Guy

Ha Ha Dennis,

Leopards & Spots… :smiley: :unamused: :laughing: :grimacing:

E.W.

Leave poor old CF alone, he likes my CAT engine, so he can make sense every now and then, it doesn’t happen often I admit, but occasionally he has a moment of clarity.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

A pair of Guy BigJ 4Ts operated by Gulf Oil.
JMK 225K was powered by a Gardner 180 engine while GJD 377N had a Rolls-Royce Eagle 22 engine.
Click on image to view full size

moomooland:
0A pair of Guy BigJ 4Ts operated by Gulf Oil.
JMK 225K was powered by a Gardner 180 engine while GJD 377N had a Rolls-Royce Eagle 22 engine.
Click on image to view full size

I think I have posted before about a Gulf Oil Big J 8 wheeler that delivered regularly to Bewick Transport on nights from Stanlow, 17,000 litres one drop. I really used to admire that motor, Gardner LX150, 6:600 DB box and Guy single drive axle. It ran like a l’al sewing machine ! Cheers Bewick.

Now this is a first class engine from the Gardner firm at Paticroft, Fitted into a 8 wheeler of any make the would enjoy 10 to 12 MPG When fuel was as cheap as chips in the 50s, When there was real good money to be earned, When I first started driving for Baxters, I could earn 20 quid a week in 1956/7 , Starting on a Sunday & running loaded all the time, OK It was hard work & it was all mostley hand ball, But Im 82 years of age now so it didnt do me no harm, Im still here & as fit as a Butchers Dog, As long as I can have a few Drams & a few Steaks with an Oyster Starter I will be a very happy man, Regards Larry.

A couple of Guy BigJ’s operated by British Steel Corporation.

Top pic BSC Stocksbridge Rolls Royce eagle 220,bottom pic Dad Norman graham with his Rotherham works 250 ■■■■■■■ ( downrated for low down Torque) powered ballast tractor,one of seven similar tractors ( my pic)

6FC8DBFA-9BA4-47D1-BF6A-FC954D836BFF.pngGuy bigJ with Maffi trailer loaded with 70ton of billets 130ton gtw

more British steel

A Guy’s operated by Smith of Maddiston at their Alloa depot in 1974

moomooland:

Nice pictures Moomooland,never got to visit Alloa depot in my tramping days with SoM.

David

5thwheel:

moomooland:

Nice pictures Moomooland,never got to visit Alloa depot in my tramping days with SoM.
Nice shots of a great fleet David but looking closely at the B/W shot the o/s front tyre which looks to be wearing badly probably needed tracking. And I note that the drive axle has the Bandag flat recap cases, nowt wrong with them used many of them on the Bewick Fleet. But that front tyre needs sorting out asap !Dennis.

David

moomooland:

The two on the right seem to have much larger silencers, could they be??

Dave…

YES, YES, YES!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Retired Old ■■■■:

We could do with some really really big silencers on this thread. :unamused:

As the saying go’s Lads “Hope springs eternal” !! Those Big J’s of SOM were built before the 8LXB engine was launched ! Good try but “No Cigar” :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
As the saying go’s Lads “Hope springs eternal” !! Those Big J’s of SOM were built before the 8LXB engine was launched ! Good try but “No Cigar” :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

Not being one to query Mr Smith but didn’t the 240 come out in 1972/1973? I recall having a lift in an Atki Borderer of the Golightly Group from Co. Durham and it was on an “L” plate with an 8-pot Gardner and driver was well chuffed.
Best go away like… :laughing:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Not being one to query Mr Smith but didn’t the 240 come out in 1973? I recall having a lift in an Atki Borderer of the Golightly Group from Co. Durham and it was on an “L” plate with an 8-pot Gardner and driver was well chuffed.

Now you can query my drivel anytime Mr. Webb :blush: IIRC the first 8LXB’s appeared on the K Plates late '71 or very early '72 after the truck shows and then generally appearing on the “L” plate in late '72. IIRC there is a shot or two on an earlier thread of a Kinneil Transport 8 LXB K reg “A” Series which the Lad who posted it claims it to have been the first one sold in Scotland which would have been supplied by James Bowen Ltd. who were ERF distributors for all of Scotland at that time. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Not being one to query Mr Smith but didn’t the 240 come out in 1973? I recall having a lift in an Atki Borderer of the Golightly Group from Co. Durham and it was on an “L” plate with an 8-pot Gardner and driver was well chuffed.

Now you can query my drivel anytime Mr. Webb :blush: IIRC the first 8LXB’s appeared on the K Plates late '71 or very early '72 after the truck shows and then generally appearing on the “L” plate in late '72. IIRC there is a shot or two on an earlier thread of a Kinneil Transport 8 LXB K reg “A” Series which the Lad who posted it claims it to have been the first one sold in Scotland which would have been supplied by James Bowen Ltd. who were ERF distributors for all of Scotland at that time. Cheers Dennis.

That’s right Dennis this is my Dad and this is the “A” Series which was on the ERF stand at the 1972 Kelvin Hall Motor Show
Cheers Gary

Coomsey:

Retired Old ■■■■:

We could do with some really really big silencers on this thread. :unamused:

TruckNetUK. Old Time Lorries. Guy. Page 28. VALKYRIE. Wednesday,16th May,2018.

NO! :exclamation: NO! :exclamation: NO! :exclamation: :unamused:

The above photographs show Guy Big J4T Tractive Unit-Articulated Lorries operated by Smith of Maddiston with the original front end sheet
metal styling,and these date from 1964 to around 1971.
All top weight Guy Big J tractive units for the 1971 model year et seq (introduced in 1970) had the new full length square-style, vertical oblong, two piece,fine mesh,radiator grille,which of course included all of the production Guy Big J4T Gardner 8LXB-Engined Tractive Units,including the one of 29 actually built,in the Peter Davies photograph below:-

Classic Truck,October 2017.In-depth article on Guy Big J Lorry Range,by Peter Davies on pages 18-24.Photograph of a Smith Of Maddiston Guy Big J4T Gardner 8LXB Tractive Unit-Artic,OWG 852M,on the front & in article.

Don’t take any notice of the misguided and wrong cynics: I have authentic objective proof of the 29 Guy Big J4T Gardner 8LXB Tractive Units that were actually built by Guy Motors Limited,Wolverhampton,WV10 9QF,from 1973 to 1975. :slight_smile:

The Guy Big J4T Gardner 8LXB Tractive Unit Mystery is solved. Really.

So let’s move on to another mystery now. :slight_smile:

VALKYRIE