Guy Big-Js on long-haul work

robert1952:
Further up the page I showed a Toprun picture of a stricken '60s-registered Guy on what looks like the Tahir pass. I’ve found another of it with a rather more dramatic context. The trailer appears to be a Eurofleet rental trailer. Great pic! Robert10

Robert,

Just trawling through this thread again,just noticed the Big J with serious damage,with its tilt in one picture on its side,second picture shows it twisted,but back on its feet.

David

Prob not on long-haul work in Paul Gee’s picture, but the big cab and the TIR-plate possibly indicate some channel-hopping at the very least (though I am aware that it was fashionable to stick TIR-plates on anything bigger than a trades bike in the '70s)! Robert

2017-06-24%2016.06.05.jpg

On pages 1 & 2 of this thread I expressed an interest in LHD Big-Js exhibited at the motor show in the mid-'60s. Here is a picture clearly taken at a motor show in 1969, again with LHD. Odd they never caught on. Notice the Trilex wheels! Robert

Robert,
Would the tahir photos not show a twisted but standing tilt, then show the tilt on its side after being knocked over by a plough or digger or by the snow under its o/s wheels/legs melting?

Once it had tipped and been righted the load would be all over the floor, and there only looks to be snow on the ground?

Just my take on it?

Such famous pictures,shame no one knows the details or outcome.

Steve.

vwvanman0:
Robert,
Would the tahir photos not show a twisted but standing tilt, then show the tilt on its side after being knocked over by a plough or digger or by the snow under its o/s wheels/legs melting?

Once it had tipped and been righted the load would be all over the floor, and there only looks to be snow on the ground?

Just my take on it?

Such famous pictures,shame no one knows the details or outcome.

Steve.

In the picture on this thread, the unit masks the area of ground where you might expect to see the load burst through the roof. There may be other explanations: the load may be lightweight or the trailer might be empty. There are a number of other shots of this incident on the various Middle-East threads on here. You might like to undertake a spot of detective work! Robert

robert1952:
I mentioned lower-end power units earlier on the page and I am aware that we have debated the use of Gardner 8LXB 240bhp units ad infinitum, nay ad nauseam (!) on this forum. But for the record, here is painting of one!

my first motor after passing my test at 21,still remember it well,MD910,thats me sitting in it,retiring soon,miss the old days.

loader8:

robert1952:
I mentioned lower-end power units earlier on the page and I am aware that we have debated the use of Gardner 8LXB 240bhp units ad infinitum, nay ad nauseam (!) on this forum. But for the record, here is painting of one!

my first motor after passing my test at 21,still remember it well,MD910,thats me sitting in it,retiring soon,miss the old days.

I take it the 240 8LXB pulled well then. Strewth, I’d better get my tin hat on! :open_mouth: Robert :laughing:

Now looking for a Big J/420 ■■■■■■■■■■■■ splitter. Certified photos only, please, to Half ■■■■ Hauliers Ltd, ■■■■■■■■

One wonders what became of these odd LHD Guy Big-Js. Robert

could be my phone

Wheel Nut:
could be my phone

Well it might be. There again it might not be. :unamused:

Bumped up for pv83, who kindly posted the two pics below on another thread this evening. Ro

Screenshot_20210407-065910_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210407-065915_Samsung Internet.jpg

Cheers, I knew there was a thread, but couldn’t find it :unamused:

Are those ex-Pickfords? There are some with that cab conversion in their livery, elsewhere on the Forum. I always assumed they were crew cabs, for machinery removals jobs, to carry the various engineers and technicians required to strip the machines down, and set them up again. It looks like those red ones have a second bunk fitted. If that is the case, they are very spacious cabs indeed, for the period- 1976 is 2 years prior to Le Centaure.

[zb]
anorak:
Are those ex-Pickfords? There are some with that cab conversion in their livery, elsewhere on the Forum. I always assumed they were crew cabs, for machinery removals jobs, to carry the various engineers and technicians required to strip the machines down, and set them up again. It looks like those red ones have a second bunk fitted. If that is the case, they are very spacious cabs indeed, for the period- 1976 is 2 years prior to Le Centaure.

You’re right, I think the Pickfords one(s) were crew cabs and the registration numbers match. But the ones in the picture below appear to have been turned into sleepers. Those numbers match too! So they’re all Pickfords, I reckon. Ro

31867756728_3a81992fb4_z.jpg
guy004-001.jpg

Brian Watt Transport did long distance with Guys Big J’s. Article from 1969.

Click on twice to read.

NMP off FB

This one turned up in Iran, if the caption is anything to go by!

055-TransUK-Iran,medium_large.1622097742.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
This one turned up in Iran, if the caption is anything to go by!

Probably still being used on internals :slight_smile: