Heating Oil. Should we be concerned?

steptoe:

syramax:

However I would of thought those days were long gone, loose your job, get prosecuted and destroy your chances of ever getting another decent job can’t be worth a few litres of gasoil can it?
[/quote]

The problem is drivers can be as thick as mud …get away with it a few times then start getting greedy

I have heating oil and the only problem I have is the thieving gits who help themselves to it all!!!
In the last 2 years I have had stolen about 2000 Lts… I dont have problems with my supplier apart from the cost… But i never have more than 500 lts delivered anymore…

steptoe:

syramax:
so at the next drop ,the 60 litres trapped in the pipe is delivered free :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don’t think that’s what happens.

I’m a fuel delivery driver and that is exactly what happens. On the vehicle I drive the line holds about 100 litres and is fixed to the vehicle. There is no way to empty the line without going to a workshop and removing it from the vehicle and draining it manually. When you do a delivery the first 100 litres or so that goes in the tank is whatever is in the line before you start and the last 100 litres that the meter records stays in the line for the next delivery. This does mean that if your next delivery is a different product you need to switch from the current product to the next one 100 litres before you have finished pumping so that the line is primed with the new product ready for your next drop.

I’ve not been doing it long but as far as I can tell there is no way (with the vehicle I drive at least) of fiddling it. Every litre that comes out of the tank has to go through the meter.

Paul

As a rule you’d set, say, a 1000 ltr dly of kero to 900 ltrs, then swap pots to whatever product you’re delivering next, and then set it at 100 ltrs to finish the dly, giving a clean line change. The hose is then primed with the correct product for the next dly.

As I said, older tankers could do this using the, iirc, return valve without flagging it up on a tracker, mmtm. :open_mouth:

Twice I have tried putting an informed post on here but it just vanishes during the Preview stage.

OILRIGHTNOW:
Twice I have tried putting an informed post on here but it just vanishes during the Preview stage.

Possibly because the thread is six years old?

Whooah, pull back :smiley:

After 6 years…

No, I’m not concerned one bit.

I’ve not been doing it long but as far as I can tell there is no way (with the vehicle I drive at least) of fiddling it. Every litre that comes out of the tank has to go through the meter.

As an old tanker driver who has driven various types of tankers and used different types of pumping systems I can let you into a little secret although I am sure you are not interested. :wink:

Nobody at delivery point and tank not checked regularly after delivery…Whats to stop the driver pumping a few hundred litres back into the system with the ticket in the meter?
Certainly easier on the old top loaders but not impossible with others!

There’s always a way if you are that way inclined. :laughing:

whistler:
The correct procedure is to pump say 500 litres through the certified meter - the fiddle is simple once 500 litres have been dispensed - quickly shut the pump off and close the valve at the tank end,(usually similar to a petrol pump head) then isolate the pipe valve on the vehicle - you then have a pipe full of product but a certificate showing the correct amount was dispensed. Knowing the diameter and length of these pipe you can “trap” 60 litres plus.

Most vehicles carry 2 / 3 sets of pipes for different situations - fill two a day - 100 litres"[/i]

Do my members have a valid concern, or is this unfounded paranoia?

Look at how the pipe lays, look how the driver puts it back on the vehicle. Do you really believe it is possible to disconnect it and put it up on the back of the lorry with 60 litres in it and drive down the road without it coming out every time they stop or set off?

Bloody empty pipes are heavy enough to pop a bollock out, without adding the weight of 60 litres of fuel.

if you even suspect somebodys stealing then chances are they are. itll likely run deep. over the years iv come across working blokes in regular jobs who stole at every opportunity often stuff they didnt even need or ever use ,random stuff they later gave away to whoever, this then bought them friendship. its not about doing it for extra money either. They always cover their back