"Heavy Haulage through the years"

pete smith:
Hi Patrick,
A load fresh out of John Thompsons in Bilston Staffs.
Picture taken on Tettenhall road in Wolverhampton on it way to Ellesmere Port I think, late 1970’s, it was usually Wynns who took these loads! The motorcycle Police ■■■■■■ at the rear was Joe Davies, Cheer’s Pete

Ta Pete, Cracking shot to wake up with :wink: Did you saw them coming through when you were a nipper? :laughing:

pv83:

pete smith:
Hi Patrick,
A load fresh out of John Thompsons in Bilston Staffs.
Picture taken on Tettenhall road in Wolverhampton on it way to Ellesmere Port I think, late 1970’s, it was usually Wynns who took these loads! The motorcycle Police ■■■■■■ at the rear was Joe Davies, Cheer’s Pete

Ta Pete, Cracking shot to wake up with :wink: Did you saw them coming through when you were a nipper? :laughing:

Yes mate, to be honest I cannot remember Pickfords doing much it was always Wynns I can remember mostly, a mile further down that road is where I saw that “hovercraft” system that Wynns used for the first time as there was a canal, stream and railway bridge’s within 50 yards of each other!

Scania for Johnny ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: I think Patrick likes them really…

DEANB:
Scania for Johnny ! [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] :wink: I think Patrick likes them really…

Tread carefully there Dean. You might get yourself banned [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

jsutherland:

DEANB:
Scania for Johnny ! [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] :wink: I think Patrick likes them really…

97AAEB58-396F-47CC-A179-D9E2C98E0688.jpeg

F81F16CA-9BAD-40A7-916F-45E40C0CB669.jpeg

52D12924-E6D8-41F5-A0F4-2505572E19BF.jpeg

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

But the 4-series t-cab couldnt be any ones favorite? But i actually have had 2 but never really like them. One with the V8 and topline and sure it sounded lovely with that straight pipe but the ride in it was no good. Then i had the 470 and the smaller cab with were a bit better ride but still not a favorite… but for the 2 and 3 series,thats a different story i just love them.

Danne

Danne

jsutherland:

DEANB:

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

You used to come up with some proper articles Dean, what happened…? :unamused: :laughing:

Dirty Dan:

jsutherland:

DEANB:

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

But the 4-series t-cab couldnt be any ones favorite? But i actually have had 2 but never really like them. One with the V8 and topline and sure it sounded lovely with that straight pipe but the ride in it was no good. Then i had the 470 and the smaller cab with were a bit better ride but still not a favorite… but for the 2 and 3 series,thats a different story i just love them.

Danne

Danne

You’re on the ball there Danne! Those T-versions they did of the 4-series just never looked “right” in my humble opinion, the NH series Volvo had at the time looked much better…
And as for the ride… same old same old mate! But try telling Herr Sutherland that! :laughing:

Some pic’s from the MAN shoe box…

RIMG0615.jpg

pv83:

The grey cab is a TITAN

pv83:

Some cracking MAN heavy haulage pictures from your MAN shoe box Patrick.

pv83:

jsutherland:

DEANB:

You used to come up with some proper articles Dean, what happened…? :unamused: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheeky bugger ! You know how it is Patrick scraping the barrel with that Scania,just trying to keep Johnny happy. :wink:

Heres an old piece about two Leyland Hippos on a job back in 1967. I like the bit where he says it was 65% overloaded ! :unamused:

Click on page twice to read.

DEANB:
Heres an old piece about two Leyland Hippos on a job back in 1967. I like the bit where he says it was 65% overloaded ! :unamused:

That is fascinating Dean, I can well imagine the terror on those steep sections, especially downhill waiting for the drive axles to start hopping, and wonder if they considered unloading the D9 and driving it alone up and down.

They dont sound like they were the most professional company Spardo !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Like you say it would have been probably quicker to unload the D9 and drive it up and down the steep hills. :wink:

I find some of the these old articles facinating.

DEANB:
They dont sound like they were the most professional company Spardo !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Like you say it would have been probably quicker to unload the D9 and drive it up and down the steep hills. :wink:

I find some of the these old articles facinating.

Or even use it to drag the poor old Hippos up. :laughing:

pv83:

jsutherland:

DEANB:

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

We call them bonneted models Footy Boots.

Dig

Spardo:

DEANB:

That is fascinating Dean, I can well imagine the terror on those steep sections, especially downhill waiting for the drive axles to start hopping, and wonder if they considered unloading the D9 and driving it alone up and down.

Gotta give them a pat on the back though, would have been scary though

Dig

Henry van den Berg:

pv83:

The grey cab is a TITAN

Whoops, that one seems to have slipped the net :blush: Cheers for pointing that out :wink:

Cheers, Patrick

jsutherland:

pv83:

Some cracking MAN heavy haulage pictures from your MAN shoe box Patrick.

Cheers! Bet you was hoping it was going to be that Scanny shoe box though eh… :laughing: :laughing: