Health and Safety Stupidity

Dont forget Harry, some want yellow some want green , best get a pair of each colour! Only consolation for me is we get all ppe provided I like to mix and match , that ■■■■■■ 'em off even more than not having any! Try wearing green at aTarmac site they’ll love you for it.

I do pallet network deliveries and occasionaly get the odd drop for Bardon Aggregates. I usually get told I wont get on the site next time if I don’t have HiViz trousers. Thats about the last 20 visits to their sites I’ve been told that!!! :laughing:

I went to a place the other day, and was asked to take off my yellow hi-viz and put on one of their dull blue ones. When I commented that it didn’t look very hi-viz, I was told it’s not so you can be seen, it’s just so we know you’re a driver and not a proper member of staff! I felt so loved… :frowning:

Gary

As much as I laugh out loud at all the health and safety sh te it’s probably because soom tool has done something and made a claim against a company and the company is just reacting against a claim.
Yeah fair enough there’s plenty of health and safety jobsworths about. I’ve known people in warehouses be paid out for dropping something on his foot that weighed 3kg. He was wearing steelies anyway but got a grand.
Or someone dropped a stapler on his shin and he even went to A and E with it, it wasn’t even a scratch and was in a transport office. Got a pay out anyway so bear that in mind when you’re asked to conform to any of these pantomimes.

I find it quite strange that after wandering around one of these H&S paradises being ignored by all and sundry, merely taking off your hi vis vest suddenly makes you the MOST visible person on the planet!

Harry Monk:
I was. I was told I needed full PPE. It just seems to have got a bit fuller. :wink:

Just to be sure Harry wear this;

Derf:

Harry Monk:
I was. I was told I needed full PPE. It just seems to have got a bit fuller. :wink:

Just to be sure Harry wear this;

Looks like a tellytubby outfit. :laughing:

I was forklifting in the yard a couple of months back and I had these bright yellow high vis trousers on because they were waterproof and it was pooring down with rain, I quickly went out to do a house drop in a rigid and just left the trousers on,
As I was sorting the tail lift out a mum and her little boy was walking past when the boy pointed and said “mummy mummy the bin man is here” haven’t worn them since.

I feel your pain Harry :cry: I rocked up at Killingholme for the ferry to Hoek to be told I had to wear my hiviz or I would be refused entry :unamused: Now they have always wanted you to put it on if you get out of the cab but to check in from the cab and drive down to the ferry :confused: :open_mouth: So after eventually finding the thing I hung my head and drove in my hiviz :laughing: :laughing:

I never realised my own cab was so hazardous :open_mouth:

FarnboroughBoy11:
I was forklifting in the yard a couple of months back …snip… “mummy mummy the bin man is here” haven’t worn them since.

Are forklift drivers now holding themselves superior to bin men?

I didn’t realise you had separate levels down there… :wink:

I’ve been told not to climb a pile of muck to get the digger driver to sign a ticket. The digger driver must come down and do it. Nice to know there are people less important than tipper drivers.
:laughing:

I do a regular job where I have to wear high viz hard hat and saftey glases. High viz has to be orange as its crossrail. I don’t even get out of the cab

kr79:
I do a regular job where I have to wear high viz hard hat and saftey glases. High viz has to be orange as its crossrail. I don’t even get out of the cab

You have to wear high viz in the cab once past the weighbridge at Wootton Bassett sidings; Surely if someone can’t spot your lorry, then a shiny vest wont be seen either?
OTT safety rules just encourage people to break the simplest and most sensible; This week I’ve seen stupid lorry drivers climbing into their tipping bodies when sat waiting to load. Artic drivers start tipping then walking to tailgate to undo it and the best today, one artic driver actually drive between me and the lorry I was loading as I approaching the lorry. So if said (vaginal slang term not allowed on here) in the old blue Daf 95xf is reading this, next time I’ll just ram a 30t machine into the side of your cab so you do see me.

Own Account Driver:

I could be wrong, being an Aussie and all, but didn’t they spell Pillock incorrectly on that hard hat?

A must for all cabs, lol

play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/ … d:25412007

Angus25:
I find it funny when I go on the docks they say I should wear a hard hat when picking up a box I hope the hat save me if the box was to fall.

The risk is not so much a container falling on you - if it did, a skull fracture would be the least of your worries. The danger to your head is from pebbles, tools and other bits of crap/debris that might have lodged on/under the box while on its travels.

wilbur:

FarnboroughBoy11:
I was forklifting in the yard a couple of months back …snip… “mummy mummy the bin man is here” haven’t worn them since.

Are forklift drivers now holding themselves superior to bin men?

I didn’t realise you had separate levels down there… :wink:

:slight_smile::slight_smile: I certainly am!!! I was helping out in the yard for a bit of overtime on a Saturday. I would rather be known as a traffic warden than a bin man!!! :wink:

I think it’s quite reasonable to require drivers to put on hard hats, hi-viz etc when driving into the area where they might be needed, as it is proof positive that they have the required item(s) in their possession, ready and able to be worn and (more importantly) that if something happened that required them to get out and do something, they would already be wearing the stuff.

When did “common sense” become not so common ?

jensenA3:
When did “common sense” become not so common ?

when a woman was able to buy a hot coffee from mcdonalds, spill it and successfully sue mcdonalds for being scalded or how about the man who bought a campervan set the cruise control and got up to make a coffee, only for the van to crash and him successfully sueing the manufacturer because he wasnt told he still had to steer the van whilst the cruise control was on :unamused: