Having to put your Dog to sleep

Had to do it three months ago for the third time, all Border Collies, and all super dogs. I always found a new pup about three months before the old dog got too bad, so there was never a gap.I slipped up this time, as the last one’s hips went very suddenly. OK on Saturday, couldn’t walk Monday, vet Tuesday. First dogless break in 39 years! One week later, out of the blue, I heard of a 15 month old collie pup looking for a home. She’s been with us for 9 weeks now, and while she’ll never REPLACE the old dog, she’s doing a great job of SUCCEEDING her.
The only problem with taking on a young dog is that I’m 73, so the dog will probably outlive me, and will possibly need rehoming at an advanced age, which may not be good for her.
Life’s a bugger at times, ain’t it?

In 2010 me and my wife despite having 3 dogs volunteered at our local animal rescue. We decided to foster a dog there called Heidi as she was in a bad way and no chance of a home. Turns out we were rubbish fosterers as after 2 days we told the home we were adopting her.
Anyway we slowly got her well over a few months but low and behold she suddenly got sick and died even though by now she was having the best treatment you could buy. Even after just a few months we were heart broken. However as you know at animal shelters there’s always more and my wife brought home a Shar Pei. It is now 5 years later and that Shar Pei is a loved member of our family.
We now have 4 dogs but 3 of them are in their twilight years and it will be terrible to lose them. The other one is a pup and he has brought so much energy and light into the house it has been great.
Been rambling here but guess I’m just saying I understand the pain your going through. If considering a new best friend there’s lots of dogs in shelters both old and young take care.

tried to have the wife put to sleep once, the vet wouldnt believe me when i said shes a dog…anyway we`re still together ha ha

We are a nation of animal lovers so dont be afraid to come on here and discuss an animal issue, yes a lot have experienced what you have or are about to, you knew something wasnt right because the dog didnt behave the way she normally does so you have a choice that most of us would find difficult, none of us like losing a part of our family, and your dog was a part of your family, as upsetting as it may be you will make the right choice, and there will be no more suffering.

I feel your pain I lost my cab buddy on new years eve 2011, liver cancer, still miss him today.Its amazing how attached you get to them, they are here for such a short time :cry:

Thank you so much to all of you. It really does means a lot reading your replies. Took the old boy in at 5pm tonight. I took some comfort that it was so quick.

:cry: :frowning:

Hammy747:
We’re on our third black lab at home now. Unfortunately with black labs they become fairly prone to all sorts of cancers as they get older. We’re more prepared for it now but it’s still one of the most difficult decisions you’ll make.

But just remember, if your pooch is suffering in any way, and it won’t get better, then the kindest thing to do is send them off to sleep. It’s never easy and it never gets easier to say goodbye but it’s sometimes the kindest thing to do rather than out them through some really intense operations.

my ex brother in law[now passed on]had a chocolate Labrador called henry many years ago,he had to put him to sleep through cancer,he told members of family how it upset him the way henry looked at him as he was passing away,big tough trucker and he walked out crying,still if there is life after death at least he is with henry now

I feel your pain had to make the decision to put my Great Dane down we rescued her as her 1st owner couldn’t cope but her back legs where going you have to think what’s best for the animal regardless or your self i made the decision not to have another as you become to attached

I’ve lost 2 of my greyhounds this year,and my third one is aging rapidly,probably go within the next 12 months :cry:
I’ve vowed not to have another one…but I know I will :unamused:

I got a pic to show you. No matter how many dogs we lose there’s always someone waiting for their chance.

Baggie:
I’ve lost 2 of my greyhounds this year,and my third one is aging rapidly,probably go within the next 12 months :cry:

I’m so sorry to hear that Baggie. Right now I never , ever want to do that again. I’ve done it twice now. This was the worse.

I’ve really like your profile pic. Is it one of your greyhounds?

Just prompted me to put up a pic’ of old dickead :slight_smile:
Done the avatar too.

Freight Dog:

Baggie:

I’m so sorry to hear that Baggie. Right now I never , ever want to do that again. I’ve done it twice now. This was the worse.

I’ve really like your profile pic. Is it one of your greyhounds?

It’s not a photo,but it’s a pretty good representation of my lone survivor,and you know what ?
I noticed tonight that the mangy cur has got fleas :open_mouth: …must have caught 'em from my missus :laughing: :laughing:

Update about Yoshi (ol’ ■■■■’ead) poor bugger had a stroke yesterday and started losing his balance. Took him to the vet who gave him a couple of injections and said that he’s not suffering, but have to take him back today for a check up. By all accounts, he could go a while longer, but I made it clear that if he starts suffering, it’s all over.

peterm:
Update about Yoshi (ol’ ■■■■’ead) poor bugger had a stroke yesterday and started losing his balance. Took him to the vet who gave him a couple of injections and said that he’s not suffering, but have to take him back today for a check up. By all accounts, he could go a while longer, but I made it clear that if he starts suffering, it’s all over.

All the best for ol ■■■■’ead mate. Looks a fine pup!

Had another visit to the vet, another jab, followed by treats of course, and he seems a lot better. Not sure if that’s the injections or the treats. :slight_smile:

It’s been a few years now since I had to take our old dog on that particular journey. Still well remember walking into the reception/waiting room with her in my arms (she couldn’t stand, let alone walk) and everyone sort of parting without a word to allow me to the front. Vet unable to do anything more for her (we’d been there a few times in the preceding days) although they kept her in for one night. Next morning I went to see if there was any progress, hoping to bring her home again. There was no change and so the decision was taken. I held her while the jab was administered and watched her go to sleep. They gave me her collar and I walked out blubbing like a baby.

Bloody 'ard ain’t it mate.

Cried my eyes out when the time came for each of these

Like I said, bloody 'ard.