Happy owner drivers

SHYTOT:
Was talking to a driver this morning he told me he was on £35000 per year 48 hour week plus all the benefits of a large organisation
why would anyone want their own truck

Why indeed, perhaps some are not on such a salary and reading many posts on here lots would consider that peanuts…was that in a RDC waiting room :smiley:

From a previous post of mine:
“I am now retired from driving but my son is continuing the business, having said that I would not advise anyone to give up a good job and start in todays business climate.”

If I had been on an equivalent salary and conditions in 1985 I doubt that I would have started.

No mate it was outside a convenience store

SHYTOT:
Was talking to a driver this morning he told me he was on £35000 per year 48 hour week plus all the benefits of a large organisation

Some people are quite happy plodding along, cashing there paycheck every week.

And some are not, if we were all plodders the world would be a very boring place.

I was an owner driver, i had 2 trucks what a great life…weekends off…a lie in every morning…loads of money…oh sorry…i was dreaming.!! I did a long time ago, but got knocked…that was my downfall and it affected many back in the 70/80`s…especially when on a trip…end of my lifestyle. I know a few owner drivers who have given up in the last 2/3 years as they cannot make it pay…rates were reduced, maintenance became more expensive…the list is endless…a tyre blow out…is a weeks profit down the swanney…weekends were spent in the yard sorting out the faults. the weeks were spent trying to earn…in todays climate its not easy to start out…although if you do your homework…if you have good contacts for work, if the rates are good…so many IFS…but all very important…the biggest…is the truck…pay cash, no finance is the way forward…same for the trailer, dont start to bling it up…or fancy paint jobs…wait till your established to see what your profits are, then you will always have to set some aside…for your servicing etc + 6 weekly checks + insurances + taxes + wages…what you earn is not yours…and if you want to become a millionaire…start off with 2 million.

SHYTOT:

J Godfrey&Son (Not sure where based??) on Bakebook there Thur looking trampers into real nice FH4 Volvo’s on tauntliner work.

Mon to Fri 4nights out £850gross,
Why go O/D and all the hassle/stress and PISH!!![emoji848]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Concretejim:

SHYTOT:

Some people are quite happy plodding along, cashing there paycheck every week.

And some are not, if we were all plodders the world would be a very boring place.

I “plod along” quite happily on PAYE:

3nights out week/1yr old 480 MAN/rarely over 55hrs “on duty” per week,
NEVER over 65hrs drive time per fortnight!!!
Start 2200 Sun and finish majority before Fri lunch (5shifts),
Easy clean/dry frigo work.

Wouldn’t say I’m rich but “comfortable”.
Invest my money wisely via investment funds and enjoy seeing it “profit” while I sit/SLEEP on my fat arse!!![emoji41]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

matamoros:

ATS:
379 now, i am just wondering if there is any owner drivers out there that are happy that they are an owner driver, it all seems to be negative comments and people jumping to ridicule someone, it would be good to see positive comments

Here’s one :smiley:

I have been an owner operator for 32 years, ups and downs but on the whole happy with the decision I made in 1985’

I am now retired from driving but my son is continuing the business, having said that I would not advise anyone to give up a good job and start in todays business climate.

Christ Matamoros, I was born the year you set up!

Punchy Dan:
Iam not negative but I do get ■■■■■■ off reading posts by itch scratchers ,I own my vehicles and my premises outright and have saved for new vehicles too as I belive this is the way it should be rather than always being on the never never Woking for a dictated pittance per mile ,i know everyone has to start somewhere but really the not for profit atitude is the one that dose the most damage to haulage contractors like me who undertake work for rates set by themselves .

I wouldn’t start any other way Punchy Dan. Especially with out of London LEZs coming on stream this year. I know that I am good for these places because I’m E6C. I also know that I’m not going to get clobbered with big repair bills. I would love my own site and would be delighted if I could own new outright but i cant yet. I do own the trailer though!

I’m heading on to 8 months in ATS and I am currently rather happy, though I do get a bit stressy on long wait jobs. On the whole I wouldn’t change it and I would forever regret not having had a go if I had decided not to run my own.

Nsmith, when I took my youngest drivers on a few years back, they were born in '90 & '91, I realised my mobile phone number was older than they were :unamused:

I’m happy, bought my first lorry in 1993 (had a sabbatical for a few years before starting again) and I’ve always managed to earn more with my own lorry than I could as an employee. On the whole it’s been a positive experience, of course there have been bad times, but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. If I could turn back the clock I would do it all over again, even the mistakes as I learned more from those than I did from the successes.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I started in 1984 with a p reg F88.
I feel old.
But I’m still going.
Too old to change now.

Started in '78, with a Commer (old style) LWB tipper. Still at it. Ive never borrowed money but saved, and run what i could afford to write a cheque for.
Just had books back from the accountant, and even though I spent around 50K on kit in that year, I’m still going to be paying a fair bit of tax at 40%.
It’s not all bad, but for sure, if you want to be a successful one man band, you really need to find a niche, otherwise I think it must be a he’ll of a slog.
Would I do it all over again? I’m not sure I would, but there’s no going back now, so I’ll just have to truck on into the sunset, which, disturbingly, is coming ever closer!!

thank you all for your honest reply’s

If your making a little profit a week from each truck are you happy? All adds up at the end of the month

matamoros:

ATS:
379 now, i am just wondering if there is any owner drivers out there that are happy that they are an owner driver, it all seems to be negative comments and people jumping to ridicule someone, it would be good to see positive comments

Here’s one :smiley:

I have been an owner operator for 32 years, ups and downs but on the whole happy with the decision I made in 1985’

I am now retired from driving but my son is continuing the business, having said that I would not advise anyone to give up a good job and start in todays business climate.

+1…wrong era unfortunately