Government to shorten HGV driver testing process

SHULLBIT …more classes means more money this lot do nothing unless there is money in it

Shortages do no exist in a free market capitalist system. There is only supply and demand with prices being the equaliser element between these two variables. Therefore a “shortage” (higher demand than supply) can only be “fixed” if the goal is to keep prices (wages) suppressed.
If there were jobs paying 100k a year, with the current cost of living, I doubt there would be any “shortage”. Everey Harry John and ■■■■ with a licence would crawl out of their armchairs for a piece of the pie.

dozy:
Well I at one time ( fridges ) worked for Eddie stobart , those companies I collected for said stobarts were far from the cheapest , they could get there produce collected cheaper but with stobarts ( at the time ) they could ring the office & get 2/3 etc lorries extra that day , if they needed a stand tri they’d get one , if they were told 7 lorries were needed that day , 7 were there , they’d tried other cheaper hauliers but if they needed a extra lorry they couldn’t get one etc etc
Didn’t a year or 2 ago William stobart say if it doesn’t make money we won’t do it .
I’m no stobart fan , 15 yes of pain , but I do think we should be debating the true facts , not recycling what joe bloggs etc claimed 20 yrs ago with nothing to back it up

This made sense to me. Who are you and what have you done with dozy?

osark:
Shortages do no exist in a free market capitalist system. There is only supply and demand with prices being the equaliser element between these two variables. Therefore a “shortage” (higher demand than supply) can only be “fixed” if the goal is to keep prices (wages) suppressed.
If there were jobs paying 100k a year, with the current cost of living, I doubt there would be any “shortage”. Everey Harry John and ■■■■ with a licence would crawl out of their armchairs for a piece of the pie.

I’m a total newbie to the entire profession (driving and logistics). My current/old day-job was computing, so I hestitate to throw my two-pence in, but I have been following this topic for some time now, and I reached essentially a core conclusion: everyone wants hauliers at rock-bottom price.

Contrary to what many think, even computing (software engineering) has seen a “race to the bottom” where now I’m expected to create highly complex software in a matter of weeks for getting on minimum wage (or less, if I end up working 100 hours/week - and that is no exaggeration). It’s just not possible, and after 20 years of watching it slowly rot, I’m quitting.

Back on topic… I see the following:

• Retailers want to pay £2/hr for a haulier to ship their goods to them
  • Some in the haulage industry [midddle-men/brokers] want cheap drivers for maximum profits

The result? They are strongly pro-EU because they can get drivers from abroad who are prepared to work for nothing and break the rules to get the job done.

Now the retailers need to go legit and pay the workers properly, they’re utterly screwed. No more £10 suits from that awful company, for example.

People are pretty stupid - they want cheap stuff, but they don’t ask how they get it.

Grant Shapps (something to do with Transport?) has just said that there will be a single test for LGV (pretty sure he still said HGV!), they’re going to get 30,000 tests done each year and because 99% of drivers were men they need to do something about facilities for drivers, oh, and maybe pay more… So all sorted then.

Sound byte politics at its best.

EDIT: posted about the same time: They've only gone and done it! - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Actually, just noticed in the gov.uk statement they say 'HGV", has it changed back?