GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

They’re no good as boat anchors ,they leak too much oil ,lol regards a well pi$$ed Dan . :laughing:

Aye Larry my friend we are on the same wave length, always have been over the years we have 'craic’d on this site and if wise areses like “CF” have never operated by the “the seat of their boiler suits” they can never, nor will ever, appreciate what blood sweat and tears went into to making “a go” of the job so ■■■■ 'em mate is what I say ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: All the best and Cheers Dennis.

Punchy Dan:
They’re no good as boat anchors ,they leak too much oil ,lol regards a well pi$$ed Dan . :laughing:

Oh aye ! two bottles of Newky Broon and your ■■■■■■ ! :blush: :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan, When you said well ■■■■■■■ May I ask what you were drinking, Im kind of half ■■■■■■ at the moment Ive had a couple of pints of Carlings Lager & several Single Malts, HIC HIC, Regards Larry. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan, When you said well ■■■■■■■ May I ask what you were drinking, Im kind of half ■■■■■■ at the moment Ive had a couple of pints of Carlings Lager & several Single Malts, HIC HIC, Regards Larry. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Leffe blonde Larry , making room for more Bradfield brewery farmers blonde , celebrating being 40 but dwelling on my 3l v6 s line Quattro pride and joy that today got reversed over today by a tipper trailer not my doing I was working at chatsworth at the time :cry:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Give the lad a chance Larry ,if he supped that lot the Foden would be parked up until Tuesday eh! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: But you’d be up and away at 5 am to-morrow morning eh! Cheers Dennis. PS well at least you can still hit the right keys on the board ! Dan’l is smacking the Dollar signs ! :open_mouth: he’s obviously watching a “Smokey and the Bandit” movie again !! that VCR must be knackered by now surely :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Leffe blonde Larry , making room for more Bradfield brewery farmers blonde , celebrating being 40 but dwelling on my 3l v6 s line Quattro pride and joy that today got reversed over today by a tipper trailer not my doing I was working at chatsworth at the time :cry:

Oh! dear Dan’l another bad day at the office ! Been there a few times over the years mate but as long as no one was hurt ! What a ■■■■■■ but that’s life and it’s Ok for you Larry and me can give you a few years ( well Larry one or two more than me :wink: ) That drink you mention sounds a bit “suspect” Mate what strength is it 2% maybe ? :blush: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Oh! dear Dan’l another bad day at the office ! Been there a few times over the years mate but as long as no one was hurt ! What a ■■■■■■ but that’s life and it’s Ok for you Larry and me can give you a few years ( well Larry one or two more than me :wink: ) That drink you mention sounds a bit “suspect” Mate what strength is it 2% maybe ? :blush: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis 2%, Thats not even Maidens water strength,My sweat is stronger than that Eh, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

Looks about 6.6% from here :neutral_face:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan, 6.6% Sounds good to me, A few of those & a few single Malts & Im anybodys, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Im on the Malts tonight 40 volt Lochlomond stuff, Fit for the Drivers never mind the Gods, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , Regards Larry.

Well he is only a lad at 40 Larry eh! give him a chance ! I recall my 40th ( 1987) in our fav Eye Tye restaurant in Kendal , Anne organised a “Stripper gram” Bird and she was a right ■■■■■■■ “handful” our guests about 30 of them thought it was hilarious at my expense ! :open_mouth: :wink: dern’t put the phots on here the lads will go mad and the Mods will blow me out !! Cheers Dennis.

Punchy Dan:

Double vision it should read .6 % I believe ! :blush:

Bewick:
Sorry to [zb] your logic up “CF” but at the date of the CM article on Scanias I was a lowly O/D making my way in the industry with a 16ton gvw Ford D1000 22 ft flat ! So your piffle about this motor or that was way above my pay grade at that time as I was too busy grafting hard making my way in the industry ! An experience which going by the Bollox you continually spout you will never have experienced ! I know I am capable of talking out of of my arse at times but the difference is I can be forgiven because I operated at the sharp end for many years whereas you my Son have always travelled on someone else’s back i.e. read “employer” and will very definitely have been a right [zb] pain the arse as an employee ! So I will defer to your superior knowledge of the market place in 1969 as I was too busy earning a living ! Incidentally how old were you in 1969 ? Bewick.

It’s obvious that we’re not discussing the situation of yours or SoM’s for example buying choices as they stood in 1969.

While the question of speccing NA ■■■■■■■■■■ 240,let alone 180 Gardner,in anything from the early-mid 1970’s remains.While as I said in 1975 at least I’d just started work for a truck manufacturing operation.On that note if it had been me running any of the Brit manufacturers including Guy,by that time,you’d have got the choice of just turbo Rolls or ■■■■■■■ in the Big J etc,take it or leave it.In just the same way that anyone asking the Swedes to put a Gardner in an F88 etc would have been told to do one.While standing by the idea that it was that mistake which was a large factor in the down fall of the Brit truck manufacturing industry.

Bewick:
Well he is only a lad at 40 Larry eh! give him a chance ! I recall my 40th ( 1987) in our fav Eye Tye restaurant in Kendal , Anne organised a “Stripper gram” Bird and she was a right [zb] “handful” our guests about 30 of them thought it was hilarious at my expense ! :open_mouth: :wink: dern’t put the phots on here the lads will go mad and the Mods will blow me out !! Cheers Dennis.

Blimey Dennis, your only three years older than me then! Good to know I’m not the only youngster on here! :laughing: Only met Dan once briefly but I reckon he is an ‘old 40’ like his dad, unlike Larry and yourself. :laughing: Only 40 eh Dan, I’ve stuff in the freezer older than that. :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

Bewick:
Well he is only a lad at 40 Larry eh! give him a chance ! I recall my 40th ( 1987) in our fav Eye Tye restaurant in Kendal , Anne organised a “Stripper gram” Bird and she was a right [zb] “handful” our guests about 30 of them thought it was hilarious at my expense ! :open_mouth: :wink: dern’t put the phots on here the lads will go mad and the Mods will blow me out !! Cheers Dennis.

Blimey Dennis, your only three years older than me then! Good to know I’m not the only youngster on here! :laughing: Only met Dan once briefly but I reckon he is an ‘old 40’ like his dad, unlike Larry and yourself. :laughing: Only 40 eh Dan, I’ve stuff in the freezer older than that. :wink:

Pete.

Aye Pete but I’ve had a harder life than you ! :confused: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Carryfast:
… if it had been me running any of the Brit manufacturers including Guy,by that time,you’d have got the choice of just turbo Rolls or ■■■■■■■ in the Big J etc,take it or leave it.

Easily said with the benefit of hindsight. :wink:

dieseldave:

Carryfast:
… if it had been me running any of the Brit manufacturers including Guy,by that time,you’d have got the choice of just turbo Rolls or ■■■■■■■ in the Big J etc,take it or leave it.

With hindsight we all have 20:20 vision :wink:

Bewick:
Aye Pete but I’ve had a harder life than you ! :confused: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Now remind me, just where have I heard THAT said before? Oh yes, got it now, from every employer I worked for! :unamused: :wink:

Pete.

Spud1960:

dieseldave:

Carryfast:

With hindsight we all have 20:20 vision :wink:

To be fair my old Dad had already taught me that ( reliable ) BMEP in a motor is king even before that point in time and he would have told that young upstart Bewick same. :smiling_imp: :wink: :laughing:

In which case 240 Gardner at around 50 lb/ft per litre being a boat anchor,compared to 280 Rolls at least,at around 70 lb/ft per litre +,stands.In addition to it obviously not needing a load of extra engine stuck out the back of the cab. :bulb:

windrush:

Bewick:

Pete.

It’s not only me , Mike p was also 40 yesterday too :neutral_face: