Greetings, and questions a plenty!

Work, work, work and more work from more than one source - is the first thing you should be confident of getting then costs , costs costs, know inside out your daily/weekly outgoings , compare the work you know you can get, to your costs before you spend a penny. Knowing your margins is everything, and in transport too many are finding out that a single problem a week wipes out their profit margins, it is that tight. 50K will easily get you set up with a truck and the legal bits and a few months running costs, but if you cant find the work or the rates don’t cover your costs then that 50K will soon disappear.

following…
just one think…
i believe that i dont need operators CPC if i pay to transport manager to manage me? am i wrong?

LL79:
following…
just one think…
i believe that i dont need operators CPC if i pay to transport manager to manage me? am i wrong?

You are correct but that way madness lies…

If you are setting up as a new company then you are putting your entire set up in the hands of someone else. That’s fine if it works out but the opportunities for it to go badly wrong are also there. They may not share your values in work ethics, legality, honesty, compliance, tax or any one of a million reasons to have a row. (Remember he/she can always resign)

If you are new and inexperienced and/or unknowledgeable then there is the distinct possibility you could end up in gaol without actually understanding the reason why you are there.

Don’t get me wrong, there are many very successful relationships between companies and external TMs but it works better if both of you understand the industry and know what the rules are

(stands back and waits for everyone to start shouting at her…)

On the other hand, as a complete rookie, a good external TM could be invaluable. There’s a lot of work involved that an experienced man or woman would do without thinking, stuff that could escape the notice of someone new to the game. The key is finding someone trustworthy and if it were me, someone slightly away from the area, so confidentiality isn’t likely to be breached.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

50k will get you nowhere on buying a crane lorry suitable for the type of work that’s easy to get in on ,buying from auction is not what it used to be , your not going to buy something you can mend your self these days , second hand cranes can eat money if you don’t know what your looking at .

Mike

It must look like we’re all very negative and this is your dream. I don’t think it’s anyone’s intention to ruin your ambitions but transport has always been tough and nowadays it’s getting tougher

If it’s really what you want to do, find someone local to you who has some experience of owner/driving and listen to them. They should be able to tell you exactly how long it took them to get all the necessary qualifications, tickets, agreements, licences, permissions etc etc to go ahead with what you want

Then step back and think about it properly. This money has been earned by your family, possibly through hard work over a number of years, and they are trusting you to treat it well.

If, at the end of all that, you still want to go ahead, then I wish you all the best of luck with your ambitions and please do come back with any questions so we can help you properly

good_friend:

LL79:
following…
just one think…

You are correct but that way madness lies…

If you are setting up as a new company then you are putting your entire set up in the hands of someone else. That’s fine if it works out but the opportunities for it to go badly wrong are also there. They may not share your values in work ethics, legality, honesty, compliance, tax or any one of a million reasons to have a row. (Remember he/she can always resign)

If you are new and inexperienced and/or unknowledgeable then there is the distinct possibility you could end up in gaol without actually understanding the reason why you are there.

Don’t get me wrong, there are many very successful relationships between companies and external TMs but it works better if both of you understand the industry and know what the rules are

(stands back and waits for everyone to start shouting at her…)

thank you…i would give kidney to my future TM :wink: planing to go through training myself later tho

LL79:
thank you…i would give kidney to my future TM :wink: planing to go through training myself later tho

I think it’s safe to assume you know them well then? That’s good news.

Increasing your knowledge can’t be a bad thing though…