"Heavy Haulage through the years"

oiltreader:
This side of La Manche, thanks to Richard Says.
Oily

Cheers Oily :wink:

My job for this week was about picking shown trailer up in Spain and deliver it to a site in France, place near Paris… with a total length of 24m and no steering axles I can assure you it was quite a challenge driving it on the national roads in France…

Now, I know the older hands are going to comment on this, probably along the lines of; “you bloody whippersnapper, you don’t know you’re born”, “we always did it like that back in them days”, hydraulic steering? Poofter!" :laughing: :laughing:

pv83:
My job for this week was about picking shown trailer up in Spain and deliver it to a site in France, place near Paris… with a total length of 24m and no steering axles I can assure you it was quite a challenge driving it on the national roads in France…

Now, I know the older hands are going to comment on this, probably along the lines of; “you bloody whippersnapper, you don’t know you’re born”, “we always did it like that back in them days”, hydraulic steering? Poofter!" :laughing: :laughing:

My thoughts exactly, apart from the 70 footers steered manually at the rear, the nearest I got to a rear steer was a 'trolley for carrying heavy, though not so long, loads. Only trouble was if you wanted to reverse it you first had to get it straight and then get out and shift a locking lever. If you had got yourself in a position with no forward space, you were knackered, only thing to do was try to reverse shoving the fully locked wheels sideways. :open_mouth:

Just had a quick calculate :unamused: 24 metres is just about us with a 60 ft non steerer, so I see your problems, even though ours were flat beds so the bogie was a bit further forward. Job well done anyway, mate, in this day and age I bet it is unusual to have no rear steers on that sort of kit. :wink:

pv83:

Bloody Whippersnappers, hydraulic steering? did not have power steering on the unit back in the day AND it had a gearstick, ruddy poofter, Anon 1

Dirty Dan:

pv83:

Dirty Dan:
So finaly got my pilotcars and left Sälen at midnight. First 1/3of the road is narrow and hilly but with 5 wide more or less al roads are narrow. My weigth was 107000kg and the 750 had to al of them hp. So the 250km to me 5h25m to drive… I tipped in the middle of the fires so it was intens to say the least.
But the machine was has done a great job up there and rescuepeople is werry impresed of how fast it done the job.

Danne

Cheers for posting Danne, wasn’t a easy job I can imagine… how many acres are lost due to the fires you reckon?

Nah it wasnt. But feelt good to help. Well they think its about 25000 acres if they count al of the fires. It has been burning on alot of places. Firefigthers from al over europe have come to help.

Danne

Good day Danne
A professional job done into a dangerous area it will give you a lot of job satisfaction.

Cheers Dig

DEANB:
Click on pages twice.

You have found another shoe box Deano thats an interesting article.

Cheers Dig

pv83:

Patrick I guess i.m old time as I have never seen anything other than large floats with steering axles and I think most of the trucks here still have manual gearboxes so we must be behind the times but as that load is the same length as half a triple you would qualify for a multi combination licence and if I can make a suggestion don’t take your coat off it will save time. LOL I,ll get mine .

Cheer Dig

The Cook/camera person and I have been on a 10 day round trip to the North of WA via what I call the middle road mainly gravel and little traffic,we only saw 3 road trains 2 with stock crates and the other with fuel tankers all would have been servicing stations and outback communities and possibly 40 others tourist vehicles regrettably no pics except for the one below which was a Haul Pak which was in the middle of nowhere I recall hearing that several of these units were travelling from from one mine to another and the tight asses decided to drive them rather than freight them anyhow this one failed,it must have been pretty terminal to leave it to rust/rot get pilfered away.

Cheers Dig

Wrekin Roadways Scammell Constructor, collecting a Centurion Mk.5 Tank, from the MV ‘Bengloe’ at the Royal Albert Dock London.

moomooland:
0 Wrekin Roadways Scammell Constructor, collecting a Centurion Mk.5 Tank, from the MV ‘Bengloe’ at the Royal Albert Dock London.

Now that poses a question. Never having carried a tank, was there a special reason why the trailer had been ‘nosed in’?

Or could it be that the expert behind the wheel couldn’t reverse a drag? :open_mouth: I’ll put this :blush: if the answer is really obvious. :unamused:

Does remind me of my Grandad who was the captain of a ship called ‘The Armourer’ in the first world war. The name says it all (and is still to be seen etched in stone on the gatepost of their old house in Chorlton-■■■-Hardy, he named his house after his ship) and his cargos were all tanks and stuff. I remember him telling me that one of them broke loose and fell many feet into the hold, landing with an enormous bang. Happily it didn’t keep on going and the ship survived but I bet it made a few around jump a bit.

So, with that in mind, why on earth would the driver of that Scammell volunteer to be closer to the descending lump than he need be? Me, I’d rather be a bit further away. :confused:

Spardo:

moomooland:
0 Wrekin Roadways Scammell Constructor, collecting a Centurion Mk.5 Tank, from the MV ‘Bengloe’ at the Royal Albert Dock London.

Now that poses a question. Never having carried a tank, was there a special reason why the trailer had been ‘nosed in’?

Or could it be that the expert behind the wheel couldn’t reverse a drag? :open_mouth: I’ll put this :blush: if the answer is really obvious. :unamused:

Does remind me of my Grandad who was the captain of a ship called ‘The Armourer’ in the first world war. The name says it all (and is still to be seen etched in stone on the gatepost of their old house in Chorlton-■■■-Hardy, he named his house after his ship) and his cargos were all tanks and stuff. I remember him telling me that one of them broke loose and fell many feet into the hold, landing with an enormous bang. Happily it didn’t keep on going and the ship survived but I bet it made a few around jump a bit.

So, with that in mind, why on earth would the driver of that Scammell volunteer to be closer to the descending lump than he need be? Me, I’d rather be a bit further away. :confused:

Nice one MML and I think he has hooked his trailer on the front Spardo because they are using the ships cranes and they are on there lift limit and he needed to get the trailer as close to the wharf edge and the ship as possible and decided manourvering with forward visibility was the way to go also there is probably a mooring bollard he had to get around just out of camera shot.

Dig

DIG:

DEANB:
Click on pages twice.
Cheers Dig

Hello Dig, Still got the odd article floating about chap ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I see you have been on your travels with the “Boss”.

moomooland:
Wrekin Roadways Scammell Constructor, collecting a Centurion Mk.5 Tank, from the MV ‘Bengloe’ at the Royal Albert Dock London.

Thats a cracking pic Paul ! :smiley:

Heres Wreckins newer Constructor.

DEANB:

DIG:

DEANB:
Click on pages twice.
Cheers Dig

Hello Dig, Still got the odd article floating about chap ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I see you have been on your travels with the “Boss”.

Yer Deano the odd one lol .

We didn’t quite do what was planned but the Boss and I are very adaptable which as you know comes from being transportologists over the years. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dig

pete smith:

pv83:

Bloody Whippersnappers, hydraulic steering? did not have power steering on the unit back in the day AND it had a gearstick, ruddy poofter, Anon 1

Cheers for your input Pete… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

DIG:

Spardo:

moomooland:

Nice one MML and I think he has hooked his trailer on the front Spardo because they are using the ships cranes and they are on there lift limit and he needed to get the trailer as close to the wharf edge and the ship as possible and decided manourvering with forward visibility was the way to go also there is probably a mooring bollard he had to get around just out of camera shot.

Dig

We did the same thing sometimes if we had to manoeuvre in tight places, it’s better to steer and you’ve got more visual overview Spardo.

Cheers MML for the pic and DIG for the info :wink:

DIG:

pv83:

Patrick I guess i.m old time as I have never seen anything other than large floats with steering axles and I think most of the trucks here still have manual gearboxes so we must be behind the times but as that load is the same length as half a triple you would qualify for a multi combination licence and if I can make a suggestion don’t take your coat off it will save time. LOL I,ll get mine .

Cheer Dig

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DEANB:

moomooland:
1 Wrekin Roadways Scammell Constructor, collecting a Centurion Mk.5 Tank, from the MV ‘Bengloe’ at the Royal Albert Dock London.

Thats a cracking pic Paul ! :smiley:

Heres Wreckins newer Constructor.

Now that’s a proper wagon Dean!

pv83:
We did the same thing sometimes if we had to manoeuvre in tight places, it’s better to steer and you’ve got more visual overview Spardo.

Yes, I see that with that kind of a trailer, the reason I forbade all my drivers to ‘nose in’ a drag was because we had full height bodies and not only was there not an overview, without mirrors facing forwards, there was no bloody view at all. :laughing:

I wasn’t being super critical of that driver, just thought it strange that an expert ‘drag artist’ would go to the trouble of changing round. In addition, reference Grandad’s experience, I would not have been comfortable with being so close to the ‘action’.

But, as I said to DIG, different times, without power steering or modern mirrors, not quite the same equation. :slight_smile:

DIG:
The Cook/camera person and I have been on a 10 day round trip to the North of WA via what I call the middle road mainly gravel and little traffic,we only saw 3 road trains 2 with stock crates and the other with fuel tankers all would have been servicing stations and outback communities and possibly 40 others tourist vehicles regrettably no pics except for the one below which was a Haul Pak which was in the middle of nowhere I recall hearing that several of these units were travelling from from one mine to another and the tight asses decided to drive them rather than freight them anyhow this one failed,it must have been pretty terminal to leave it to rust/rot get pilfered away.

Cheers Dig

Bit of a pity to leave it behind just like that eh… Looks like a Euclid…?
Interesting campervan you’ve got there DIG, is that based upon a LandRover chassis?

Cheers, Patrick