"Heavy Haulage through the years"

newmercman:

Spardo:

newmercman:
I’m very good at making it appear that I work hard, it’s a skill I’ve developed over the years. I rarely work a 12hr day and I only work around 20days a month and realised long ago that I wasn’t going to get rich in this game lol. I also enjoy what I do, so it isn’t really work anyway, just poodling around listening to the wireless isn’t that difficult when you think about it.

More or less the same as me then, NMC, albeit on a smaller scale these days. :wink: :smiley:

Rarely the radio for me though, unless I am in range of Radio 4, audio books keep me company these days. [emoji38]

I switch between spotify and audible, I go through 4 or 5 books a month usually and I often listen to them laying in bed at night.

I looked at Audible, but the money seemed a bit dear if you don’t get many. I only listen to audio on the road. At home and in bed away from home, it is always Kindle books. At home, my go-to-sleep entertainment is The Archers on podcast, what else? :laughing:

In case you are interested, Loyal books do free downloads of out of copyright classics, and not so classic. Depends how you take to pre-1923 language, they do waffle a bit but my last one was a cracker, ‘Life on the Mississippi’ by Mark Twain. That bloke is almost up to date with his sense of humour and irony. :slight_smile:

Interesting to hear his sadness at the passing of the riverboats as main cargo carriers, killed by the railways, and comparing that to railways in their turn and modern trucks once suitable roads were available. I wonder what he would have thought, maybe a bit of schadenfreude and a gleam in his eye, maybe. :laughing:

I usually go for the cliche too good to be true hero type books in a series so I can listen to one after the other, I like them to be at least 12hrs long to get my money’s worth. Easy listening that doesn’t require any concentration, some of them are actually quite good, even though they’re so far fetched its laughable.

newmercman:
I usually go for the cliche too good to be true hero type books in a series so I can listen to one after the other, I like them to be at least 12hrs long to get my money’s worth. Easy listening that doesn’t require any concentration, some of them are actually quite good, even though they’re so far fetched its laughable.

Ah, I see, does that make you the hero then? :wink: :laughing:

“newmercman” Heres a clipping from your part of the world. :wink:

Click on page once to read.

hh amer 13.PNG

A bit more on the Samson.

Click on page twice.

Certainly quite a lot of elbow grease to spend on the cab! I didn’t know GM engines had been fitted on Scammells.

Froggy55:
Certainly quite a lot of elbow grease to spend on the cab! I didn’t know GM engines had been fitted on Scammells.

Froggy we had 2 Crusaders based in Derby West Aus fitted with 8v71 Detroits set at 318hp as far as i.m aware we didn’t have the option of the Rolls engines which would have suited us better.
Looking at the Sampson chassis mods compared to the stock model I.m fairly sure some of those chassis alterations were incorporated in our trucks which were assembled at the Perth workshops.
Dig

DEANB:
A bit more on the Samson.

Click on page twice.

Couple of good finds DeanO

Dig

DEANB:
“newmercman” Heres a clipping from your part of the world. :wink:

Click on page once to read.

Cheers Dean, wow, now that’s proper heavy haul. I’d like to know the route they took from SC to SK, Google here I come!

oiltreader:
Courtesy of Peter Schöler.
Oily

Ta Oily, maybe Danne can tell us more about these units :wink:

No photo of the truck involved but I will obtain it later suffice to say it belongs to an old work mate owner driver of mine who is still doing it,he took these pics of a typical Northern Australian sunrise which brought back some memories for yours truly of a view I rarely see these days.
A lot of our main Highways run east west or vicky versey so its always a bit of a squint until the sun gets above the visor or below the horizon.
.Thanks Crooksy I hope our european counter parts enjoy it to.
Cheers Dig

Same over here in the northern colonies Dig, lots of east west and vice versa running, sunset can be a real pain in the flatlands as you can’t see a bloody thing, I usually plan a stop for food or a kip to avoid it.

DIG:
No photo of the truck involved but I will obtain it later suffice to say it belongs to an old work mate owner driver of mine who is still doing it,he took these pics of a typical Northern Australian sunrise which brought back some memories for yours truly of a view I rarely see these days.
A lot of our main Highways run east west or vicky versey so its always a bit of a squint until the sun gets above the visor or below the horizon.
Cheers Dig

Thanks DIG

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

newmercman:
Same over here in the northern colonies Dig, lots of east west and vice versa running, sunset can be a real pain in the flatlands as you can’t see a bloody thing, I usually plan a stop for food or a kip to avoid it.

Thanks NMM yes i agree a good time to pull over for an hour but in todays world of hurry up and wait or satellite tracking and sat phone calls asking why you have stopped not always possible to do the smart thing.
I.m not sure where Crooksy took the photo but if it was between Port Hedland and Broome its 2 road houses in 700km situated 100kms apart and i.m sure you blokes are overwhelmed by the traffic congestion. coat hardhat.

Dig

jsutherland:

DIG:
Cheers Dig

Thanks DIG

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Thanks Johnny sorry I didnt find any large Scanias on our trip maybe next time.
Dig

On my current, little, motor I always drive with the visor down to the max and if the sun is setting or rising, or bouncing back up off a wet road, I can lift a lid over a storage compartment in front of the steering wheel to take the glare. But I agree, if time allows, pull over and take a break. :slight_smile:

Scania for Johnny from 1988. :smiley:

Click on pages twice.

Bit of Oz for Dig. :wink:

Click on pages once or twice.

I can’t tell much about this heavy tractor; its make is Hendrikson and with such a tiny cab, it can be only American!

Froggy55:
0I can’t tell much about this heavy tractor; its make is Hendrikson and with such a tiny cab, it can be only American!

Posted an article about those on page 86 “Froggy55” :wink: