GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

Bewick:
But then the next problem will be persuading you to part with it for what ? a build sheet with no Photos ? What a waste of good money but then again “easy come easy go” :cry: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Old Denzil.

In view of the fact that the ‘museum’ wouldn’t want to be seen to be ‘in on’ this hoax ( trying to pass off after market Bitsas as the gunuine article ) surely they’d at least want to give us all the supposed build sheets, covering all the supposed ‘factory production’ numbers for the 50 quid. :smiling_imp: :unamused: :laughing:

To conclude much better idea than a NA ■■■■■■■ anchor.
Bleedin stupidly expensive gutless idea compared to a turbo ■■■■■■■ or RR.
Factory came to the same conclusion.If you’re silly enough to want one then it’s special order retro fit only thereby ensuring one of the rarest trucks ever to hit the roads.Unsurprisingly the only evidence of its existence is myth, legend and hearsay.
The end. :bulb: :wink:

Well said and good on you “CF” my Son ! :wink: One thing is certain though that by your entry onto this thread you will have curtailed or possibly stopped altogether any further nonsense continuing from the “Believers” who I doubt very much would wish to take issue with what would be your endless diatribe on the Big J 8LXB debacle ! So you do have your uses even if I say it myself ! So Happy New Year and stay safe Mate ! Cheers Bewick. :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
Make it £20 now plus another for a real photo :open_mouth: old Denzil may be here not for ever :laughing: :wink: :blush:

You’ve obviously “been down the back of the sofa” Dan’l and megged up another tenner so keep looking and you will, should, amass the other 30 notes to make up the £50 !! :wink: But then the next problem will be persuading you to part with it for what ? a build sheet with no Photos ? What a waste of good money but then again “easy come easy go” :cry: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Old Denzil.

Plus another £10 :laughing:

Another £10 from me too :wink: mind you i am on the fence on this one but the suspense is getting the better of me :smiley: :astonished:

E.W.

Bewick:
Oh! no! we’re not trying to beat life into this “dead horse” after what will be 12 years this year and still no photographic evidence has been produced ! I wonder what odds Ladbrokes would give me on a trifecta for a photo of Elvis & Hitler sat in an 8LXB engine Big J ? Probably have a fair chance of “clocking” the first two but doubtful about their mode of transport ! :cry: Or perhaps there may have been a far better chance of getting a shot of Santa on his slay pulled by 8 Reindeer ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: 8 Reindeer ! :wink: PMSL !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

I notice you are not requiring confirmation from any driver or fitter that worked on them…dear me Dennis!

David

Sorry to have to advise you David but “CF” has taken over from me on the Big J 8LXB photo quest ! I am confident he will take up his duties with his usual boundless enthusiasm he applies to all his TN threads ! :confused: Happy New year and stay safe ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Sorry to have to advise you David but “CF” has taken over from me on the Big J 8LXB photo quest ! I am confident he will take up his duties with his usual boundless enthusiasm he applies to all his TN threads ! :confused: Happy New year and stay safe ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

You won’t get away from it that easy Denzil,you will have to reimburse all those who paid in when the evidence arrives :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

I got a phone call from an old family friend which went along the lines of you can only go out for food shopping now if you’re at the point of starving.Even worse the supermarket can’t sell any beer let alone spirits to go with my ration of sandwiches. :open_mouth:
She knows that I refuse to listen to the propaganda broadcasts so don’t know if it was a wind up or if she was genuinely confused about what Boris had said.But can’t afford to add to my meagre stocks even if I wanted to. :laughing:

Bewick:

To be fair I did say that it would have been a better idea than ordering an NA ■■■■■■■ in it ‘if’ Gardner’s dyno could be believed.Which doesn’t help our case. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Nothing to suggest that everything else wasn’t all special order retro fit only from that point Bearing in mind a finely balanced cost v reward equation for potential buyers combined with a known supply issue for the factory meaning a long wait for customers and unfinished trucks taking root waiting for engines.

While 50 quid for one build sheet seems like an extortionate diversion to sabotage the search for hard evidence. :wink:

Carryfast:

Bewick:

To be fair I did say that it would have been a better idea than ordering an NA ■■■■■■■ in it ‘if’ Gardner’s dyno could be believed.Which doesn’t help our case. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Nothing to suggest that everything else wasn’t all special order retro fit only from that point Bearing in mind a finely balanced cost v reward equation for potential buyers combined with a known supply issue for the factory meaning a long wait for customers and unfinished trucks taking root waiting for engines.

While 50 quid for one build sheet seems like an extortionate diversion to sabotage the search for hard evidence. :wink:

I think we’ve been through all this before haven’t we? There are at least three categories of relevant retro-fit:

(a) Factory retrofit before vehicle leaves the premises
(b) Dealer retrofit with full support of manufacturer
(c) Later retro-fit by operator

Wouldn’t an (a) or (b) retrofit surely count as a fully legitimate ‘count’? It matters little that no 8LXB was officially offered as an option in the brochures (if that is indeed the case), as brochures should reflect real-life practice, not dictate company policy. A point to chew on!

Bewick:

Hi Dennis,
Secret footage from a Leatherhead lock up :wink:

pete smith:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis,

:laughing: brilliant! It’ll have a 400bhp Detroit screamer in it then :wink:

pete smith:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis,

I told CF not to roll it out until it was well on the way to being finished Pete. But as in all things he insists on “doing his own thing” ■■■■ ! But he mainly enjoys sitting in the cab and making a noise like a DD the inside of the screen really does need wipers as it is a hell of a mess ! PS I believe the exhaust smoke is coming from the Atky in the background :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

ERF-NGC-European:
There are at least three categories of relevant retro-fit:

(a) Factory retrofit before vehicle leaves the premises
(b) Dealer retrofit with full support of manufacturer
(c) Later retro-fit by operator

Wouldn’t an (a) or (b) retrofit surely count as a fully legitimate ‘count’? It matters little that no 8LXB was officially offered as an option in the brochures (if that is indeed the case), as brochures should reflect real-life practice, not dictate company policy. A point to chew on!

Ironically I think we’ve got evidence that the factory did publicise the option.
I’d guess that then met the reality of NA engines becoming obsolete in the eyes of some operators while many of the remaining die hards just went for the easy option of 6LXB or NA ■■■■■■■ and maybe RR.

If the unfinished vehicle never left the factory what would have been the point of any ‘retro fit’.It’s not leaving the factory so why bother fitting it with the wrong spec needing retro fit to put right ?.

As for (b) and (c) whatever their provenence they obviously wouldn’t have been factory built 8LXB Big J’s ?.

To be fair I think Bewick’s case hinges on the question of just how bad/difficult 8 LXB engine supplies really were regards Guy Motors.Combined with how many of its customers would have said it has to be that motor in it or nothing obviously then resulting in the question of would it have been (a), (b) or (c) being the logical solution to that.
Assuming the worse case supply scenario then (b) and more likely (c) seems the logical conclusion .
While assuming that issue wasn’t as bad as being suggested then I’d guess that (a), obviously with no need for any retro fit, sounds crdible.
Subject to seeing those build sheets without having to pay 50 quid :open_mouth: each for the privilege. :wink:

Carryfast:
If the unfinished vehicle never left the factory what would have been the point of any ‘retro fit’.It’s not leaving the factory so why bother fitting it with the wrong spec needing retro fit to put right ?.

?

I’ve got it- you used Google Translate, to go from [zb] to Double Dutch, then back to [zb]?

====================
Mod’s edit:
The reason you needed the asterisks is that you were trying to get a banned word past the auto censor, the asterisks don’t suddenly make the word acceptable. :laughing:

The word “■■■■■■■■” isn’t banned though, so a try of the ‘preview’ feature might help!

There’s a clue in the title… “auto censor” means it’s… err… automatic, so it doesn’t need any help thanks. : :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:

Carryfast:

?

I’ve got it- you used Google Translate, to go from [zb] to Double Dutch, then back to [zb]?

No one is saying that fitting it with a ■■■■■■■ engine on the line, then park it out in the factory yard for a month or six waiting for the Gardner that the customer ordered, then take the ■■■■■■■ out and fit the Gardner, then deliver it, doesn’t make perfect sense to some.

As opposed to a delayed WIP owing to engine supply issues.Which doesn’t translate as Retrofit in any language. :unamused:

Carryfast:

[zb]
anorak:

Carryfast:

?

No one is saying that fitting it with a ■■■■■■■ engine on the line, then park it out in the factory yard for a month or six waiting for the Gardner that the customer ordered, then take the ■■■■■■■ out and fit the Gardner, then deliver it, doesn’t make perfect sense to some.

As opposed to a delayed WIP owing to engine supply issues.Which doesn’t translate as Retrofit in any language. :unamused:

It won’t make much sense to the factory either but in real life things like that do happen. Probably more with gearboxes than engines of course but the option I gave was perfectly valid, simply because it is possible.

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

[zb]
anorak:

It won’t make much sense to the factory either but in real life things like that do happen. Probably more with gearboxes than engines of course but the option I gave was perfectly valid, simply because it is possible.

To be fair advocating either potential scenario didn’t warrant Anorak’s reply.

We also can’t discount the possibility of ( d ) some not all left the factory with ■■■■■■■ and were sent back to the factory, not dealer, for retro fit 8LXB.The factory possibly using a number of slave ■■■■■■■ motors kept specifically for the eventuality to deal with the problem of erratic Gardner engine availability.That scenario I’d categorise as the real deal. :wink:

Whatever the answer I’m surprised that a lot more weren’t put together by whatever method a, b, c or d.Bearing in mind the known difference in lifetime operating costs of 8LXB v ■■■■■■■ ?.
Which gives credence to Bewick’s reference to engine availibilty being the problem and which shouldn’t be underestimated. :bulb:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

[zb]
anorak:

To be fair advocating either potential scenario didn’t warrant Anorak’s reply.

We also can’t discount the possibility of ( d ) some not all left the factory with ■■■■■■■ and were sent back to the factory, not dealer, for retro fit 8LXB.The factory possibly using a number of slave ■■■■■■■ motors kept specifically for the eventuality to deal with the problem of erratic Gardner engine availability.That scenario I’d categorise as the real deal. :wink:

Whatever the answer I’m surprised that a lot more weren’t put together by whatever method a, b, c or d.Bearing in mind the known difference in lifetime operating costs of 8LXB v ■■■■■■■ ?.
Which gives credence to Bewick’s reference to engine availibilty being the problem and which shouldn’t be underestimated. :bulb:

Heaven’s! You’ve moved the argument from ‘did Guy do the 8LXB?’ to ‘was Guy wise to do it?’! Guy Big-Js came with 290 ■■■■■■■ and 9-sp Fuller attached. That’s the spec I’d have gone for and all that’s well-documented. I suspect you’d have opted for the same. But that’s not the argument of this thread. The argument is quite simply: did Guy (BL) put 8LXBs in Big-Js? End of.

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

Heaven’s! You’ve moved the argument from ‘did Guy do the 8LXB?’ to ‘was Guy wise to do it?’!

:confused:

My position is clearly an advocate for Bewick’s understandable view that engine supply issues, among other possibilities, say it didn’t happen.

I’ve then given reasons as to why that may be correct or it may not be.

I don’t think that taking the thing back to the dealer for retrofit, let alone DIY, retrofit fits the description of a factory order and built 8LXB Big J.Although it just might be possible that 8LXB options were all stated as having to be dealer retro fit only at point of ordering.

Ironically I actually changed my view regarding the 8LXB to the point of why would any customer have ordered any of the other ‘NA options’ in the Big J or anything else ‘if’ Gardner’s dyno figures and reputation for fuel economy and durability are to be believed.
What’s that got to do with Guy itself they would have fitted whichever option the customer ordered.
For some reason that seems to be at best remarkably few if any 8LXB powered versions v all the other NA engined types.
Strange for an engine with that combination of output and life time running costs. :confused: