Have things changed for better or worse

thecoder0:
Its roughly just over 3 years ago I decided to take a job out of the industry and give up driving. Some of the frustrations at the time were the lack of consistency of work,being treated like a numpty,being public enemy number 1,living in a tin box from Monday to Friday etc etc etc.

Now having only been back on the forum a couple of days and reading some of the posts it would appear that not much has changed :unamused: .

I recognise a few old names on here and wondered if I could ask if they tink things are any better these days. Is there more/less work about,Do agencies still have as bigger part to play as they did back then,I certainly dont see as many adds asking for drivers in my local rag as I did back then.

I am at the moment working 12 hr shifts days and nights and the work is non driving and very local,but it is hard physical graft and at 50 my old bones are getting tired :smiley: couple that together with the fact that I do actually miss getting about would you stay where you are or go back to driving if you were me ?

So in a nutshell is life on the open road any better now than it was 3 years ago… :neutral_face:

I,m back after twenty years and apart from different coloured wagons and these nice curtains on the trailer its just the same, winging drivers and not enough hours in the day!!!

44 Tonne Ton:

Coffeeholic:

thecoder0:

Coffeeholic:
Nothings really changed, still an easy job.

Plenty of it Neil ?

No idea, I haven’t had cause to look recently. We have plenty of agency guys in, most doing 5 or 6 shifts a week, most regulars but some new faces as well, and the ones I speak to say they have plenty of work.

It might be the guys you don’t see who are struggling for work? Just a thought…HTH! :stuck_out_tongue:

If I can’t see them they don’t exist. I only believe in things I can see.

Thankyou.

Carryfast:

Winseer:
Do you think that wages will sky rocket like they did in the late 1970’s when interest rates rise sharply? :question:
Anyone not being able to pay their mortgage (due to the new high rates) might deliberately default the mortgage, put themselves on the dole, and claim housing benefit for the new rented place they’ll be provided with.

It was prices that sky rocketed during the mid 1970’s and the unions (tried and failed to) keep wages in line.Then Thatcher got in. :open_mouth:

Wages can’t go anywhere because the supply of labour far outweighs demand for it which is the result of years of de industrialisation and immigration so interest rates can’t rise either because the money isn’t there to pay them if they did and the banks would just be left with loads of repo’d housing with loads of negative equity on it and there’d be loads of homeless bankrupt home buyers who are still liable for the difference in value between what they borrowed and what their repo’d house would be worth.
So basically the savers are subsidising a zb’d economy and keeping it afloat by accepting zb savings rates to prevent a further,much bigger,banking collapse if interest rates were put up to where they should be.

In addition to which the place is now importing goods that it doesn’t need that it could have made for itself all paid for by borrowed money and earnings from making hamburgers and moving imported goods around warehouses while exporting zb all and paying for the resulting unemployment rates using printed worthless money.

The economy as it stands is a bit like the Titanic.It’s just a matter of time before it inevitably sinks.

I agree with you regarding why rates won’t rise - bank liabilities fair enough.

If you get repossesed however, the shortfall gets converted into an unsecured loan, which then gets chucked on the bonfire when the homeowner goes bankrupt. They WON’T EVER be paying off that shortfall, and anyone chasing debts beyond bankruptcy is merely trying it on. Bad side is you’ll never get a mortgage again. Upside is you find just about every debt in one’s entire universe, and chuck it all on the BR pile at once.

The only way to become debt free is to either (1) come into serious amounts of money that can pay it ALL off before more interest moves the amount payable out of reach again, or (2) default it all at once, then stay on low income for 6 years to make sure the buggers can’t come after you with attachment or earnings/charging orders/CCJs etc. If you stay on a low income for the 6 years, they’ll give up. I’m not joking! Debt has become a problem, because people try to find ways of NOT defaulting, which invariably involves higher interest rates, more interest payments, and forever “rolling over” the loan into some other product, commissions added each time. We all moan about banks, but until the public revolts via mass defaulting (not illegal after all!) we’ll never kick the buggers into touch!

Giving up credit (the only real price of default) is like giving up smoking. Hard, until its done - then you never look back!
:sunglasses: