Greenwoods transport

Hi mark,
i remember the old yard well. You would struggle to get modern artics in there now.
in those workshops on the left we could do everything in house, we even built a brand new AEC Mandator once.next to that was the loading bank where every load was handballed on.
i live close to southend now so may have a breakfast in there and see if old bobs about.
steve.

I was driving for Harris & Miners of Devon many yrs ago,a chap called BoB,he drove a Foden artic for Greenwoods used to come down quite often to the West country,always back loaded off Harris & miners!!
I think he then went as a owner driver!,Norman croad,Torquay…

Here are some more names that haven’t been mentioned yet, some were originally from Three Counties Hainault and Edmonton and then Hoddesdon where I worked 75-84.
‘Percy’ Stanley Percy
Jim Bell
Jim Harvey
Bert Petts
Eddie Gorman (Depot Manager)
Frank Everett (Warehouse Manager)
Harry Levi (Shunter)
John Thomson
Terry Dobinson
David Dobinson
Micky Haughey
Carl Jackson
Don Luciano
Mick Moore
Chris Moore
George Rist
‘Dusty’ Miller
Les Bartlett
‘Spooky’ Duke
Eric Harris
Micky Dansie
The Barwick brothers
Pete Smith
Micky Hoffman
Stan Curtis
Sam Elliott
Dave Green
Gordon Pickford
Clive Giles
■■■■ Tunnard
George Marder
Terry philo
Mick Knight
‘Clithero Kid’
Derek Pizey

Young drivers scheme! Me at the wheel of my dads AEC Mandator around 1973 at home in Falkirk Scotland. My dad on the trailer sorting the pallets he had handballed the magazines from.

My mum in front of my dads first Foden with Greenwoods,if my memory serves me right it was an M reg. After this he got a new Gardner 240 SEV738R unfortunately I can’t find any photos of it.

Sorry about the quality of this one, it’s the last lorry my dad drove for Greenwoods a day cab 2800 Daf.
I think the reg was UCW401V and remember my dad telling me Greenwoods had got a batch of them second hand from Blue Dart!

Hi s.mack,
love the suit hanging up in the cab.
steve.

had phone call eddie gorman passed away in june 2017

BANKSMAN:

I worked at hainault for home counties transport then we changed to greenwoods then lex at hoddesdon a company which had the best drivers in the country also the best warehouse men when lex took over the company was never the same i still have great memories of my time working for greenwoods

toshboy:
Hi all,
As an Hanson pensioner ex Goldfields ex ARC ex Amey group ex Ameys transport etc etc . I was wondering what the history of Greenwoods was ,I had been transferred from Ameys Transport(Oxford) to another part of Amey Group before Goldfields took over and remember Greenwoods coming into Wootton ,Exeter, Cheltenham and Frome depots ,when ARC /Hanson came about then Transport seem to disappear and then lost touch with former mates over the years.

How did Greenwoods come to be in the Goldfield camp in the first place ,were they actually merged with Amey/Victory ,or just run alongside , thanks for any forthcoming information

hi Greenwoods was taken over by ARC who was part of Goldfields

BANKSMAN:

BANKSMAN:

I worked at hainault for home counties transport then we changed to greenwoods then lex at hoddesdon a company which had the best drivers in the country also the best warehouse men when lex took over the company was never the same i still have great memories of my time working for greenwoods

Hi banksman,
you must have been there the same time as me and my old man, whats your name?
i left just before the move to hoddeston i can remember they were offering help with mortgages etc for anyone wanting to move there.
sad to hear about Eddie.
steve.

Marky Jennings:
Hi Steve

Yes I see Bob Richards quite a lot, I won’t say he’s a creature of habit, But 11am in the Rumblin tum Cafe, in Hamlet Court Rd, Westcliff on Sea they’ll be a bloke eating tomatoes on toast, that’ll be Bob.

Anyone recognize this place ? photo is of the edmomton depot
where greenwoods were based before moving to hoddesdon i worked at both left hoddesdon when they closed down sad day for everyone frank everitt

Sorry but I can’t get it to go the right way up, but click on the photo and it’ll open in a new window the right way up.

BANKSMAN my name at greenwoods was Frank EVERITT i now work at B & Q TWO days a week at newbury park i still remember all the warehouse men and drivers i stayed with the company untill they closed down .What a sad day it was had great time working for HOMECOUNTIES TRANSPORT GREENWOODS TRANSPORT THEN LEX BUT LEX WAS NEVER THE SAME IT HAD LOST ITS HEART SAD DAY FOR ALL WHEN IT CEASED TRADING

I Remember a chap called Bob who drove for Warboys Depot.
Then he started on his own
My Ex Boss Brian Harris used to load him back

Norman Croad.Torquay…Ex Harris & Miners Driver.

6LX:
I Remember a chap called Bob who drove for Warboys Depot.
Then he started on his own
My Ex Boss Brian Harris used to load him back

Norman Croad.Torquay…Ex Harris & Miners Driver.

His nickname was Cornishman there’s a photo on scrap book memories (bubble an)
Regards gazzap

Leyland Clydesdale Greenwoods.JPG[/attachment]Can anyone remember what colour the chassis were on the AEC’s. were they black or orange?
Took this photo at the junction of A26/A228 seven Mile Lane.

[attachment=0]

Leyland Clydesdale Greenwoods.JPG

Hi mate,
I’m pretty sure the chassis were black and just the fuel tanks orange.
Steve.

pollystag:
Hi mate,
I’m pretty sure the chassis were black and just the fuel tanks orange.
Steve.

Thanks for that.

A few of Greenwoods “pollystag”

L0306.JPG

L0502p.JPG

L1423.JPG

L1424p.JPG

L1451.JPG

Nice pics, they all look like Southampton motors.