do you’ve got any more pic’s of that Mack ?

[zb]
anorak:

Spardo:

Dennis Javelin:

No worries Anorak, it’s always interesting to get off the beaten track :wink:

Lightweight Swiss oddities… that raises the question (going a bit further off-topic…) why they decided to change their max.28t rule, as they absolutely hate HGVs going through their country, going to and from Italy. I’ve recently had the "pleasure " of doing just that and if it were up to me, I would give the Swiss a miss whenever I could!

pv83:

Suedehead:

Suedehead:

pv83:

Suedehead:

Seems like a very short, Euro style, sleeper. But perhaps not, bearing in mind how close the driver sits to the windscreen in Yank wagons.

Spardo:

Suedehead:

pv83:

Suedehead:

Seems like a very short, Euro style, sleeper. But perhaps not, bearing in mind how close the driver sits to the windscreen in Yank wagons.

Is not much longer than a Euro cab. If it had the extension mentioned here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_F_series

…it would have been this long:

A 3 ft wide bunk is wider than Euro ones although, as you say, the US trucks had the seat further forward.

Nice old Hippo

(NMP)