Had a REALLY CRAP day yesterday

ezydriver:
To your left (or is it right?) there should be a switch with the letters “D”, “R”, and “N”… select “R”, push the accelerator, and do a hard left on the steering wheel and you should get yourself out of that situation.

Nah I just let the expert do it with his bit of kit.

Even though I can’t get the picture straight :laughing:

Caught it on dashcam?

rambo19:
Caught it on dashcam?

No dashcams on our wagons sadly :frowning:

Just like to say a BIG thank you for all the support from the majority that were well wishers. And a BIG swivel to all the doubters, especially you RobK, I couldn’t be arsed to reply to your patronising posts, hope you noticed that.
All back to normal and back on the road tomorrow.

Donning my trucknet CSI hat here for a min…
Surely if he cut in front of you and you took evasive action to avoid him then surely your unit would of ended up in the grass the opposite side in which it has■■?
Surely you wouldn’t of turned into to him to avoid him as you suggest and as your picture suggests given that you have ended up in the o/s of the carriageway…unless of course you were trying clip the back of his trailer in a police chase style to send him into a spin to end the pursuit :question:

Glad you walked away from it, perriot. That second set of pictures looks scary-close to going for a lie down in that field. :open_mouth:

Hope your firm treats you decently over it mate.

■■■■ happens , no kittens killed put it down to experience and Carry on driver ,as the saying goes worse things happen at sea . Ps pleased all involved ok

So let me get this right.

You are in a LHD wagon on the right hand side of the road. The surface is dry and it is day light. The road is straight. A car is overtaking you on your good side on this dry and straight road and somehow you don’t see it until it’s alongside you almost and another vehicle is on a collision course with it from the opposite direction.

So even though there is no room anyway, you pull over to the right and end up grass tracking for numerous yards until the unit gets back onto the asphalt and then jack-knifes you over to the left.

The Polish driver doesn’t collide with either you or the oncoming vehicle and is never seen again.

In other news, I had a coffee at Lymm services last week with Kim Jong Un and Elvis Presley…

Sammyn does raise valid points.

When i’m on a narrow road where due to available width of ‘‘my’’ side of the road i have to run very close to the edge, and beyond the edge is a sharp drop, i can assure you i am not looking in my mirrors every few seconds, i’m concentrating on watching the road for any imperfections and undulations, anything at all, that might make me touch the edge of the road leading possibly to the verge collapsing and pulling the lorry straight into the scenery.
It’ll be a glance in the mirrors now and again as the smoothest parts of the road, and any oncoming traffic, allow.

And no, i wouldn’t be expecting some half wit in a lorry to attempt an overtake there either.

Glad you weren’t hurt Pierrot.

xichrisxi:
Surely if he cut in front of you and you took evasive action to avoid him then surely your unit would of ended up in the grass the opposite side in which it has■■?
Surely you wouldn’t of turned into to him to avoid him as you suggest and as your picture suggests given that you have ended up in the o/s of the carriageway…unless of course you were trying clip the back of his trailer in a police chase style to send him into a spin to end the pursuit :question:

Not quite sure what you are talking about. This happened in France. Are you getting your lefts and right in the wrong order

Juddian:
Sammyn does raise valid points.

When i’m on a narrow road where due to available width of ‘‘my’’ side of the road i have to run very close to the edge, and beyond the edge is a sharp drop, i can assure you i am not looking in my mirrors every few seconds, i’m concentrating on watching the road for any imperfections and undulations, anything at all, that might make me touch the edge of the road leading possibly to the verge collapsing and pulling the lorry straight into the scenery.
It’ll be a glance in the mirrors now and again as the smoothest parts of the road, and any oncoming traffic, allow.

And no, i wouldn’t be expecting some half wit in a lorry to attempt an overtake there either.

Exactly Juddian.

And thanks for the well wishes :slight_smile:

pierrot 14:
Just like to say a BIG thank you for all the support from the majority that were well wishers. And a BIG swivel to all the doubters, especially you RobK, I couldn’t be arsed to reply to your patronising posts, hope you noticed that.
All back to normal and back on the road tomorrow.

You call it patronising, I call it pointing out the uncomfortable truth.

If you’d been doing 40 in the 50 limit then the tale would make sense. But you claim you were doing 52 in a 50 limit on a single carriageway road with limited visibility ahead and another artic went to overtake you?! Yeah right, ■■■■ off man! Let’s have the other half of the story please. :bulb:

A more likely version of events is that you were doing the speed limit and he was driving on the limiter, caught up with you and sat 2 inches off your back doors, straddling the white line trying to get you to get your toe down (as is common here). You took umbrage at it and slowed down and/or started braking which ■■■■■■ him off enough to overtake, at which point you gunned the gas to ensure he didn’t get past and tried to force a head-on collision, but then your arse fell out when you realised he wasn’t giving in and you had to take to the grass or collide with him.

Another possibility is that you were too busy mouthing obscenities at him and giving him coffee bean gestures out of the window as he was coming past that you lost control and the wheels dropped onto the verge which you couldn’t recover from :smiley: .

If I had to bet I know which version my money would be on and it wouldn’t be the top one.

Even the crazy Irish and NI lot would reluctantly sit behind you if you were cruising along doing 52 in 50 limit on a s/c so there’s more to this ‘incident’ than what you’ve posted here imo.

slowlane:
Glad you walked away from it, perriot. That second set of pictures looks scary-close to going for a lie down in that field. :open_mouth:

Hope your firm treats you decently over it mate.

Thank you Slowlane, yes STEF are really good and have said call Monday for next trip and only if you feel ok we will send you out

xichrisxi:

To be fair going by the marks in the nearside ditch he probably didn’t turn left.It was the drive axle having got onto the grass then losing grip and the trailer then pushing the sliding rear end of the unit to the right and the front correspondingly to the left.

Although I can also see RobK’S view in that surely the natural reaction in this situation would have been to make an emergency stop,preferably without putting the wheels off the road,as soon as the nutter was seen going for it in the mirrors and when his cab was level with the rear end of the trailer.Not wait until he’s well along side and then do something.As for use of the mirrors anyone would generally be expected to fail the LGV test if they weren’t driving the thing on the mirrors as much as looking ahead.

pierrot 14:

xichrisxi:

Not quite sure what you are talking about. This happened in France. Are you getting your lefts and right in the wrong order

Not
At all,your driving down the road and matey boy over takes you on the left and cuts in front of you,why then would you swerve into the middle of the road and into on coming traffic if he’s cutting in from your left then surely you’d swerve to the right to try and avoid him and the oncoming car you talk of?!

xichrisxi:

pierrot 14:

xichrisxi:

Not
At all,your driving down the road and matey boy over takes you on the left and cuts in front of you,why then would you swerve into the middle of the road and into on coming traffic if he’s cutting in from your left then surely you’d swerve to the right to try and avoid him and the oncoming car you talk of?!

Im guessing he went right whilst moving out the way of the lorry but then lost control on the grass so after the lorry had passed he swerved left trying to correct himself.

Hey Pierrot

Damage does not look too bad, there is no personal injury and your company seems not to make an issue about it, so ignore the negative vibes and just be glad you are ok.
At first you will just be a little nervous each time someone sits just behind your backdoors on a narrow stretch, but even that will fade in time.

Juddian:

^^^ +1

Pierrot do you or your company have dash cams ? We have forward facing cameras but I still always set up my own dash cam for quick viewing as probably like yourself if I’m involved in an incident I’m confident it’ll be the other ■■■■■ fault.

pierrot 14:

xichrisxi:

:confused:

It’s France so you’re driving on the right and the nearside is to the right.The overtaking vehicle is overtaking on the ‘left’ and cutting in from the left.Don 't see how xichrisixi has got any left v right mixed up.Although as I’ve said the bit he’s possibly got mixed up with is that it was the sliding right hand side of the drive axle,to the right,while running along the grass and loose earth in the nearside ditch,that pitched you into a left hand jacknife across the other side of the road,not a commanded left turn at the steering ?.

mrginge:

xichrisxi:

pierrot 14:

xichrisxi:

Not

Im guessing he went right whilst moving out the way of the lorry but then lost control on the grass so after the lorry had passed he swerved left trying to correct himself.

Exactly this.

Swerved right onto the soft verge, quite likely under harsh braking.
Trailer pushed in a straight line on the unit which has already lost traction causing it to swap ends and come to a grinding halt.

Textbook jacknife.

Pretty hair rasing moment being a passenger in that sitution but could have been a lot worse as the whole thing could just as easy laid on its side.