Guy Big J's with Cummins V6 engines

Howabout looking for a 40ft Highway semi-trailer with widespread axles and shod on supersingle Good-Year tyres!!! Bewick.

Hiya …if you pop onto the South Wales site and go to page 39/40 you,ll see a fine photo of said guy V6 its the one you can see
the rockers as the covers are missing.
John

3300John:
Hiya …if you pop onto the South Wales site and go to page 39/40 you,ll see a fine photo of said guy V6 its the one you can see
the rockers as the covers are missing.
John

Thanks for that John!Well at least we have the photographic evidence,however tenuous!!! Cough,cough,wink,wink which is more than we got of the 8LXB!!!Dennis.

Well you learn something everyday, walk through cab eh, I would like to see a picture, even if Bewick doesn’t. The V8 was the Vale engine I believe, so was the V6 just a shortened version of this.?

Hi,
At BRS we had several J’s fitted with the V6, they were nearly all 66 D reg but were very unreliable (head gaskets) but that is right that they were walk through cabs. You had to unbolt so much stuff to tilt the cab it was hardly worth it because there was only 2 mounting bolts remaining holding the cab on. We also had some with fitted with the Perkins V8 these were later models about 72 that also had the walk through floor, this had a central hatch about 3’ square to access the engine. I think they had a turner box with a 2 speed axle with Dunlop anti lock rear brakes, of these I can remember COM 977K, COG—K and EOG 490L EOG 491L one of which is pictured in Nick Baldwins BRS book.
It was almost the same running gear as the mastiff but in a stronger chassis,Running at 26t. the mastiffs we had often broke engine mounts, bell housings and exhaust downpipes , injector pipes broke almost daily ! but the Guy at 28t never seemed to have these issues.

Trev_H:
Hi,
At BRS we had several J’s fitted with the V6, they were nearly all 66 D reg but were very unreliable (head gaskets) but that is right that they were walk through cabs. You had to unbolt so much stuff to tilt the cab it was hardly worth it because there was only 2 mounting bolts remaining holding the cab on. We also had some with fitted with the Perkins V8 these were later models about 72 that also had the walk through floor, this had a central hatch about 3’ square to access the engine. I think they had a turner box with a 2 speed axle with Dunlop anti lock rear brakes, of these I can remember COM 977K, COG—K and EOG 490L EOG 491L one of which is pictured in Nick Baldwins BRS book.
It was almost the same running gear as the mastiff but in a stronger chassis,Running at 26t. the mastiffs we had often broke engine mounts, bell housings and exhaust downpipes , injector pipes broke almost daily ! but the Guy at 28t never seemed to have these issues.

Hiya Trev youv’e just jogged the old “grey matter” and if I re-call the Mastiff chassis was indeed a Guy chassis or I was told it was at the time.Would they have been made by GKN?Cheers Dennis.

When we took the V6 out of one of our Guys this is the engine we put back in!!! Dennis.

Is that a Detroit Dennis?

Bewick:

Trev_H:
Hi,

Hiya Trev youv’e just jogged the old “grey matter” and if I re-call the Mastiff chassis was indeed a Guy chassis or I was told it was at the time.Would they have been made by GKN?Cheers Dennis.

I believe the chassis sides were made at John Thompson motor pressings at Wolverhampton who also made some of the Volvo and Scania frames alongside land rover, range rover and taxi cab frames. They also made many truck axle casings including Foden, Albion ,Leyland etc.A local haulier I worked for ,Thomas Ingles, transported all their goods .

Dieseldogsix:

It was a “Caterpillar” gen.set one of a number we loaded straight out of the 747 freighter at Heathrow during the 3 day week in 73/74.It was delivered to K Shoes factory in Kendal but they were never allowed to fire it up and plug it in by the Electric board as it turned out.I was told it was £100,000 worth in those days!!You shouldn’t have mentioned DDs you’ll have “Carryfast” blowing his biscuit all over his key board!!!Dennis.

Bewick:

Dieseldogsix:

It was a “Caterpillar” gen.set one of a number we loaded straight out of the 747 freighter at Heathrow during the 3 day week in 73/74.It was delivered to K Shoes factory in Kendal but they were never allowed to fire it up and plug it in by the Electric board as it turned out.I was told it was £100,000 worth in those days!!You shouldn’t have mentioned DDs you’ll have “Carryfast” blowing his biscuit all over his key board!!!Dennis.

He may have choked on the crumbs seeing that :smiley:

This is a GUY fitted with the ■■■■■■■ V6, the picture is taken from the book The Illustrated History of GUY Trucks and Buses, written by Anthony Guy. An excellent book on the GUY story but I was a bit dissapointed with the Big J coverage, this is the only pic in the book and the write up says, ‘In September 1964 the new GUY Big J range of heavy vehicles was announced featuring the powerful and compact 9.6 litre ■■■■■■■ V6 diesel engine, although alternative power units were made progressively available. A new style cab was also introduced’.
The last line on the engine probably says it all but I doubt if GUY would admit they dropped a clanger with the V6. We also have to remember an engine in 1964 with 170 or 192 BHP would be considered powerful and it certainly was compact. This same picture also appears in the 1966 version of the Observers Commercial Vehicles book but in the two years difference quotes alternative engines as Gardner 6LX, AEC 505 or AEC 471, BHP’s 150, 155 and 143, Twenty Horses or so less than the ■■■■■■■ V6-170, so you can see how the ■■■■■■■ might have seemed more favourable then.
Just a word on the ■■■■■■■ V engines, the D1000 was powered by the ■■■■■■■ Vale V8 which had appeared by 1964, although the D1000 was introduced in 1967, Ford offered their own V8 about a year later which was actually the Perkins V8.510 built under licence as an alternative to the ■■■■■■■■ The Dodge V8 was fitted with the Chrysler which was in fact the ■■■■■■■ Vale built under licence. However this engine proved unpopular and was replaced by the Perkins V8.410 in answer to demand. Confusing! I don’t think GUY went for the V8 but fitted the straight six engines, ■■■■■■■■ AEC, Gardner and Rolls, but the ‘walk-thru’ option was lost. Cheers Franky.

Bewick:
Seeing that the 8LXB search has died a death I have been interested in the short lived spec involving the ■■■■■■■ V6 engine in the early Big Js.I believe that after Jaguar bought out Guy Motors and launched the Big J the idea was that the V6 ■■■■■■■ was to have been the standard engine and was to have been a joint venture between the two firms.However I think that the takeover by Leyland of Jaguar brought the venture to a premature end but I think the combination was already doomed because of the unreliability of the V6.Does anyone have any first hand experience of this model of Big J? I have noticed a few factory publicity shots on the site which appear to be very early ones prior to the Leyland T/O.Who knows --this thread could run as long as the last one on Big Js.Bewick.

Hi Dennis,

Good to have you back,and on the “mend”.

When I came off nights @ SoM,I went tramping with a Big J with a 220 ■■■■■■■ in it,that was a flying machine,split Fullers box,you didnt need the clutch,get the revs right and it just slipped in and out,so to speak,great combination,had it for a couple of years,before going back on nights with a new ERF,with a you know what Gardner!

Take it easy until you are 100%,

Rgds,

David :laughing:

5thwheel:

Bewick:
Seeing that the 8LXB search has died a death I have been interested in the short lived spec involving the ■■■■■■■ V6 engine in the early Big Js.I believe that after Jaguar bought out Guy Motors and launched the Big J the idea was that the V6 ■■■■■■■ was to have been the standard engine and was to have been a joint venture between the two firms.However I think that the takeover by Leyland of Jaguar brought the venture to a premature end but I think the combination was already doomed because of the unreliability of the V6.Does anyone have any first hand experience of this model of Big J? I have noticed a few factory publicity shots on the site which appear to be very early ones prior to the Leyland T/O.Who knows --this thread could run as long as the last one on Big Js.Bewick.

Hi Dennis,

When I came off nights @ SoM,I went tramping with a Big J with a 220 ■■■■■■■ in it,that was a flying machine,split Fullers box,you didnt need the clutch,get the revs right and it just slipped in and out,so to speak,great combination,had it for a couple of years,before going back on nights with a new ERF,with a you know what Gardner!

Rgds,

Thanks David,on the mend and feeling a bit better.Just shows you mate a thread can be conjured up out of any obscure item! and the BigJ ■■■■■■■ V6 certainly qualifies on that count.I won’t ask the obvious!!!(did SOM run any?)disregard that last remark!! Cheers Dennis.

5thwheel:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis,

Rgds,

Thanks David,on the mend and feeling a bit better.Just shows you mate a thread can be conjured up out of any obscure item! and the BigJ ■■■■■■■ V6 certainly qualifies on that count.I won’t ask the obvious!!!(did SOM run any?)disregard that last remark!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Hiya Dave how yer going?OK I hope!

Yep, I’m well Den, and hope I can say the same for you ? Have sent you a P.M. I like to keep in touch privately, in case you want to leave me anything in your will, like an old Big J with a …engine in it !!! :smiling_imp: :unamused:

Bewick:
Howabout looking for a 40ft Highway semi-trailer with widespread axles and shod on supersingle Good-Year tyres!!! Bewick.

I know this threads about V6 Guys, but as you mentioned Highway trailers Den, this is your fault !!!

Highway were at Eastleigh,in the old airport ( long gone now ) and S.O.M. bought a load of them. As we were just up the road from Highways, we use to go collect them and use 'em straight away. The '40 ft spreads, with the twin wheels were great, but with the super-singles, use to bounce around a bit M/T, but all in all, they were a good trailer ( wouldn’t want the tyre bill thought !1 ). Worse one’s were the '33 ft super-singles, alloy frame / ply-wood decking, did you run any like that ?. They may have been one of the lightest trailers out, but you had a hell of a job keeping anything on 'em. I collect a brand new one, ran to Hythe (Southampton ) for a load of drums out of Union Carbide, usual thing, 4 across bed, full deck load, and a row of toppers down the centre, drum hitch on the rear tier, folded fly sheet over the toppers, roped front and back with a couple in between for luck ! you get the picture ? Got as far as Banbury…Jesus…half the deck drums on the N/S were hanging over the edge, couldn’t believe it, took ages to get 'em back in again, time I got to the Lincoln Farm, half the bleeders were back out ! Ended up with a a full set of sheets and 2 miles of ropes to hold on to 'em… They may well have been the lightest trailer on the market, but I avoided them like the plague, give me a Boden '33 ft any day…

Whoop’s … posted twice ! :blush:

Fergie47:

Bewick:
Hiya Dave how yer going?OK I hope!

Yep, I’m well Den, and hope I can say the same for you ? Have sent you a P.M. I like to keep in touch privately, in case you want to leave me anything in your will, like an old Big J with a …engine in it !!! :smiling_imp: :unamused:

Bewick:

I know this threads about V6 Guys, but as you mentioned Highway trailers Den, this is your fault !!!

Highway were at Eastleigh,in the old airport ( long gone now ) and S.O.M. bought a load of them. As we were just up the road from Highways, we use to go collect them and use 'em straight away. The '40 ft spreads, with the twin wheels were great, but with the super-singles, use to bounce around a bit M/T, but all in all, they were a good trailer ( wouldn’t want the tyre bill thought !1 ). Worse one’s were the '33 ft super-singles, alloy frame / ply-wood decking, did you run any like that ?. They may have been one of the lightest trailers out, but you had a hell of a job keeping anything on 'em. I collect a brand new one, ran to Hythe (Southampton ) for a load of drums out of Union Carbide, usual thing, 4 across bed, full deck load, and a row of toppers down the centre, drum hitch on the rear tier, folded fly sheet over the toppers, roped front and back with a couple in between for luck ! you get the picture ? Got as far as Banbury…Jesus…half the deck drums on the N/S were hanging over the edge, couldn’t believe it, took ages to get 'em back in again, time I got to the Lincoln Farm, half the bleeders were back out ! Ended up with a a full set of sheets and 2 miles of ropes to hold on to 'em… They may well have been the lightest trailer on the market, but I avoided them like the plague, give me a Boden '33 ft any day…

I thought I would “smoke” you out Dave if I mentioned Highway trailers!!! I knew they were built in Hampshire and that SOM were big users but I never had anything to do with them,I stuck with firstly York and then CF followed by Task (■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Frankydobo:
I don’t think GUY went for the V8 but fitted the straight six engines, ■■■■■■■■ AEC, Gardner and Rolls, but the ‘walk-thru’ option was lost. Cheers Frank

Frank, In 1972 they fitted the Perkins V8 and it had the walk through cab, the extra space in the cab was great for nights out, plenty of room for a bunk.
Guy always quote 1964 as the date they made the first big j but I never saw one earlier than 1966 D reg. BRS were still getting Invincables from them in 66 with the 180 ■■■■■■■ in and the first big j’s came after them.
The big j’s we got were fitted with ■■■■■■■ 170v6 ,220,290,335. Gardner 150,180. Rolls eagle 220, 280, AEC 470,505. Perkins V8 510.
Leyland 500 fixed head (yuk!) There were other engine options available, I think R.K. Crisp had some with 350 ■■■■■■■ fitted :open_mouth:

sammyopisite:

Bewick:

Dieseldogsix:

He may have choked on the crumbs seeing that :smiley:

Maybe someone might have bought it cheap afterwards to see if it would fit it in a Big J. :laughing: :laughing: But the yanks sometimes say that the best use for ■■■■■■■ V engines is for boat anchors and having driven a wagon with a 555 in it they’re probably not even worth wasting the space on the boat for that :laughing: :laughing: .