Government Solution to Driver Shortage

No need for a change in rules and regs, all it needs is for drivers to refuse to work for low pay and/ or poor conditions, employers then either make improvements or go out of business, if there’s a need in the market then someone else will step up to fill any gaps. If you don’t value yourself then why should anyone else? Its not rocket science.

Vid:
No need for a change in rules and regs, all it needs is for drivers to refuse to work for low pay and/ or poor conditions, employers then either make improvements or go out of business

That’s why we had strong unions which then got branded as ‘militant’. :unamused:

The problem in this case being that we’ve got an industry specific extortionate type and level of taxation in the form of road fuel duty that doesn’t allow the employers any room to meet any decent wage demands.Without many of them going out of business.Thereby creating a situation of too many drivers looking for too little work.Thereby totally defeating the object of bringing the industry to its knees for better wages. :bulb: :unamused:

Carryfast:

Andrejs:

BillyHunt:
After reading various threads on here I was under the impression that all the driving jobs were being taken by our European friends flooding into the country, even to the extent of some companies firing drivers so they could take on cheaper foreign drivers. Is this not the case then? Have people on here been scaremongering? I know, I find it hard to believe as well.

All Eastern Euro drivers work for same rate with you.Lorry drivers can easy get 25k per years for 40 hours per week instead warehouse operative can average get just up 20 K.But about overtime and weekend rates problem with UK work time regulation.Follow rulles any company in UK can pay just National minimum wages for any time in any day .This rulles must changed for anyone from cleaner till ministr.Must be legal requarement for some extra money for night shift and Sunday .And Goverment must try make some rulles to reduces night shift work to any job.At night as much as possible people must rest but not picking COcl cola or tualets paper and much more.But i think it is not possible.If you been in France,Germany you can see there at night work just minimum factory(fresh food mainly) and people.

Our mad open door immigration policy isn’t a case of immigrants working for less than minimum wage although there are dodges where that actually is the case.The issue is that it lowers wages to less than they ‘would be’ across the economy as a whole by artificially increasing the supply of labour. :unamused:

As for moving night trunking to days in a country as small and over crowded as this great that’ll work. :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing:

While the example of Germany’s combination of day time running and stupid low truck speed limits shows the results of all that in the form of traffic clogged motorways by day.But clear enough for plenty of flat out car driving at night which I’ve often taken advantage of. :smiling_imp: :smiley: As for France its population v land mass makes it even easier for a lot more day running.Although in all cases there are plenty of logistics operations throughout Europe.Which,like here, are actually based on the idea of overnight trunking and daytime deliveries.So don’t expect any of those operations to support your ideas. :bulb:

As for Billy’s point concerning East Euro immigrant labour.Ironically the fact that it obviously adds to the issue of artificially over supplying the labour market is a double edged sword for the employers’ side of the labour market equation.In that it just adds to the disparity between prices here v income levels which is probably slowly dawning amongst the East Euro immigrant labour force.IE why work here on a typical zb uk distribution or building sector job.When they can find better quality work,for better wages in real terms,at home.

Which then just leaves the question of wether uk employers want to replace that potentially falling immigrant driver workforce with the non EU groups of immigrants waiting to enter at Calais. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

I know plenty Eastern Europian who work for much biggest money than local people.I know plenty Eu people who have much better car and clothes .I know drivers who 10 years or more never had more money for 300-400 per week.All depend from people as well.

And thousand local people work for lorry drivers ,earn 30k or more.They happy do this job.Because all drivers understand who if he leaving driving job witk 25-35 k per years earning and he can found some job with just 15k-20k or less.But if some people not happy so must try found self in somewhere where pay 40k per years.But if young British people chouse not driving -i think it is not bad.Good ,educated people can found much better job by specific and may be by simeral money.And young people must sleep at night at home with wife,wake up together and more.Money not everythink.IN England plenty people have just 12-15 k per years and pay rent/mortgate ,buy food ,car.But why lorry drivers not happy with 25-35k■■?

Andrejs:
IN England plenty people have just 12-15 k per years and pay rent/mortgate ,buy food ,car.But why lorry drivers not happy with 25-35k■■?

Trust me 12-15 k pa probably won’t even cover the average rent/mortgage and household living expenses.Let alone in the south east.

Carryfast:

Andrejs:
IN England plenty people have just 12-15 k per years and pay rent/mortgate ,buy food ,car.But why lorry drivers not happy with 25-35k■■?

Trust me 12-15 k pa probably won’t even cover the average rent/mortgage and household living expenses.Let alone in the south east.

But people live for this money.May be get some tax credit or more.But near all factory in UK pay just NMW

Yeah, when the Government and employers fail its always EE migrants fault, even though they have the legal right to live and work in UK.

Yes lets do what Andrejs suggests; Scrap driving assessments etc. Watch wages fall, it’d be like letting window lickers drive the special buses.

Andrejs:

But people live for this money.May be get some tax credit or more.But near all factory in UK pay just NMW
[/quote]
Firstly we don’t really have a manufacturing industry here since Thatcher decimated it,among others.What remains just being a case of an excess supply of labour.

The reason being a shift in the definition of ‘Capitalism’ from that which applied in 1960’s America to a combination of 1920’s Britain and Communist China. :bulb:

Dolph:
Yeah, when the Government and employers fail its always EE migrants fault, even though they have the legal right to live and work in UK.

You’re confusing an issue related to historic and ongoing artificial over supply of the labour market using immigrant labour from many different parts of the world with one of victimisation.The relevant bit being that like all the others East Euros aren’t like the indigenous population in being up for a fight with the establishment to improve living standards.Which is why we’ve got a historic open door immigration policy with less developed parts of the world like Asia and Africa but closed doors regarding freedom of movement between our own like Australia and Canada.

On that note the ‘fault’ is with our government’s immigration policy.

Folk moan about immigrants but the UK work force are bone idle. They want maximum pay for minimum hours.

Youth of today are not interested in manual jobs anymore. It doesn’t fit in with wearing tight trousers, going to the gym at 5pm and taking cyristal meths.

ajt:
Folk moan about immigrants but the UK work force are bone idle. They want maximum pay for minimum hours.

Youth of today are not interested in manual jobs anymore. It doesn’t fit in with wearing tight trousers, going to the gym at 5pm and taking cyristal meths.

More like this country’s history has been more a case of success being determined by getting the maximum amount of work out of the country’s workforce for the minimum amount of pay.

While if anyone said that about any of the immigrant population they’d no doubt be branded as racist by the pro immigration agenda. :unamused:

Dolph:

And the right to come here and beg, sell the Big Issue, and annoy people by playing accordions in town centres.

Andrejs:
IN England PLENTY PEOPLE have just 12-15 k per years and pay rent/mortgate ,buy food ,car.But why lorry drivers not happy with 25-35k■■?

Because we don’t have plenty people sleeping in bunkbeds in the broom cupboard and tents in the garden.
Anyway, have you got plenty wet?

Carryfast:

ajt:

More like this country’s history has been more a case of success being determined by getting the maximum amount of work out of the country’s workforce for the minimum amount of pay.

While if anyone said that about any of the immigrant population they’d no doubt be branded as racist by the pro immigration agenda. :unamused:

In US is the same, Capitalism is a double edge sword :smiley:

“Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it’s just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith”

Carryfast:

Andrejs:

Firstly we don’t really have a manufacturing industry here since Thatcher decimated it,among others.What remains just being a case of an excess supply of labour.

The reason being a shift in the definition of ‘Capitalism’ from that which applied in 1960’s America to a combination of 1920’s Britain and Communist China. :bulb:
[/quote]
Anyway in food factory,warehouse,shop assistent and much more place people work just for 7-8 p/h and work just 40 hours,so total can be just about 13-15K.As well to many people have just partime job,work from agency,so not exatly 40 hours.

It aint JUST about wage rates, why some people can’t get drivers for love nor money. Sometimes it is a simple case of what type of driving work is being offered, or the reputation of the firm seeking them and the way they treat their drivers.

Take myself as an example. Agency has no tipper driving work next week, no steel work and no industrial deliveries. Tried to palm me off with pallet network multi drop which I declined as don’t do shop or home deliveries. Driver on tipper for another company, but through same agency I got speaking to on site had also declined this same job ‘offer’. Agency was apparently struggling to fill that contract for a week, so instant ‘driver shortage’.

If you look at the bigger picture, how many folks want to start work at 2am one day, 4am next day, 1am next day, be treated like a leper both by their employer and many customers, as well as finding themselves as easy targets for being parted with their cash by the self financing DVSA, for the most ridiculous petty things. Hardly an attractive proposition is it?

Carryfast:

Andrejs:

More like 20 - 25k living expenses in the South East

Muckaway:

Dolph:

And the right to come here and beg, sell the Big Issue, and annoy people by playing accordions in town centres.

And you think we like when they do the same here? No we can’t even stop them marrying each other at age 13 because we infringe their rights and the Government is sued in EHRC. Let alone stop them from begging, not paying bill or living in illegal houses, because this is their life and culture crap.

Dolph:

Carryfast:

ajt:

In US is the same, Capitalism is a double edge sword :smiley:

“Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it’s just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith”

Capitalism that’s based on exploitation and minimising wage rates and maximising prices to create profit for the advantage of a few at the top isn’t Capitalism.As I said 1960’s America was Capitalism in action.Anything else is just another form of Communism.